Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transparent aluminum(star trek) is real !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transparent aluminum(star trek) is real !!!

I was watching "how stuff works" tonight and the has a segment on transparent aluminum. I thought it was just something they made up for star trek, but its real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
    -Dan S.
    dans-hobbies.com

Yep. And when you anodize aluminum, you're really converting the surface to a thin layer of sapphire.

Comment

That's pretty cool, but the Wiki links to an Air Force article from 2005.
      So have they had transaparent aluminum armor for almost 4 years now?

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
        So have they had transaparent aluminum armor for almost 4 years now?

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131
        how stuff works said they are still testing, but they said it could stop a 50 cal round. I think I caught the tail end of the demonstration video (walked out to the shop, to check on the ban saw).
        -Dan S.
        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I found the manufactures technical data sheet, it's a very interesting material. The melting point is so high you could use it for a viewing port on a kiln/furnace.

http://www.surmet.com/docs/Product_sheet_ALON.pdf
          -Dan S.
          dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Reading the Air Force article in more detail, it's not aluminum, it's an aluminum oxide: a.k.a. a derivative of sapphire (saphire = Al2O3 = aluminium oxide).

In other words, it's a transparent ceramic, and not a transparent metal
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Where do you get this Aluminum and does it differ from the much more common Aluminium???
              Precision takes time.

Comment

As Robert points out, this material is not metallic. But there are transparent metallic materials. Or to be more proper - degenerate semiconductors. Indium tin oxide (ITO) is an example. Useful because it conducts electricity and is also transparent to visible light. LCD's use it as LC control electrodes. (more recently they use a close relative of ITO).

Comment

Germanium is transparent.. To far IR.

Comment

i always been interest in communacations and futureistic stuff as well and have found over the years alot of what we see on tv is true in real life and has been for usualy a number of years before we the public get to really see it ,. these days i just laugh off the stuff when i see it on tv and tell the wife look something else that they been hidding again herhee llololol..

Comment

Reading the Air Force article in more detail, it's not aluminum, it's an aluminum oxide: a.k.a. a derivative of sapphire (saphire = Al2O3 = aluminium oxide).

Maybe so but they billed it last night on the program as transparent aluminum. I saw the program myself and found confirmation in what various guys here have said about cleaning aluminum and that it starts to oxidize post haste causing problem with those "wonder rods" used for welding/brazing it.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Yep, and the Bling King's favourite -- Chrome is transparent.

Regards Ian.
                        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Just EXACTLY as window glass is a transparent form of silicon.
                          So what is the big deal??? :-)
                          ...lew...

Comment

Want something cooler from "Star trek".

The British are working on electromagnetic shielding for there armored vehicles, saw it on one of those future weapons type shows.

They fired a shaped charge at it, might have been an RPG 7, can't remember for sure, but it barely scratched the paint. The E/M shielding disrupts the formation of the gas jet when the weapon detonates so there is just a regular blast with no penetration.

Beam me up Scotty!
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The big deal is that it combines extreme hardness with extreme shatter resistance which is a very rare combination and makes it suitable as transparent armour. It has been shown to resist multiple 50mm impacts in a form entirely suitable for use as a windshield or aircraft canopy.

It isn't aluminum oxide but aluminum oxynitride.
                              Last edited by Evan; 01-09-2009, 11:00 AM.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X