MCMaster Carr Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCMaster Carr Sucks

I finally found a supplier Mcmaster Carr that would sell me 4 feet of 6 inch schedule 40 clear food grade PVC Pipe. NOW i call leave visa number and 4 hours later some guy calls and says we wont sell to you. I was told they ONLY sell to existing customers> OK thats that, No xmas card for them this year.

If you think you will use them as a regular supplier, open a new account with them. If this is pretty much a "one time" deal, then get someone with an existing account to get it for you and just reimburse them.

I tried looking in your "public profile" for your location, but you don't seem to want to let much information about yourself be known. Someone like myself could order it for you and then forward it to you once received.

A lot of suppliers don't sell "over the counter", but only to those with accounts. Like I said, open an account if you are going to use them. I think it has to do with how taxes are collected and paid. The Local Grainger store used to say something like "wholesale only" or "no public sales". They kind of looked the other way for a while and guys would buy from them and pay cash, but say it was for the company they worked for. A few years ago, they tightened things up and now will only sell to those with an account number.
    Last edited by Jim Caudill; 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I've never had a problem with them... all of the bearings and some of the raw stock I built my recent stirling engine with came from them. I order online, using a credit card, and it arrives the next day. Are you in canada? I have heard some members griping about not shipping to there.

Phil

Comment

McMaster Carr? You have got to be kidding, I have used McMaster Carr for the last 26 years with no problems at all! The last thing I ordered was two bronze bearings that cost less than $15.00 and they shipped them right out. I know Grainger has this thing about being particular about who they sell to, which makes exactly ZERO sense, but I have never heard of anyone having a problem with McMaster Carr.

Comment

DO NOT!! They're gods!!! I would die without them!

Seriously, I remember the bad old day when I could spend a week trying to get things like stainless metric socket cap screws. Also, I'm in a messenger zone, and if I get an order in by 11 am, I get it that afternoon, often by 3 pm, at teh same price as UPS. How sweet is that!

I long ago learned to BS my way into "trade only" places. Lie boldly! I'm a 1 man shop but have had a M-C account for decades. Try opening an account online, and then use the credit card. I never use open account payment.

Comment

I have a online account with them. Go to their website and set it up. Then they will take your order and not ask any questions. I have been doing it this way for years.

I think they are a great supplier.

Brian

Comment

Mike is in Canada. They won't ship to Canada.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

they wont ship outside of the us, the reason being something pathetic like homeland security,

however it is easy to trick them by using a forwarding company, ie a US address, and they send it on.

Comment

I had no way of knowing his name is "Mike" or that he lives in Canada. Too bad he's so reluctant to include anything in his profile.

Comment

Originally posted by thistle
                    they wont ship outside of the us, the reason being something pathetic like homeland security.
                    It's not a pathetic reason -- the Homeland Security Act now requires a ton of paperwork to ship stuff out of the country, and there are all kinds of legal liabilities if the recipient does something stupid with the stuff the vendor ships.

So a lot of American companies just don't want to deal with it...

"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few large, long-established customers in Canada.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.
                    "

But hey, I sleep better at night knowing my children are safe because we won't ship food-grade PVC tubing to Canada, especially since the tubing probably came from China in the first place...
                    Last edited by lazlo; 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

They sell & ship such a large variety of products that with the export laws being what they are, it can well be a nightmare to keep up with what is considered a violation and what is not and who or what country is on the approval list to sell to. It is simpler to just cease export, which is what they have done, worldwide, not just to Canada.

They reported a violation themselves, paid a fine, and at about that time stopped their export operations.
                      Jim H.

Comment

If a lurker may comment, I had used them for years, under a business account, ( company I worked for had it ) and had super service. I could order a screw & washer, & get the same great service at the Hangar, as the plant got with huge orders.

Haven't had occasion to use them in years, but I opened a personal account last Friday, & ordered $15.00 worth of Bundy brake tubing, & got like, three emails confirming my order, shipping, thanks for using, ect.

My experience is probably small compared to some folks, but I don't remember them ever not having stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Thruthefence
                          My experience is probably small compared to some folks, but I don't remember them ever not having stock.
                          If it's out of stock at the local warehouse, they ship from one of the other 4. Occasionally my stuff comes out of Chicago and takes an extra day. I also think there's certain obscure stuff that isn't stocked everywhere.

Comment

I only ordered from them once, and had a perfect experience. Like $50 worth of bronze bearings and such. Easy Peasy. And their web s1te r0XoRZ MI boX0rz.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              It's not a pathetic reason -- the Homeland Security Act now requires a ton of paperwork to ship stuff out of the country, and there are all kinds of legal liabilities if the recipient does something stupid with the stuff the vendor ships.

So a lot of American companies just don't want to deal with it...

"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few large, long-established customers in Canada.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.
                              "

But hey, I sleep better at night knowing my children are safe because we won't ship food-grade PVC tubing to Canada, especially since the tubing probably came from China in the first place...
                              Interesting you should mention China. I was building a testset at work a couple of years (but not pre-911) ago. On the same day, I ordered some wall wart power supplies from Canada and some really obscure line cord parts (that are usually over-molded) from China. The parts from China took days to arrive, the Canadian stuff a couple of weeks - all with standard "when it gets here" shipping methods. Apparently, the pipe from China moves at a pretty brisk pace, but Homeland Security needs to keep a pretty tight lid on all those dangerous Canadians and their stuff.

-Mark
                              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Working...
                              X