No announcement yet.

OT: Age. Lets play a quick game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll guess 31. (My wife kept getting carded until she was darn near 40, I just got dirty looks from the old ladies!)

David
    Montezuma, IA
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I guess your about 60 give or take 30yearsAlistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
        Yeah you'd distract us from oggling the chick on the other page. Damn 18 year olds weren't that hot when I was young enough to date 18-year-olds.
        Too right,
        At the risk of doing a temporary hijack I'd like to tell you a story about what we know as page 3 girls.

When I was about 21 and still single I was working for a small haulage company, what you call a trucking company. It was run by a father and son operation. father Frank, was real old school, knew all the tricks and was dead smart.

Son, Dennis was the perfect Tiffipedia entry for a playboy, for real.
        Nice guy but had everything, married, nice wife, flash cars, big house but still had to play the field, bags of cash. That paints the scene.

So one Saturday night I'm working late as we had a disastrous week and had blown about 3 engines and all the spares had gone and I was trying to get a spare together from the bits we had lying around.

Dennis blows in the yard in his Aston Martin BD6, rushes in the garage and says
        " Quick John, go home, get changed and come back to the Tanye Manor, I'm in there with my latests bird and the wife has come in with her friends, I've told her she's with you and you had to pop out.
        Once she's moved on I'll be clear "

So there's me, 6' 1", 120 #, spotty faced and with a dress sense like Fred Flintstone.

Went to leave and suddenly though about cash for the night as that lot drank like fish. "What about money for the drinks Dennis ? "

Dennis sticks his hand in his pocket, drew out £25 and said that should do. I was on £19 a week wages less overtime at that time .

Went home, got washed and changed and back to the Tanye Manor,
        Dennis had already squared the doorman so no problem, upstairs and joined Dennis party.

Well this bird needed to be on page 2, not page 3 she was stunning, turns out she was an air hostess for what is now Emirates [ the airport was only two miles away and the crews always hotelled in the village ] and I have to make out I'm with this but more to the point I have to make people believe I've pulled this ?

So get the first round in for everyone and try to start chatting this bird up, no way I was out classed, out gunned. She's asking me where I have been, Hong Kong? No, America? No, Australia? No,
        Bangkok ? No but I'm hoping to [ that was wasted ]

Hadn't got the heart to tell her I'd never been more than 140 miles from home and that was on a breakdown !

Skipped a drink on the next round, had one, skipped one and this went on for ages. Dennis's missus wasn't moving, It was getting real hot in this place and I was getting real pissed.

Eventually Dennis's missis and her friends called a couple of taxis and went clubbing in town and I could breath a sigh of relief and I left [ Dennis remembered to ask for the change back ]
        Realised outside by this time I'm totally pissed and can't drive home so and got no money so decided to drive to the garage, about 1/2 mile and sleep in Franks boat which was wintered up in the end of the garage, bit 55 foot floating gin palace.

Got in the car and that's the last thing I remember.

Woke up some time later in this white room and I mean white.

Everything was white, no colour at all, I though sh1t I'm dead, then I realised that I probably wouldn't have gone to heaven anyway, puled the covers back and I'm in skivvies but no marks on my body, no broken legs, neck cuts or bruises and everything is deadly quiet.

Crept out of bed and carefully opened the door, long corridor with white carpet and all white doors, I am I'm dead, I have to be dead.

Right at the far end is a brown door, slowly creep up trying not to make a noise and carefully open the door and peek in................

Big sigh of relief as I recognised Dennis kitchen as I'd been there a few time to drop stuff off but never been in the actual house.

Turns out I had collapsed in the car, hit my head on the horn ring and Dennis had found me and took me home. Never found out whether he got rumbled or not.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Don't mind the hijack, this isn't a very "serious" thread anyway and that's a wonderful story.
          This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
          Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
          Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I'd say about 12 or 15 years old.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

I say 32

Now John that was another chapter in you unwritten book!

As 4 the pic of the girl
              please visit my webpage:
              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Well, I'm old enough to tell by your question pretty much what the answer is! Got to be mid 40's.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I'll play too although a lot of people already know how old I am. I'll give a clue as well.

We have three grandsons. We just got word from our son that they are expecting their second. This time it's a girl.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

One of the first posters nailed it: Going to be 35 in just a few weeks.

...and this thread confirms what I suspected, it is a regional bias.

Some of it has to do with the age of the workforce out there, quite a few older workers were let go from Kodak and Xerox and they've set themselves up in positions where they are acting to prevent themselves from being replaced yet again. On the one hand I feel for them no one likes to have a career end a decade from retirement, on the other hand the law is clear you cannot use age as a deciding factor when it comes to employment. That's what the broad brush-stroke of "at will employment" comes in.

Not sure how I'm going to handle it going forward... I already changed careers once. I was attracted to machining/machine trades because its a combination of art and science like plastic-molding was... on the other hand I'm not sure if I can make a living doing this when my path is blocked by people who are scared ****less of being replaced.

