Harbor Freight/ Sieg CNC Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight/ Sieg CNC Mills

I just noticed (and maybe this has been mentioned, sorry) that Harbor Freight is now selling two versions of the Sieg CNC mills w/ demo software.

Can anyone tell me how they compare to other Seig CNC offerings (identical, variant??) and as to pricing??

Thanks.

What is this "demo" software? If I'm gonna shell out that much money it had better come with a stable usable software package that doesn't evaporate after 90 days.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Are these the same Sieg CNC machines that John's been posting?

Can you apply the 20% off coupon to them? I think Bill said you can use the 20% coupon on a special order?

Does the spindle have less than a tenth runout
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66052
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66051

Demo version of MACH software included.
        • Direct drive NEMA 34 hybrid stepper motors
        • Three stepper drivers for the main X, Y, and Z axes, and an extra stepper driver for the fourth axis (pre-wired with external socket)
        • 1000 watt closed loop brushless DC spindle motor
        • Variable speed spindle under full CNC control
        • Gearless toothed belt spindle drive
        • All three axes have limit switches and homing
        • Optionally isolate the machine from the computer with the C11G parallel interface board
        • Bedways are fully covered
        • Emergency E-stop switch and chuck guard switch

Overall dimensions: 33.5" min. width to 45.1" max. width x 35.4" deep x 37" high
        Demo version of MACH software included. For a licensed version of the software please click on the following: ArtSoft USA or Small CNC Support

ITEM 66051-0VGA

$4999.99

Comment

Wow, that is the KX-3 (CNC'd Sieg X3) that John's been posting about!

Harbor Freight's got it for $5,000 - 20% = $4,000.

Smithy is selling the KX-3 it for $4,979 with free shipping. Hopefully there'll be a price war

http://www.smithy.com/product_order....id=16&pid=1006
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo

Can you apply the 20% off coupon to them? I think Bill said you can use the 20% coupon on a special order?

I called HF about using the coupon to buy a lathe and was told "no it is good for in-stock merchandise only" I then tried to explain that several people had said they did use them for special order items but I was told flatly that if it was not on the floor then the coupon did not apply, at least that is what they told me on the phone. A couple of days later I was in the store to buy a couple of other items and at the checkout I casually said I don't suppose I could use this coupon on a special order lathe could I? The girl at the checkout said I don't see why not lets ask the manger, who then told us that the instock only clause meant if they were sold out and yes it would be good on a special order lathe. So the moral of this story is that if they tell you it is not good on special order DON'T give up, ask to speak with the manager or come back another time and ask someone else!

Comment

Wow, that is the KX-3 (CNC'd Sieg X3) that John's been posting about!

Harbor Freight's got it for $5,000 - 20% = $4,000.

Smithy is selling the KX-3 it for $4,979 with free shipping. Hopefully there'll be a price war

http://www.smithy.com/product_order....id=16&pid=1006

But is there a valid 20% off coupon out there right now?

Comment

The one I have expired December 31, but the retailers are hurting so bad because of the recession, MSC, Enco, Harbor Freight et al are sending coupons out like confetti.

Comment

The one I have expired December 31, but the retailers are hurting so bad because of the recession, MSC, Enco, Harbor Freight et al are sending coupons out like confetti.
                  I just watched my Dad use a expired coupon at Bass Pro Shops the other day, I think it had expired a month ago Mind you the guy is a little bit more aggresive with his negotiations than most, but I have watched him get managers at almost every store out there and get discounts. You definitely have to be prepared to walk away though, they usually wont let your feet hit the parking lot before they budge.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                    they usually wont let your feet hit the parking lot before they budge.

I have a cousin that is a car salesman at a Chevy dealer and he said most salesman will not let you walk away as long as they can make even a few dollars from you. He said he has taken as little as $40 in commission before letting a customer go, as he put it even $40 is better than watching him drive away!

Comment

"Can you apply the 20% off coupon to them? I think Bill said you can use the 20% coupon on a special order?"

Yes, perhaps you could get the 20% off if it was a special order item, but it is not listed as such. Special orders do not include everything HF has in its catalog.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...ers/index.html

Comment

The demo version of Mach3 is fully functional, forever, except that programs are limited to 500 lines of GCode. The license is $175 or something (the price just went up 10%).
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The KX3 and KX1 that Harbor Freight advertises is the exact same one as sold in the UK.
                          The Smithy one is mechanically the same but comes with a form of Linux and EMC on it, other than that I can't comment as I have no experience of the Smithy software or what comes in the package.

The reason it's shipped with the demo version is that this same machine is shipped world wide, There are quite a few in the Russian State school system, some in Australia, South America and the Far East.
                          If they were to ship with licensed copies of Mach3 there would be no way of knowing who was ripping it off.

When we were first doing this exercise and in all fairness to Sieg themselves, Sieg wanted a dongled version off Art to stop any software theft but we worked out that this was the best way to approach it. Many new machine owners already have a copy anyway.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Ok that's not so bad actually. I was picturing the machine becoming a worthless casting when the trial period ran out and being forced to spend $XXXX on a control program.
                            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Go to Mini Lathe.com--- He has a review. http://www.mini-lathe.com/KX3/KX3-2.htm

The thing has a one shot oiler, can have a coolant pump. Collets are OZ25 wierdness- a spring collet.

There is the KX1 which is based on the X1 Micro Mill. I have an X1. IT HAS SEVERE RIGIDITY PROBLEMS! the CNC version may be better. The thing has the same X and Y as the Mini Mill, and may be even better.

Comment

Working...
                              X