New Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Advertiser

I see HGR surplus is now advertising here, i have spent a lot of money there, they are a reputable company with lots of really good buys. Fortunately they are close to me

My last purchase was a indexer with a 90 VDC motor for $35, not sure why I bought it, just could not help myself

Sales people are real decent to deal with, a real fun place to go to.
    12 Acres under roof of industrial stuff.

Forgot to mention, I am not one to chisel from a fair price, but the guy that I deal with always seems to give me a break, ask for RJ or Paul both nice guys.
    Last edited by Ken_Shea; 01-06-2009, 01:27 AM.

Hey thanks for the tip! I saw a Van Norman on ebay from HGR. I was reluctant to pursue it since it was a long ways away and some of those machinery dealers are a little crooked. I think of machinery dealers like most people might think of "horse traders"

When there is no one who has actually run the machine and all you have is their word that the machine "looks ok" ... well I am skeptical to say the least!

Comment

I will say that most if not all of their machinery is untested as it is all surplus or received from factory closings, I believe they can/will power it up , they also have a 30 day return policy.

Ken

Comment

Being untested isn't really that big of a deal, so long as they are reputable and have a return policy!

Comment

I'd be pretty excited about it if they were in Seattle, or at least Washington state They have a surface grinder for a price I can't say no to except for the location.

Comment

"Being untested isn't really that big of a deal, so long as they are reputable and have a return policy!"

That's fine for small stuff, but what about the time, hassle, and expense of moving heavy machinery?

Comment

Noah, of course has a valid point, and that should come into play when purchasing and/or making an offer on larger equipment, they are very open to offers. Not everything is a deal, that's for sure but there are plenty there. Recently purchased a Goodway VAC-2 industrial shop vac, Made in the USA, all stainless, twin motor, almost unused for $50, these sell for $1300 on the Goodway site. HGR will also ship orders. I can tell you from experience that if you see somthing you want, better jump on it, they advertise heavily, sell on eBay and also walk in, good things go very quickly. The sales guys are run ragged, consequently email or phone orders do not always get processed immeadiatly, and the item can be gone by the time they are able to find and invoice it.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                I will say that most if not all of their machinery is untested as it is all surplus or received from factory closings, I believe they can/will power it up , they also have a 30 day return policy.

Ken
                Assuming you mean at the top of this page, HGR is not "advertising here" but is rather on Google AdSense, such that their ads appear anywhere on the web with AdSense code when appropriate keywords trigger them to appear. (limited by numbers of impressions, etc of course)

Re HGR.... I've been there three times....they will not power up anything...it's take it or leave it.

In my experience HGR is a wonderful place to explore for tooling and all sorts of industrial parts, motors, electrical apparatus...some of it brand new.

But in general is a terrrible place to buy machine tools. They often get the junkiest of the junk and yet still price it nearly as high as regular dealers that will power it up. Some exceptions of course... saw a nearly new looking Mitsui Seiki jig borer there once for example. But even nearly new you have to be careful and machines are often missing critical parts you can't tell in photos. And the salemen don't have a clue about anything...they don't know what's missing and they never know any history on the machines.

And yes you can return in 30 days but that's a joke if you ship something since you pay shipping both ways to get your refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM
                  Assuming you mean at the top of this page, HGR is not "advertising here" but is rather on Google AdSense, such that their ads appear anywhere on the web with AdSense code when appropriate keywords trigger them to appear. (limited by numbers of impressions, etc of course)

Re HGR.... I've been there three times....they will not power up anything...it's take it or leave it.

In my experience HGR is a wonderful place to explore for tooling and all sorts of industrial parts, motors, electrical apparatus...some of it brand new.

But in general is a terrrible place to buy machine tools. They often get the junkiest of the junk and yet still price it nearly as high as regular dealers that will power it up. Some exceptions of course... saw a nearly new looking Mitsui Seiki jig borer there once for example. But even nearly new you have to be careful and machines are often missing critical parts you can't tell in photos. And the salemen don't have a clue about anything...they don't know what's missing and they never know any history on the machines.

And yes you can return in 30 days but that's a joke if you ship something since you pay shipping both ways to get your refund.
                  Cant really disagree with your statements, however, they are not machine dealers in the same sense that you are comparing, they are what they say they are, an "Industrial Surplus Sales" company.
                  They will power up drill presses and such. But it is our responsibility to know what we are buying. That is the way it is, I don't have any problem with that, as far as pricing goes, it is and always will be, a buyer beware, just as is true for "Machine Dealers". HGR does seem to just throw prices and see if they stick. I did not say nor mean to imply the place was perfect, just a great place to visit and look for things of interest.

I know for a fact that if you purchase a machine that has serious troubles they will work with you on some refund if that would be a solution.

Comment

They will power up drill presses and such.
                    I presume by that you mean any machine that will plug into a standard 115 volt wall socket ? If so that's nearly a moot point as 98 percent of their machine tools are 3 phase and those are the ones that need power up the most...esp the CNC machines.

I know for a fact that if you purchase a machine that has serious troubles they will work with you on some refund if that would be a solution.
                    True to some extent...esp when they know the problem is their fault... like bent sheetmetal from their gorilla forklift drivers.... which brings up another issue with them.... you need to be there when they load... they dented the heck out of the two machines I bought in loading... luckily one of them I bought mostly for parts anyway. But I did get negociate some refund on the damages... not enough really, but some.

Comment

like bent sheetmetal from their gorilla forklift drivers

No argument there, that's a fact, solution for me was to ask for Matt, and do what I do, supervise the pick up and then give the guy a decent tip when they do a good job and help get it loaded.

They do have three phase for powering up smaller stuff, but there is no way they are going to or are able to power up CNC machines, some huge, for every interested walker by that has some interest, that is all they would get done doing and all they would get out of it is "OK, thanks"

Comment

Holy--- 15 ton BOY injection-molder WITH hopper-dryer, same model/vintage my uncle trained me on all those years ago... for $600.

...bet the screw or the screw-tip/NRV is worn/broken. Very easy to do with a wee molder like that.

Got a lathe, got a mill... I *could* make molds....

Wife would kill me though.
                        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                          Wife would kill me though.
                          No likely, all machinist have 9 lives, just for that very reason

Comment

*counts machines in workshop*

Well then I'm ok because I have four left. Means I can get the molder, the press-brake and the motorcycle and still have one left over!
                            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

They do have three phase for powering up smaller stuff, but there is no way they are going to or are able to power up CNC machines, some huge, for every interested walker by that has some interest, that is all they would get done doing and all they would get out of it is "OK, thanks"
                              They know from past experience I am a serious buyer but still refused to power up anything for me. Maybe you are more handsome and charming

Comment

Working...
                              X