Every home should have one - corkscrew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every home should have one - corkscrew

I'd never make a good inventor - I couldn't even begin to visualise something as complex as this. Makes it all the more fascinating:

http://www.oneofonehundred.co.uk/media/corkscrew.php
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

That was great, I admire people's vision and creativity with found objects.

John

Comment

Wow. I do like the casting bit, copying all of the parts. Quite nice.
      I also enjoyed the machining part.

Nice find.
      rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Neat machine but that oneofonehundred group has to be based on the most pompous ideas, enforced exclusivity, viewing by invitation only, to "preserve" the art. What they really mean is to protect the high price.
        James Kilroy

Comment

The Roman empire fell about the time that they had made elaborate and mechanized amphora decanter.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
            I couldn't even begin to visualise something as complex as this.
            I wouldn't sell yourself too short. If you look at the whole, it's impossibly complex, but if you think of it as large parts (drive the corkscrew in and retract, grab the cork, tilt the bottle, etc.), each of which are comprised of individual smaller parts, it becomes a little less daunting. Still amazing, but he didn't build this thing in a weekend, either. Loved it when the flyball governor actually started to serve a purpose--at first I thought it was just a gewgaw.

I think that explains the lasting allure of 19th-century engineering. When you look at a steam locomotive, you can actually hold it all in your head, see how it all fits together. A turbine engine on an airliner is much simpler in its most basic operating principle, but every detail is filled with immense complexities--the materials science alone is the product of decades of work by thousands of researchers. Every time I sit in an airliner at takeoff and feel that first surge of thrust I think of how many man-years of work it took to bring us to that moment--how many plates are kept spinning in absolutely perfect alignment to make the whole thing work so flawlessly. And how much most people take for granted all the machinery that keeps civilization running.

Comment

What a great thing :-D

Now, to have the time to do that, and find out how to get paid for it...

He had a great junkyard, too.

Comment

very cool way to live IMHO
                "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

is anyone selling the casting kit? very neat

Comment

when is the cnc version arriving....

Comment

"when is the cnc version arriving...."

This is a bit of my gripe about CNC. Those operators think that anything that can be dreamed of or up should instantly be converted to digital.

True artisans make something, and copy machine operators can take that knowledge and turn out thousands for a penny on the dollar.

Were the questioner of when the CNC version arrives to say he is going to make something like that with a manual, go for it.

No one has to give you the code to put a piece in and cut and take a valuable piece out. You can't do it, go cut something else.

Cheers,

George

Although it is about as much Rube Goldberg as you can find. Very complicated, to uncork a wine botle. I uncork a few, make about 40 gallons per year.

Comment

Wanting to make something like this on a CNC is similar to going to a musical concert and listening for the musician to hit a sour note. You might identify the mistruck note, but in so doing...you completely miss the music. If somebody has to explain the Corkscrew to you, then no amount of explanation is ever going to help you. It's not about manual, or CNC, or even technical expertise. Those things are only the instrument the artist uses to create the music in his vision. Of course it goes without saying this man is skilled in the art of machining, but his creation is the music, not the way he created it. His greater skill is perhaps in seeing something for what it could be...not necessarily for what it is.
                        There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

missing the point
                          i am being silly, the cnc version would look like a refigerator, and have all the mechanism covered by way covers, close door, hit start ,open, get glass

wouldnt be very interesting
                          mind you i am surprised the health and safety knobs in the UK have not shut him down- producing machines with no gaurding.....

looks like some of it was done on cnc , there was a shot of a gear shaper at work too

Comment

Why did he re cast everything? No sound card on my computer....

One of those items was a Raleigh 3 speed chain ring... dime a dozen, hardly worth casting a new one... unless getting one's name on it is the point.

-Softtail-

Comment

My guess is that he wanted everything in bronze, and also being an artist he probably wants everything to be his creation and not something off the shelf.

As for using CNC for projects like this, I don't see how anything gets taken away by using it. Work of art should be appreciated for what it is and not how it was rendered. Of course in the real art world, who did it, when it was done, and the method used may be more important than the creation itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X