Can a mod post the rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
    Gah! I didn't come for an argument! If this dosent stop I'll ask Buliss to toss in a Helicoil.

So basically there still is no concrete ruleset other than politics is often not OK and that selling stuff is not allowed.

And "iowolf" was rude and sexist to "The Gurl" who is an assistant to welder Torker in Real Life, and caused arguments, and left,
    Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but let me try to explain it this way.

Look kid, ................................. the men are talking here! Some are making good points and some like myself are likely making fools of themselves. You needn't feel responcible that the thread you started has veered of course to a road you feel is wrong. In the end it will all work out.

BTW, nice to see some young blood in the board. I for one admire and am a bit envious of the energy you young guys have. That includes the Everready Wabbit, Evan
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Anybody doing any machining?

I have been away from here for several months, and I am glad to learn that not much has changed.

Hope to read and post more in 2009.

Welcome to all the new members who joined while I was off line in the "real world".

PS. I ain't IOWOLF.
      PPS. I ain't millman.
      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

A couple of years ago this forum was a bastard of a place, newbies were jumped on if they asked a silly question...I saw more then one new member chased away..

Today it has changed quite a bit and is quite a pleasant forum to visit...
        Precision takes time.

Comment

Helicoil: REALLY afraid that this was turning into an IOWOLF battle, read some stuff that happened more recently and made sense of it with your help, was asking about the rules not him.

I am still hoping Buliss will at least read this, It's a matter of knowing when something is considered "auto lock", what other than obvious trolling or against-the-law ness will cause banning or warning. Moreover, I do not know of a post, and so some people end up selling things without knowing it is against rules, (even though it is on the bottom), ect

Comment

The Rules.

Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
            Helicoil: REALLY afraid that this was turning into an IOWOLF battle, read some stuff that happened more recently and made sense of it with your help, was asking about the rules not him.

I am still hoping Buliss will at least read this, It's a matter of knowing when something is considered "auto lock", what other than obvious trolling or against-the-law ness will cause banning or warning. Moreover, I do not know of a post, and so some people end up selling things without knowing it is against rules, (even though it is on the bottom), ect
            Well Teenage_Machinist,

I am glad you posted your OP to start this thread as it has raised some very pertinent issues.

Never the less, if you read the "Rules" as posted for the "General" forum, you should find them quite "broad" and if used and/or interpreted correctly are very flexible if we self-regulate ourselves and stay within fairly broad limits:

General (***Viewing)
            This forum reserved for your comments and discussion about anything pertaining to our magazines or machining and metalworking in general. It's a place for feedback, idea exchange, criticism, kudos, sharing your expertise, your hobby or virtually anything else that other home shop machinists would be interested in. I will be monitoring it on a regular basis and will participate as it seems appropriate. However, for the most part, it's your forum. I hope you will use it regularly.
            This seems to say just about all of it:
            It's a place for feedback, idea exchange, criticism, kudos, sharing your expertise, your hobby or virtually anything else that other home shop machinists would be interested in.
            That seems to be saying that just about anything can be discussed - but as George B said after the "Gurl" incident - politics and religion are either out or are to be constrained - seems very reasonable to me.

This seems to say that if all is OK an occasional overview without any action is expected to be the case but if the "axe" is needed to be swung - it will be. It also pretty well says that it is entirely and solely within the authority that any of the Moderators have, but it is mainly the responsibility of George Bulliss.

I will be monitoring it on a regular basis and will participate as it seems appropriate.
            That is the classic "Iron fist in velvet glove" method or approach.

This seems to say that almost anything is OK providing we self-regulate and do the "right thing" individually and collectively.
            However, for the most part, it's your forum. I hope you will use it regularly.
            I think its no accident that the "General" Forum is so well patronised as it does cover most of what the other fora seem to have been meant to address.

Comment

Some posted rules would be handy, in light of the fact my Gaza thread got locked without an explanation, even though the only bitching in it was directed towards me.. Maybe I should have made it HSM friendly and asked what machines are Hamas using to make rockets in their home shops...
              Precision takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Stop trying to rewrite history David. The average German was scared spitless of the Nazi Party and with good reason. The Jewish are White too.

You forget about Eisenhower, Kennedy, won by landslides. You have been making some pretty heavy sweeping generalizations lately. Some are way off base. You need to take a critical look at your own writing before posting it, maybe wait half an hour and read it again.
                Evan you are right on Eisenhower, wrong on JFK. 1960 was at that time the closest race ever, came down to,of all states, Illinois! Other landslides were Nixon and Regan. JFK was my first vote,,,,,dang I am getting old.
                Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Just now saw this thread, so sorry for the late reply. I was away for five days and only checked in for a total of about ten minutes in that time. I know that there are plenty of things that could, and probably should, be done different but the reality is that I can’t spend as much time in this forum as I would like and have chosen the hands off approach partially out of need.

That said, there are a few things I have been planning on doing but keep putting off. One of them is to revisit the rules. After some of the previous problems, I had plenty of good suggestions about what to include in a new list of rules. I am still considering posting some updated rules but am now leaning towards some rather general guidelines.

The major concern I have with setting some new laws to live by is the fact that I am not around enough to enforce them in a consistent manner. If I lock someone for an infraction, I run the risk of starting up a storm because I just let ten people slide for the same thing. Rules without a consistent and fair enforcement aren’t going to help anyone.

So, hopefully after Cabin Fever I will get around to taking care of a few loose ends. I am also planning on adding a CNC forum and a Gunsmithing forum. I know that the General forum will likely continue to be the most popular but I think having a few extras will help to keep some of the threads from getting buried so quickly and make searches a little easier.

I am also thinking of combining the Networking and Third Hand forums. I want to place a sticky or two at the start of this forum that would contain links to threads to answer all those questions that get brought up again and again. I’m open to suggestions (did I just say that) but remember, I move slowly and will not have any time until I get caught up after Cabin Fever.

On a more important note, we finally had a break in the weather long enough to find a tow truck that wasn’t busy and I was able to get the lathe off of my trailer. Just waiting on a vfd for it now.

George
                  George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

George - Thanks for your reply.

One very simple suggestion for organzing fora a bit here, and this has been suggested when you 1st took over as editor - is to create another forum for O.T. posts. That's a very simple addition to create in vBulletin (literally a few minutes). That alone should clean up the General forum quite a bit.

Also think about appointing some forum moderators to help you with the task of dealing with the messages here.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X