This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J Tiers
    I'm not totally sure I followed the logic, but I am looking at a 5207 bearing.... It is definitely a double-row, definitely an angular contact, it has filling slots, one shield, and an exterior snap-ring.

it is 27mm wide. Perhaps not all manufacturers have the same restrictions. Or the issue is specific to that size.
    Upon further research it is possible to get a 5200 or 5300 series bearing in either conrad or max type.

The only catch is the max type are capable of full thrust in one direction and light thrust loads in the other,probably due to the filling slot.

Looking through the SKF website it seems though that the E type are more difficult to find in the 5200 series.----

SKF Ball Bearings Roller Bearings
    E-type (maximum capacity)

SKF E-type double-row ball bearings have filling notches on one side to permit assembling the maximum number of balls into
    the bearing. Similar to the conrad-type, the contact angles in the max-type design converge outside of the bearing. E-type bearings
    are available with seals, shields or snap rings, or a combination of these components. The bearings have the capacity to handle
    heavy radial loads. They also have thrust capacity in one direction, with the ability to accommodate light thrust load in the reversing
    direction.

Max-type bearings are available in 5200 and 5300 series in a wide range of sizes. A pressed steel snap-on cage is standard for this
    bearing type.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      Looks awesome so far.
      I am surprised you did not make a larger chuck mount, and go with a 5C spindle.
      I know your SB uses 1 1/2-8 and that is why you stuck with it, but 5C is so sweet. You could make a threaded adapter for your SB to go from 1 1/2-8 to 2 1/4-8. or whatever it is that SB also uses. Then you could still switch chucks. Perhaps 5C is not your thing, I get that. But you also want 16" of swing? with a small 1 1/2" chuck mount? I just wanted to spark your ideas before you get to far into it. FWIW, an A-type spindle nose is easier to make than a camlock, and even more rigid. I never minded the bolts. Just thinking out loud. Sweet bearings, by the way.
      --Doozer
      I agree. I've been trying to decide on a collet system and I wish my SB9 was big enough to use 5c colletts like the 3c ones. 5c has more capacity and the 3c collets are almost 4 times as expensive. Great build by the way.

Comment

• The lathe does what I built it to do which is to cut large diameter parts. There was far too much concern in this thread about bearings, it really didn't matter much. I use the lathe to do things like cutting flat the edge of a cut off propane tank in order to turn it into a spray tank for driveway sealant. I don't need it often but when I do need to cut up to 16 inches it beats the heck out of my 9" South Bend.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• It couldn't have been said better. Carry on Evan.
          Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
          Evan,

that is a top job.

Congratulations on taking it on, thinking it out, making best use of what you have as well as fending off the "barbarians", "nay-sayers" and "Doubting Thomas-es".

As usual when "bearings" comes up, there is more "charting" and "consulting" and quoting of "learned works" than there would be at an astrologist's gab-fest.

All the "ifs" reminds me of the old saw that "IF your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle", and there's more "buts" than there are in ten Billy-goats.

At least you are having a go and getting your hands dirty instead of sitting on your freckle prognosticating and pontificating. Some won't need a bridge to get over Williams Lake - they can walk over it!!

Or to (sort of) quote the Bard and the Prophet - f*ck 'em!!

I think that Lane - as usual - has injected a lot of common sense as well as confidence in your ability and the ultimate outcome.

I agree with Lane.

I rather think that your project and credibility will come out in better shape that the credibility and egos of some others.

If YOUR new lathe does what YOU want it to do, then by any measure it is a total success - irrespective of the opinion of anyone else.

Your track record is first class thus far and I can't see you blotting your copy-book on this project or anytime soon.

I am looking forward to seeing it in use.

Comment

• Are there any pictures of the finished machine? I didn't see any but could have overlooked something.

Comment

• I have a few a bit further along than this one but I don't know where they are right now.

Comment

• Thanks Evan. That's a very nice looking lathe. It is definitely one of a kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                  Thanks Evan. That's a very nice looking lathe. It is definitely one of a kind.
                  I've seen it in person - it's awesome. Besides having a number of desirable characteristics, the wood is beautiful.

Comment

• It looks really nice and probably excellent for your stated purpose.

I am curious, did you make a tailstock for it?
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

• so it is really wood? why? what exactly was used for the "ways"?

and what kind of wood, what was the percentage of humidity and haw much did it shrink/deform over time?
                      Last edited by dian; 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• I really don't want to discuss it any more. It works the way I need it but the entire discussion around it in the past put me off from talking about it any more.

Comment

• Very nice lathe evan. Love the wood inlays. the chain drive system looks nice too. Very stylish overall.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• Not sure what i like more - the lathe or the picture... thats pretty cool how the lathe is in color but everything else is Black-n-White and slightly blurry.

Thumbs-up to both.

_
                            ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                            http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

• Dian,

If you would read the whole thread, your question would be answered and you would understand why Evan doesn't want to discuss it further.
                              North Central Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                              X