It's the second full week of January and I've already been let go from a job. At least this time I know in writing why I was let go. Not going to be a good year.

The agent has the document in her possession, I got to see it this morning. It states:

"REASON FOR TERMINATION: Employee appears to be under age 18 which is minimum legal age for employment."

The agent tells me that I have been let go from two other assignments for the same reason, and this is why she requested a copy of my birth certificate.

Frankly I don't understand this. If I was doing something wrong you would think they would bloody well state that on the documents.

To be fair, the agent that I am working with is a new worker at the service, she pulled my file and went over some stuff with me today. Turns out every week I'm on an assignment the company I am working for is required to fill out a report, its a sort of grading card. It tells the staffing agency if I am doing my job properly, if I am getting along with people on site, if I show up on time... things of that nature.

I've worked many of those assignments through to the end of the contract term, had a few end on less than favorable terms but that's expected... but it utterly baffles me why my age (at my age) would even be a factor.

Looking back over the past couple years I wonder how many other times I've been let go because of this. I can understand being let go for showing up late, or making a mistake on the job or just not getting along/fitting in on a job... that's life. Happens sometimes.

But upon reflection the number of times that I've been called aside by bosses and asked "how old are you really" and "when did you say you graduated..." comments like "new kid" "have the child do it" "go get that young brat to do it" I really really wonder now about my situation.

Anyway, I'm done here. My question has been answered. Tomorrow I get up, dust off and go find another job. Gotta keep going forward.
                    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Age is not matter of discrimination.

Remember it is better to be too young . You can grow older.
                      If you are too old. You can't grow younger.
                      I got my BSME degree at age twenty five graduated with a EE that was Fourteen. He had no idea how brilliant he was. It just came easy and natural for him. By chance I crossed paths with him professionally about ten years later. He was a lot more likeable at age 24 than 14. One of the best Bosses that I ever had was so baby faced that it took him a while to be accepted. Do what ever it takes to correct the misconception. Photo copy your birth certificate and carry it with you if you need to. Develop your skills and show them your stuff. Good Luck!
                      Byron Boucher
                      Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                        The agent has the document in her possession, I got to see it this morning. It states:

"REASON FOR TERMINATION: Employee appears to be under age 18 which is minimum legal age for employment."

The agent tells me that I have been let go from two other assignments for the same reason, and this is why she requested a copy of my birth certificate.
                        Wait a minute. If they really suspect you're under the legal age they've got a right to check, and they should have. "Appears to be" sounds like grounds for an EEOC complaint of discrimination.
                        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                          Wait a minute. If they really suspect you're under the legal age they've got a right to check, and they should have. "Appears to be" sounds like grounds for an EEOC complaint of discrimination.
                          Especially when you've got to show proof of citizenship for La Migra, or whatever the alef-bet soup agencies call themselves these days.

I've got the opposite problem, skills that are not in demand in this area other than by my former employer (gunsmith/advanced customer service/tech writer) with either too much or too little formal education, plus too many birthdays!

David
                          Montezuma, IA
                          Got up to -3F today! It was so much fun dancing with the snowblower.
                          David Kaiser
                          “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by rancherbill

Get some sensible glasses of a style that is several years old. Mature guys don't care about style or they have kids and mortgage and can't afford cool glasses.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg --- whatever kind of glasses you wear try to put them on straight --- hell, Thats probably why they dont want you on a lathe, I guarantee you it will add at least a decade (which will make you look like your about 24)
                            If you do this and then make sure your shoes on on the correct feet then youve got a sporting chance to at least convince them you know what your doing -- If that dont work then get married - divorced - and let her have half your stuff and you will develop some pretty serious wrinkles, if that still dont work then find the biggest burr that you can find and implant it up your butt -- now you wont have to fake it...
                            ( and dont frett -- your going to settle real nice into society when your about 87 ) This is a good thing...

Comment

Liger,your 42 I am guessing,OOPS,edit that,okay your only 35.Try adding some conversational profanity,appropriatetly punctuated of course.Like when a forman spouts out the specs of a boring mill,let him finish then ask in calm tones "The F--- you say?Big some bitch that's for sure" or something like that.Makes you seem more worldly and experienced.

If all else fails find yourself some merchant marines and take lessons

Steve,have you been patting your son on the back and saying "DUDE!Way to go" lately?

Evan,had to show my Dad that,he agrees,lose the cap and you would be the spitting image of the Carpet King.Very local celebrity from years back.All you need to be complete is a big yellow and red sign advertising indoor outdoor carpet $2.99/yd
                              Last edited by wierdscience; 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I'd have to say that there is something wrong with this- you've filled out a W2, the temp agency knows how old you are. They should be going to bat for you on the age thing. It's a BS reason for letting you go from the job, but it does let the co. off the hook for the early termination of you. (they usually pay some sort of fee to the agency) Make some noise about this, and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X