New to me 10EE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 10EE

I posted this over on PM in the Monarch section, but I know some here don't go over there. Can ya tell I'm like a proud papa on this one..

I decided I needed a new lathe and have been searching for a particular model for a few years on and off.

I found an Monarch 10EE on craigslist in I think in July or August ’08 and drove about 80 miles to see it. It was a mess, but I bought it any way.

Here’s the before shot from the day I initially looked at it

Continued in the next post

Ryan

Here it is arriving home:

Some pics of stripping, cleaning, cleaning and some more cleaning:
    Motor/generator unit out

all cleaned up

Comment

Comment

And finally the other day I got everything put back together:

Comment

I still have a few electrical things to work out, and get everything dialed in but the hard part is now over with.

In case you're wondering about the color, machine tool grey is not an exciting color for me, and orange is my favorite color. I've never seen an orange 10EE, so I figured why not...

Ryan

Comment

Ryan,

That is a very nice overhaul, its looking a million dollars, How does she run, Have you done much machining with her yet?
            You have good reasons to feel proud, for your hard work. A quality machine to treasure

Comment

Wow
              Nice machine.
              But I have to ask, Is that Kubota Orange. I've painted a lot of stuff in my shop that color and love it. I painted a street bike with it and then saw a jeep at a gas station and knew right away what that guy had used.
              Sweet lathe, I know you will enjoy it.

Ted

Comment

Wow!

What a transformation. How many hours of sweat did you put into it? How much parts replacement / repair did you have to do?

Wonderful looking machine Ryan.
                "When it comes to paradigms ... shifts happen" - Alain Rossman

Comment

Nice job,that much cleaning and scraping requires the patience of a saint.

How long did the job take?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Fantastic. Let us know how you do on the electricals. The 10EE's that I used had large rectifier tubes in the bottom of the lathe that would give us fits at times.

Nice job though. If you have the $$$ Monarch will come and regrind the ways for you.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm jealous.

rock~
                    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Beautiful work Ryan, and a nice color to boot, Home Depot Orange just like tony stewart. LOL

Edit: Or maybe the General Lee!!

Comment

Cracking job - I bet some hours went into that!
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Amazing work, love the color! Some day...
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Well, I can honestly say that's not the color I would have chosen, but barring that trivial fact, fantastic work. I still want a 10EE, but they're rare as hen's teeth up here...

On the color, back when I was working on my Nichols mill, I had a few suggestions on... unconventional colors. It was, when it arrived, a medium-dark red, which was a repaint- at least the second color, if not the third, over the factory light grey.

I happened to have a gallon of catalyst-type epoxy in fire-engine red, and seriously considered using it. I wanted an oil/solvent proof paintjob, and hey, I already had the paint...

I ended up wimping out and bought some light grey industrial enamel.

Doc.
                            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Ryan, it's hard to tell in a forum photo, but your paint looks flawless! With the color you chose, any sign of orange-peel would be especially evident

I would guess that you sprayed it with an HVLP gun, but I don't see the remains of a paint tent?
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X