$252 Dollars a Pound??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $252 Dollars a Pound??

How do you do work for people when steel companies can charge this price (not even taxes on it yet??) for stainless steel 4 inch schedule 80 pipe? Im amazed. Its getting tougher to do small jobs and quote succesfully in the small home shop.

Steel prices crashed last Summer. The problem is that the local distributors have a lot of stock at the "old" prices, so they want to sell based on the peak prices from last year.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

That's true... but on the flip side when steel prices ramped up they tagged the cheaper steel they had in stock with the "New Higher Replacment" cost. We buyers just can't get a break.

Originally posted by lazlo
      Steel prices crashed last Summer. The problem is that the local distributors have a lot of stock at the "old" prices, so they want to sell based on the peak prices from last year.
      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Material Prices are Scary. You should see the alumina grinding beads I initially wanted for epoxy granite. They looked great until I found out that they only make 30 lbs per month and that they are $500 per pound!

Comment

Thats a freaking rip off, I think onlinemetals.com could beat that price.
          James Kilroy

Comment

Just a FYI:

Stainless steel is going to remain pretty costly. Although most metal prices dropped significantly, nickel is still on the rise. I just read an article about the soaring price of nickel. The LME has nickel at $12,510 per ton

Still, that seems pretty outrageous for SS pipe!

Comment

Hmmm I recently bought a 12" piece of 4" SS pipe sch 80 from our crop shop here for $80 inc txs, so perhaps u should shop around a bit. Either that or ask him to remove his balaclava so you can see his face when you fork over your wallet!!
              I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

I raid my local dealer cutoffs at $1 lb for steel. $3 lb for Ai. I just got a quote for an 8" x 8" piece of 1/2" T6 plate at $65 which I thought was a bit excessive considering I bought the same piece previously for less than $20... They want to sell that stock that cost so much last year.

Ken-

Comment

Metal Mob

I spoke to the Kitchener Steel Guy who gave me the **** prices. I told him i didnt want him to ever call me he got my number from metal unlimited in london and the kitchener steel guy told me he has this area and all have to go through huim. I laughed and said just like the mafia EH?? Then i reminded him how much steel I USED to buy from him with my successful construction business i used to manufacture and said i got jerked around by you guys so bad i just went to youre suppliers and got it way cheaper without the extra touch of Bull**** you seem to thricve on. Basically im pissed off. Anyhow more new quotes and i think some pricing wii change drastically for me and my customers. Next day or two will tell. You really got to know where to go. Thanx all Yup 250 plus fior piece of pipe wow./

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer
                    That's true... but on the flip side when steel prices ramped up they tagged the cheaper steel they had in stock with the "New Higher Replacment" cost. We buyers just can't get a break.
                    That's why the scrapyard owners are being jackasses about scrap prices -- they were buying sh!t up left and right during the steel boom, but thought that trend was permanent, and got stuck with their pants around their ankles when the bottom dropped out of the market.

Hence the penny a pound some of the scrapyards are offering for steel.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Prices are high

Just paid $2800.00 for 29" of 3" x 7" sae 660 bronze!
                      And I still had to machine it!! |)
                      please visit my webpage:
                      http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

No free lunch. about the only cheap stainless you will find is in the scrap yard, Tube, pipe, rounds,sheet. Even then you need a friend.

here in the pacific northwest canneries have closed up and have been torn down so there is coveyor belts, pipes, shafts and all kinds of parts from food processing going back to be re-melted or recycled.

You can save a bundle by buying metal that will do the job that will be recycled. even if you have to change the plans.

welcome to 2009.

Comment

General bearing want to charge me 65$ this afternoon for a roll of steel shim 6X50 in .002
                          cost 28.35 shipping +tax incl. from Travers canada

Comment

There's a shortage on pipe. All the terrorist are buying it up to make bombs and rockets. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer
                              I heard it said that that is the correct way to run a business. For some reason, going the other way isn't. Therefore, everytime there are price increases the suppliers make out like bandits.
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X