Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wierdscience
    replied
    Russ,what you need are some old water bed mattresses.Lay them up on the roof,when the snow piles up infalte them with an air hose.Presto,giant aircraft style de-icing boot

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by DR
    One thing most of folks don't get is you have far more privacy living in the inner city than you do in the country.

From age 8 on I grew up in a rural area that was formerly dairy farming. 120 acres was about average size of the farms. Neighbors knew every move you made.

Since college I've been in the inner city, nearest neighbor's house is 20 feet away. Neighbors don't snoop into your doings at all like in the country.
    Done both,living in the country meant my house was empty 9-10hrs a day and no neighbor with a line of sight,never got robbed,but many others out my way did.

Cities some are better than others,some a person can get lead posioning easy others a man can be dying in the steet and people just step over him and walk on.

My problem is I'm from the country and my neighbors are from the city.First thing they want are street lights,stop signs and sidewalks along with all the BS that goes with it

Leave a comment:

• ogopogo
    replied
    HI fellow winter haters. This has been a winter for the books and its only getting started. I've lost count of the times i've plowed the lane to the town road. As Torker says its hard to get anyting else done. This week we had a windstorm which snapped power poles and cut off our electricity for 49 hours.
    Hats off to the hydro crews.! Fortunately with our generator and wood stove we kept from freezing up-just.Then when the power was restored our electric forced air/heat pump reqired work!

Leave a comment:

• lane
    replied
    I went to day in a t shirt about 80+ degrees. Super nice Road the lawn mower to chop up the leaves . When it snows her every thing stops and we all stay home .

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    moving to Texas would kill most western Kanadians. Between the heat in summer and the "heat" in the food. Man Texans like spicy food. And the worst part is its hotter coming out than it was going in.!

Leave a comment:

• jkilroy
    replied
    David's idea about the fabric truck unloader is it but make it a continuous loop! Use the parts from swing out awnings from big campers. Put some worm drive reducers on them, put a motor on it and have it turn *real* slow 24hrs a day. Should keep the roof close to spotless.

Whatever you do DON'T let it stop lest it freeze in place!

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Dr, I think you are confusing privacy with anonymity.
    I can take a wizz anytime off of my back porch if I want...that's privacy.

But you are right in regards to local gossip. Lets face it when you are the only target on the horizon you are bound to be in someone's sites.

Lived in cities before, and out in the boonies, and I still believe the best neighbors are the ones that live ten miles away.

Leave a comment:

• Dawai
    replied
    Da rolling fabric load-unloader for truck beds in reverse??

I got a sewing machine if you want to build one.. You got the gearbox..

Higher pitch roofs?? so it all slides off? Avalanche roof style..

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied
    Originally posted by DR
    One thing most of folks don't get is you have far more privacy living in the inner city than you do in the country.

From age 8 on I grew up in a rural area that was formerly dairy farming. 120 acres was about average size of the farms. Neighbors knew every move you made.

Since college I've been in the inner city, nearest neighbor's house is 20 feet away. Neighbors don't snoop into your doings at all like in the country.
    Absolutely, it is still fun to go home and hear all the gossip

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience
    I envy those who have less than 5 neighbors

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    The "wind chill" numbers are meaningless. I just relate the weather as "cold, very cold, bad out there" which actually gives more information than some silly number IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• rbregn
    replied
    Well if it is going to be cold it just as well snow! I am ready for a Chinook to come through though I am getting tire of the double digit below zero though. You can tell some one from the cold country, we don't count wind chill. Wind chill is for Californians that moved here and haven't figured out you should cover up when it is cold. If you dress right, wind chill don't matter! My wife don't agree with me on this though must be a girl thing!

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by Liger Zero
    We're all technical-minded folks here... why can't we come up with some kind of high-power gas or alcohol fueled snow-melting device to help the OP?
    Liger...LOL! I actually have my ol' 572 Rodeck blown alcohol engine sitting under that roof. Maybe just fire the sukker up and I'm sure it'd melt something.
    Ray...This snow is so heavy it's all i can do to push a shovel full down the roof.
    I've used those rakes before when I had my roof shoveling business in 1995.
    They wouldn't take this heavy stuff I don't think. Those are a life saver for steep roofs or housetrailer roofs that you can't walk on.

Geez...my buddy from Kalispel Montana just called.
    He can't make the funeral today.
    They had 11" of snow yesterday..then 18" last night.
    They aren't even letting poeple drive on the roads right now.

Leave a comment:

• Liger Zero
    replied
    We're all technical-minded folks here... why can't we come up with some kind of high-power gas or alcohol fueled snow-melting device to help the OP?

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Torker, the roof job is much easier with a 30 foot aluminum roof rake. Got mine at the hardware about $40.00. Not everyone knows about them though. Beats the hell out of walking around on a slippery roof. If you aren't familiar with them let me know and I'll fill you in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X