Removing large lumps quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing large lumps quickly

Had a job today to make something that looks like a lathe chuck jaw but it was 8" square and 3" thick and needed to remove the two steps out of it.

Setup to do the job and realised that many won't have seen this done even though they may have read about it.

It's called chain drilling and involves drilling a series of hole that meet on the edges. Try to cheat and only do 7/8th of a hole and the drill wanders if you have any depth to go.

Excuse the grainy picture but it's off my phone and it doesn't like low light.

10mm drill held direct in 10mm R8 collet, spacing also at 10mm, stop on quill to stop hitting bed .

There is some packing under there to raise it but it's not clear.

Job is held by the two loose vises I posted about in another thread. These work brilliantly as when you tighten the last jaw it pushes down on a taper and also snugs the work down with it as opposed to riding up as do many vises.

Hold in the vise and a few swift smacks with a bopping stick and it's ready for a clean up.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Nice job, did you leave it in the vice and finish with a file!

Peetr
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

tactics that give you one or two extra large chips like that are very efficient

Comment

What? You don't have a cutting torch? Or is that SS?
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

We even have bandsaws over on this side of the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P.
            We even have bandsaws over on this side of the pond.
            Bandsaw would have taken longer and dulled the blade considerably for a job like this.

Drilling must be one of the most efficient and least expensive (in term of tooling) method of removing metal.

Comment

John

I did a quick search for the loose vise post you referred to above without success. Could you point me to it?

Thanks in Advance,
              Cam
              Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

i was just at the same thing,
                i had a bar of durabar around here somewhere, wanted to slice a bit off to make a diamond lap,
                couldnt find it ,
                so found a bit of an old machine and chain drilled out a circle of iron, spaced the holes by eye and came back around with a larger bit .

probably easier to chain drill an 8 inch circlefrom flat , than saw 1 inch off an 8 inch round

here is another application for chain drilling.....post #1 second picture down

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ht=hms+warrior

Comment

Here's one from Grizzly:
                  http://grizzly.com/products/Milling-Vise-2-pc-/H7770

Comment

Sir John: I do not speak English English very well what pray tell is a "bopping stick"? Gary P. Hansen
                    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Birmigham screwdriver (A Nammer)
                      You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

eh? bopping stick-stick that goes BOP
                        ie steel bar
                        if you have a lot of hammers, you will eventuly get a bunch of bopping sticks or whatever you call them.
                        hammers get chased out the shop, by steel bars. eventuly if you want to hit something , there are no hammers, just a selection of steel, brass ect bars.
                        i think the hammers , go to the same place ball point pens go.

Comment

Same function as a "grrreat fookin' 'ammer" I'd guess.
                          Nothing chases those out except the hot wrench.
                          Len

Comment

was that all done with one drill without resharpening? Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Various replies,
                              Got the free vises from a company called Chronos in the UK

Here's their picture out the catalogue but it's too small to see properly.

Similar to the Grizzly ones but I think better. The Grizzly ones have 1 or possibly 2 clamps screws at the far end and the grub screw tightens the vise but there is no clamping close to the jaws.

The ones I have has one short tee bolt at the end to hold the vise in position and the other long tee bolt tightens the jaw and holds the vise close to the jaws so it can't lift.

Mine had Vertex on them but they could have come from anywhere as Vertex also buy in and rebadge on some items.

I dare say they are available from other places as well.

Alistair, Yes just the one drill, 4 facet ground, and a dash of cutting oil.

Bopping stick = large hammer = Birmingham screwdriver.

Torker,
                              No I don't have a cutting torch, I handed my oxy-acetylene bottles back in as the rental was too much for the little I need to do with gas. Even so this block has been precision ground and cleaning the cut up would have been harder on tools than the chain drilling marks.

I do have a bandsaw, but at those hights the cuts would have been around 45 degrees so they wouldn't have met in the corners.

Probably took 20 minutes to drill these holes, didn't notice the time, possibly a bit longer but I was feeding motor end plates into the CNC as I was doing this.
                              An end plate mod, which is quite simple only takes about 4 minutes so I am up and down like a bubble in a spirit level.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X