Fixing a cookie press - Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a cookie press - Any ideas?

My Mother-in-law's cookie press handle broke off this Christmas. Since the relatives now associate me with metal, I am the one she called upon to fix it for her.

Anyway, the cookie press is aluminum. Here are the pictures.

This shows how the handle should be attached.

This shows the current pieces.

This shows the small internal clearance with the plunger.

Any ideas on how to fix this? She would like the handle on, as opposed to just sealing the holes. Looks like there is some residual glue which I don't know if that is from the manufacturer or my father-in-law.

We have an updated model from the same manufacturer. They no longer make them with the handle, probably due to the potential for breakage.

Your help is appreciated.

-T

Looks like it was spot-welded? Find someone with aluminum weld-fu (if you don't know how) and have them render an opinion on the situation.

...most welders when asked to render an opinion on welding aluminum share the exact same opinion and it is spelled $&#!! unless you pay them in cash and beer.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaHSM
      My Mother-in-law's cookie press handle broke off this Christmas. Since the relatives now associate me with metal, I am the one she called upon to fix it for her.

Anyway, the cookie press is aluminum. Here are the pictures.

This shows how the handle should be attached.

This shows the current pieces.

This shows the small internal clearance with the plunger.

Any ideas on how to fix this? She would like the handle on, as opposed to just sealing the holes. Looks like there is some residual glue which I don't know if that is from the manufacturer or my father-in-law.

We have an updated model from the same manufacturer. They no longer make them with the handle, probably due to the potential for breakage.

Your help is appreciated.

-T
      Make her a new cookie press body out of stainless and tig weld on nice ergonomic handle. Then just use the gutsfrom the old press.
      My wife is gettin quite a colection of shop made ss cookie cutters etc, seems like she allways needs a new something when I'm trying to finish a part for Myself.

Steve

Comment

That's the kind of PITA repair I'd try to avoid doing if possible.

However, if it had to be done, I'd make a small dimple from the inside to accommodate the head of a flat head rivet. Then drill the holes in the handle for the rivet body, and also drill holes opposite on the outside part of the handle. You may also need to make a small countersink on that inside face of the handle to seat the dimple in the body. Then you've got a place to put a punch through to set the rivet while it's bucked from the inside. A large piece of round stock held in the vise might give you the backup you need to set the rivet. Check to make sure the plunger can clear on the inside and file or grind as necessary.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

There is also the possibility of aluminum brazing. They sell aluminum repair kits for window flashing and what not. It uses some kind of nasty flux, so you'd want to be sure to get it all real clean before making cookies with it! Anyway, it seemed to work well for me. I was brazing some compartments in a tray made from aluminum diamond plate. The joints haven't broken yet ('course there is virtually no load on them!) If you are familiar with ordinary brazing, its not much different. Practice a bit on scrap and you'll probably be able to braze on the handle and leave it looking clean and professional.

... not sure what the heat would do though. Have to be careful not to warp the tube.

Comment

I like the rivet idea.

Comment

Re: Broken handle

I second the rivets. If you get some aluminum rivets be sure to heat them in the oven on low heat for an hour or so to aneal them. It will make them much easier to work with.

Look at the bright side, if you fix the handle for her it will insure that you always get lots of cookies.
              Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

solder for aluminum

There is a "solder" available that allowes the repair of aluminum,zinc, & various other white metals. It will also attach brass,copper & other metals together. It is basicly? an aluminum/zinc alloy rod with a very low melting point. A quick google search for ...soldering aluminum.... came up with a pruduct called....Dura Fix... You may find it at the local swap meet or flea market.

Comment

Spare broken cookiepress

We just replaced that exact broken press. I think we still have it. let me know if you goof the repair and want to try another.
                  Sav

Comment

Was me and I wanted to fix it quick...put it back where it came from then tack the sides of the handle to the body. 4.387 minute job.
                    If the thing will come apart...short back cap on the tig torch...MIGHT reach in there....creative bending on the tig rod ...eyes crossed...hold breath..
                    Clean, clean ,clean...but I'm bettin more cooking oil, etc are in that metal than you think.
                    Russ
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Glue? The glass-fiber handle of my wood maul is glued to the steel head with epoxy and I doubt it's ever coming loose.

I bought some JB-Weld last summer for aluminum-aluminum adhesive on the recommendation of some on this board, but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Maybe a band (or two) around the outside of the cylinder to attach the handle to.
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I'd just drill out the old rivet in the handle, fit back together and then tig weld both holes shut, thereby welding both handle and cup together. Finish with die grinder and sand paper. This way all the welding is done on the outside so size of equipment will not matter. When completed no one will ever know the repair took place.

Maybe someone on the board that has some tig equipment will do it for you if you pay postage both ways.

Comment

No matter what you do, fix it! A man can not live on metal alone, he needs cookies also.

I had to make an emergency cookie press repair last year. And thank goodness I did cause this years cookies are so good.

rock~
                            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Whoa Mike...two layers of alu...the bottom one being thinner...and prolly really dirty(that stuff is thin...very hard to clean it right and have anything left...)...that could be a tough weld job.
                              I'm seeing the bottom hole getting really big...really fast.
                              For that small, thin stuff...you don't have the control with tig on ac. You'd have so much heat into the thicker piece...you'd vapourize the bottom hole into a swimmin hole size real quick.
                              And you are going to suck dirty air in between the two pieces...guaranteed.
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X