Sieg X4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sieg X4

I read on a blog that Sieg is coming out with an X4 mill.
    Has anyone heard the details???
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

I am guessng you are talking about the LMS blog:

http://littlemachineshop.blogspot.com/

Looks like it is about the size of an RF45 or bigger... not exactly what I imagined the next size up would look like in their product line.

Hijacking your thread: I notice that SiegInd website now has a link on it to Harbor Freight, so I guess that retail relationship is for real. Can't wait until I can take somebody's 5 year old photoshopped 20% off coupon to my local HF store to get a good deal...

Comment

Judging by the scale I would say that base weighs in more than a whole RF45.

Must be 3x4'-

Edit that,it's not a mill,it's a table top horizonal boring mill for J.Stevenson,prolly didn't even get me one while he was there
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

What Darin said -- that's a big damn casting for an X-series mill. Just a guess, but that looks like it might be something more like bed-mill -- a Tormach competitor perhaps?
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

It's bigger than a Tormach base too.

Wonder if they are making an attempt on a VMC?

Comment

All I can say at this time is that some of their products are moving upmarket.
            A lot of Chinese manufacturers are getting fed up of the cheap junk jibs when the actual fault lies at the western buyers doors.

They have identified that there is a limited market out there for quality goods. Tormach is a good example, Greg Jackson won't tolerate rubbish and the factory he deals with accepts that and don't ship him rubbish.

The result is he can sell all he imports and has a very good reputation both with users and the factory.

One thing no one has picked up on and I can mention it seeing as it's in the picture, note the ways at the rear of the picture ?
            They are designed for linear rails.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I suspect that it will be something to compete with square columns, or some thing. OR it could be a bench alternative to big mills.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                One thing no one has picked up on and I can mention it seeing as it's in the picture, note the ways at the rear of the picture ?
                They are designed for linear rails.

You mean the ones with the four tapped holes?To me that looks like the column mounting pads.The others look like some for of box way.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                  You mean the ones with the four tapped holes?To me that looks like the column mounting pads.The others look like some for of box way.
                  That's what I meant by it looking like a bed mill. I think the two columns in the foreground are the column mounts, and the two longer rails in the back of the picture are linear guides for a bed saddle.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    A lot of Chinese manufacturers are getting fed up of the cheap junk jibs when the actual fault lies at the western buyers doors.

They have identified that there is a limited market out there for quality goods. Tormach is a good example, Greg Jackson won't tolerate rubbish and the factory he deals with accepts that and don't ship him rubbish.
                    But the Tormach is in a very different price-point: $10,000 or so, with the stand and shipping.
                    I think that was Gene's brilliance -- identifying that there was a market for a better quality machine at a higher price point.

I think we all agree that the Chinese are capable of making good machinery. The problem is that no one, even the Chinese, can afford to make a Tormach at Harbor Freight prices.
                    But judging by Tormach's success, there's a substantial market of serious hobbyists willing to pay for higher quality machines.

I think Sieg is pricing the KX3 in the wrong segment: as several folks pointed in that thread, you're paying $5,000 for a CNC'd X3 -- the economics don't really add up.
                    Last edited by lazlo; 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Not sure what it is but I want one.

Comment

Hopefully, they don't stop making all the small stuff. I think they should just drop the really small stuff (C0-C3, X1, X2), and bump up the quality & price on the larger stuff (X3, & C6).

John,

The next time you talk with them, can you please tell them to doe something about their website? The stupid thing doesn't even load properly.
                        -Dan S.
                        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by dan s
                          Hopefully, they don't stop making all the small stuff. I think they should just drop the really small stuff (C0-C3, X1, X2), and bump up the quality & price on the larger stuff (X3, & C6).

John,

The next time you talk with them, can you please tell them to doe something about their website? The stupid thing doesn't even load properly.
                          I just went to their site, worked fine. Their White and Blue line, they are making 12x36 sized lathes.

Comment

Frankly I think they should keep the mini lathe and mini mill.

There is a lack of such sizes...

Sherline has the minaturist's lathe down but nothing for people who want to do fullsize work, 3/4 bar thru spindle bore, ect. but still tiny size.

What's a bed mill?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
                              Frankly I think they should keep the mini lathe and mini mill.

There is a lack of such sizes...

Sherline has the minaturist's lathe down but nothing for people who want to do fullsize work, 3/4 bar thru spindle bore, ect. but still tiny size.

What's a bed mill?
                              I think the 8x14 Lathes fit the bill just fine for small size but good rigidity. The mini lathes have a flawed design. Their beds and cross slides should be wider, and more massive...

Comment

Working...
                              X