Bronze Brazing Flux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronze Brazing Flux

Is it possible to compound a suitable flux for bronze brazing from commonly available, inexpensive materials ? (Typical application would be joining mild steel to mild steel.)

Believe it or not plain old 20 Mule Team Borax (sodium borate) is the original and best overall bronze and brass brazing flux. Use it right out of the box. No compounding necessary.

Get it from the supermarket laundry detergent aisle. Read the ingredients label carefully. Be sure it's the plain stuff without soap, additives, or perfume in it. What you don't use brazing you can use inthe laundry. It gets cottons so clean they squeak.

You can also get it in plastic jars, pails and drums from a chemical supply house.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 08-04-2003).]

Comment

Forrest, that was my recollection as well. However I don't recall seeing those little boxes of borax (less detergent additives) for some years now. I'll look again the next time I get into town, thank you.

Comment

It's also great against:
        Subterranean termites,
        Drywood termites,
        Dampwood termites,
        Carpenter ants,
        Powder Post beetles,
        Furniture and Deathwatch beetles,
        Old House borers,
        Ambrosia beetles,
        Cockroaches,
        Ants,
        Earwigs and
        Silverfish.

But I use it mostly for brazing and laundry.

Comment

If you call the number of the side of the Borax box, they willsend you coupons for a few cents off the next box.

Since I run a Smithy, I have several pounds of the stuff on hand, as well as the antiborax stuff.

Jerry

Comment

They used to sell borax in "cones" just for brazing...God I feel old!

Comment

Working...
            X