No announcement yet.

OT: Age. Lets play a quick game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know, i've read this entire thread and all i can remember is that Steve's son's girlfriend could be in a Mitutoyo calendar.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

You already gave your age, but it is perfectly true that you COULD from appearance, be anything from about 17 to ???.

Time will fix that, but instead of "Just for Men", you probably need to comb in a little hair bleach around the temples...... might fix the problem. I am not actually quite kidding......

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Re: Age

Liger0...I would have guessed mid 30's but I am used to young looking guys. My son just turned 30 and he could pass for high school age. He is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and is the youngest looking one of the flat rate guys. I don't know what is going on with the age thing. When I worked in tool and die, we had apprentices from the local high schools and once the lead man knew that they weren't dangerous, they set up all the lathes and mills. I guess times have changed a lot since 1972. They have all gotten "lawyered up" and fear some kind of law suit. Hang in there and give them a hard time about it. Age discrimination is illegal.
        Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Its not so much the lawsuit thing as it's fear of losing a job to the "younger" crowd. People are seriously afraid they are going to be replaced by younger less-expensive workers. It's true up to a point... but I have a LONG way to go before I can "replace" an experienced machinist...

Problem is selling that to the people who have gotten laid off from a lifetime career who have mortgages and cars and college-age children to pay for. I'm not the bad-guy here, don't take it out on me. I'm trying to pay my bills/get out of debt just like everyone else.
          This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
          Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
          Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            I'll play too although a lot of people already know how old I am.

OK I'll guess 85 but you must be 157 to have done all you have
            -

Sock Puppet

Comment

LZ -

Don't worry about "appearing too youthful." Just become self-employed and you'll start to show your age soon enuf. . .
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

I have found that how you carry yourself makes a difference : body language , attitude , decision making processes , etc .

People do get impressions from these things.
                NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

Looks like Sock Puppet forgot to take his meds this morning.

Comment

Perhaps he did.

Comment

Time marches on

There is another side to this coin.

I have had to smile at some who were over our "Seniors" age - 50 - here when they ask for a "Seniors Discount/Rate" (can be 10% at times) are either upset if asked if they have a "Seniors" card (as if they are not old enough) and those who are just as upset when service providor suggests that they may like the Seniors items!!!

Then there are those who are approaching or over 40 who are shocked to the extent that they "freak out" at it as it suggests that they are "old", and who either deny it or suggest that "50 is the new 40" - and of course the inevitable "60 is the new 50".

I guess its know as varying definitions or degrees of "age-ism".

And what about those who were "teens" and under who just wished their life/years away wanting to be old enough to (fill in your own suggestions here - there's lots of 'em) and then want those "wished away" years back when they are in their 40's to 60's etc.

"The moving finger writes and having writ,
                      Moves on
                      And all your piety and wit will not change a word/line of it".
                      (Omar Kyyam)

Its either your clock or time-bomb thats ticking (seems faster as you get older - say over 20?, 30?, 40?, ??? - doesn't it?).

Well, I must wind up the cat and put the clock out.

Comment

OK I'll guess 85 but you must be 157 to have done all you have
                        I am not in the habit of talking to other people's imaginary friends John. I see now that the ignore user function actually has a valid purpose.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It's a good feature.
                          I tried it a while ago with one poster but the traffic on the board dropped by half for some reason.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I suggest you study the physcological problems that afflict ventriloquists.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Not interested I'm too busy training to drink 7 pints without moving my lips.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Can't you ditch the agency LZ ? They can keep finding you "Temp" jobs, but it's your C/V that suffers, gives a prospective employer the impression that you're a drifter.

You're lucky that you are on the "Young" side of the coin cos when you go for interviews when you're "Older" the smart a4se kid on the other side of the desk thinks you're after HIS job It makes them feel inferior, that the ole fart might know more than they do.

Ageism litigation? Think long and hard before you go down that route, most of the barmy litigation issues over here have eventually drifted over from your side of the pond. At the end of the day, companies have got more money to throw away defending "Righteous" issues with corporate bulls47tters far cleverer than Joe public, don't make it right but it's cheaper and less stressfull for YOU.

Regards Ian.
                                You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X