Tip for the minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for the minute

Need to put a radius on a part in the lathe and no radius tool? Got some corner rounding end mills? Throw one in the tool holder, position the cutting edge and you got it. I guess everybody in the world knows this, but I saw it used by young kid at work , and geez,(dopeslap) never too old to learn something.

That's a great idea. I never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Converesly, if you need a concave radius use a 2 flute ball end mill

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Originally posted by daryl bane
        I guess everybody in the world knows this, but I saw it used by young kid at work , and geez,(dopeslap) never too old to learn something.
        That's funny around here the young kid would be hauled into the office, written up for challenging the established order of things and assigned to shop-labor duty until he quits in disgust.

...but yeah, I just learned this trick myself recently. Saved me a couple of dollars on a project. This forum is great for learning little tricks like this.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Need to put a radius on a part in the lathe and no radius tool? Got some corner rounding end mills? Throw one in the tool holder, position the cutting edge and you got it. I guess everybody in the world knows this, but I saw it used by young kid at work , and geez,(dopeslap) never too old to learn something.
          And you've got at least two cutting surfaces on your tool! Great idea!

David
          Montezuma, IA
          David Kaiser
          “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

No radius tool .What is the corner round ? If not a radius tool I thought every one new that.
            WE need to start a thread of shop Tricks.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

No, everybody doesn't know that, thanks for the heads up. Peter
              The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Working...
              X