Anyone ID this British upright mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ID this British upright mill?

I just won this milling machine on ebay. It's listed as a 'Alfred Herbert' machine, but I can't find any reference to any mill made by them, it seems that they were once big-time machine vendorsbut possibly of re-badged machines from companies they bought out. Looks like there's still an 'Alfred Herbert Ltd' still going who renovate machines up Coventry way so it could be them I guess.

Any clues? Pics aren't too great it'll be a few days before I pick it up I guess. Machine is about 1/2 ton in weight I'm told.

Last edited by Peter.; 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

From here I'd say Herbert 0V or 1V ?? and getting long in the tooth, IIRC pre 39-45 war design though none the worse for that if not kicked to death.
    Might have the old 1 3/8" herbert taper, like Int 30 but bigger very hard to find, think sometimes called the Herbert non stick.... there's another recent post on 0V etc on this board.

Comment

Thanks Sami - I'll do a search. It comes with collets & a drawbar, but that's it. Can't tell the state of the bed from the pics but for £300 who cares? Already converted to single phase which is good for me. I couldn't get anything bigger into my workshop (narrow alleyway) and I didn't want a flimsy bench-top mill.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

It bears a passing resemblence to the Millrite or Powermatic mill sold over here. It was about 2/3 the size of a Bridgeport, but a good solid machine.

Most of these mills are simple enough that any necessary repairs are easily accomplished. It looks like a good machine. There was a thread here a couple of days ago about Herbert collet availability.
        Jim H.

Comment

Stopped-by to see the guy today to arrange pickup. I took a look over the machine - and I'm very happy. The table is un-marked, which I think it astonishing for a 1960's/70's machine. Gave the table a good tug about and I can't detect any slop at all in any direction. It's smaller than the pics suggest, standing about 5'10" which pleased me as I particularly wanted a smaller machine. The size is about perfect.

When I get it home I'll take some good quality pics and do a report, if anyone's interested. If anyone has any literature or info on these machines I would be VERY grateful - so far I can't even find what decade it was made.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Check what model you have, manual here for an 0V, pricey but at least he's got it.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/manuals/

Comment

you beat me to it limey

Well heres a book on alfred herberts history

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k...e+Tool#PPR7,M1

is it called herbert OV milling machine or Dirty-Herbert

http://www.theengineersemporium.co.u.../MANUALSH.HTML £20
              Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Price is getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Limy Sami
                  Price is getting better.
                  Indeed. Being fitted with two new single-phase motors helps. They would have been £100 themselves, and the guy used proper switches & contacts too, sealed in waterproof boxes. All I'm going to do there is replace the power cord with armoured cable to run to the consumer unit.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                  X