Skin problems O T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin problems O T

With the dry humidity conditions and working with cleaning things in the shop, I have been having problems with the skin on my fingers cracking. The Dermatologist recommended Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Comes in a 16 oz jar at Wal Mart. This is the best thing of this sort that I have found. It is better than Utter Baum that I used for years.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Thanks for the tip Byron.
    I think a lot of weldors deal with this. Wearing heavy gloves...all the heat.
    I suffer pretty bad from that....the ends of my fingers split wide open.
    Especially in the winter with a woodstove going all the time. It gets very dry in the shop.
    I'm going to try that stuff.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I have problems with my skin, also. I will try the Cetaphil.
      Thanks for a really timely post!

Comment

I have the same problem in the winter and have used Corn Huskers cause I can't stand the greasy feel that the wife's lotion leaves me with. Corn Huskers doesn't leave me with the grease feel. Nexttime I go to [email protected]#$% I'll see if I can find the other stuff you mentioned.

Pat

Cracked skin on the fingers hurt like a mother..........

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
          Cracked skin on the fingers hurt like a mother..........

I hate getting "stress cracks" there also, I really try to avoid the onset because they will do nothing but get worse, ---- If you have to keep pushing on with them then tape them up - the tape will hold in moisture and keep pressure on them to keep them from getting worse.

Wanna know the best way to deal with them before they get totally out of control?, You guys will laugh and maybe iv built one to many formula V connecting rods but in effect what you are dealing with is "stress cracks"
          So do a little port and polishing , I get a razor blade and take them down to the minimum thickness before bleeding and match the surrounding area with "thin skin",,, this enables the area to flex as a unit instead of taking the easy path which is the crack and making it deeper, You can also use 80 grit sandpaper, then apply copious amounts of good lotion -- im going to check into the cetaphil stuff, you dont want some lame lotion, in fact you want a stick to your ribs lotion --- I use chap stick sometimes because its got wax in it...

Comment

A cheaper solution

I heard a number of years ago that the problem is lack of oil in the skin. I have gotten just a touch of vegetable oil on my hand and rubbed it in well and the dry skin problem goes away. Doesn't take much and if you rub it in well there is no greasyness to deal with, and your hands will feel so much better.

Comment

I use plain mineral oil for general purpose cutting fluid on the lathe. Keeps the hands nice and soft too.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I used to use "Corn Huskers Lotion" for years. All of the dirt, grease and harsh solvents tore my hands up pretty good. Then, of all people, my Mother suggested I try a lotion used to condition cows' nipples for milking...It's called "Bag Balm"....works like a charm....I have been known to sand or grind down a callus with a die grinder, and smear "bag Balm" into the freshly exposed skin.

Fortunately, I'm retired now...I don't have to get my hands dirty, unless I want to.

Funny thing...After I retired, it was almost a year before all of the imbedded dirt and grease finally came out of my hands...
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

My dermatologist (sp) recommended "Beta-Mide" lotion. Got 25% urea and some lactic acid. Seems to work for me better than Corn huskers lotion or bag balm. Generally not in local stores. Found it at Amazon for $20/Pt. YMMV.
                  John Burchett
                  in Byng OK

Comment

I find the Bag Balm stuff works very well indeed; I was turned onto it by the guides on a river trip in the southwest... they were constantly getting wet hands, rowing and then washing for food prep.... They used Bag Balm to prevent their hands from cracking, which would make rowing the rafts rather difficult....

If my heels start cracking, I put Bag Balm on at night and wear a pair of socks... the problem goes away very quickly. I always take it to Burning Man, as the 10-15% humidity and alkali dust in the Black Rock Desert can raise hob w/ dry skin. It also seems to help heal cuts...
                    Bart Smaalders
                    http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

I like the utter stuff better. ba dah boom

An old machinist trick, put it on before you need it and it works better.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                        I like the utter stuff better. ba dah boom

An old machinist trick, put it on before you need it and it works better.
                        That is like calling the fire department right befor the fire starts so theyeads up .

The problem I have been having lately beside grand canyon sized cracks on the sides of my fingers is the splitting or tearing of the skin where the nail bed meets the finger tip, it is allmost like a razor cut and you can't keep it clean.

I'm gong to try the new suggestions as well, I don't care for the corn huskers stuff.

Steve

Comment

LOL...if the cracks get bad enough...I just crazy glue them together.
                          It stings a bit at first but sure feels better after.
                          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

When I know I'm going to be exposed to solvents, grease, oil, etc. I use Series 8 barrier Cream. The Glycerol prevents stuff from penetrating the skin and removing the natural oils. Not greasy or slippery in use. Plus, dirt washes right off afterwords since the glycerol is water soluble but not oil or gas soluble.

http://www.franmar.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

No connection, etc. just a happy user.

John

Comment

Dry Skin, the machinist's curse

Originally posted by doctor demo
                              The problem I have been having lately beside grand canyon sized cracks on the sides of my fingers is the splitting or tearing of the skin where the nail bed meets the finger tip, it is allmost like a razor cut and you can't keep it clean.
                              Steve
                              I have had this same problem since I started in the trade. I always carry a small nail trimmer to nip off the little bit of skin off flush before it gets torn off. When I used to do a lot of work on dies, with oil stones, they told us to put a little DTE Light (10 wt machine oil) in the pan with the kerosene that the stones soaked in. It really helped keep the hands from drying out. The difficult thing is that we all have to have our hands in greases and solvents a lot of the time and don't always take the time or think to use lotion as much as we should. I use the Cornhuskers and the bag baum a lot. It helps but doesn't completely cure the problem. Prolly nothing will do that.
                              Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X