Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yow. Firefox again........ dont read this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yow. Firefox again........ dont read this.

Firefox did it again......

yes I've had this happen several times before, and commented on it each time. So don't cry to me if you didn't want to read about it again.

FF updated itself by "falsifying" the upgrade agreement..... so now I am using FF3, without ever formally agreeing to the upgrade.

That dang program pops up its own "can I do this?" boxes, right while I am typing, and then takes whatever I typed as confirmation. i type pretty fast for a 4 finger typist, so by the time the "flash" of the popup registers on my eye, the deed is already done.

Apparently any typing is enough to "OK" the upgrade.

Yes, I can block popups. That is the biggest pain, because many of the websites I get data from use popups to present the data.... You click on the "datasheet" icon, and a window pops up with the PDF. if you block them, you don't have anything happen, and have to click more stuff to get it to come up, taking twice as long and hassling more than the popups do.

Just ranting about a rotten program, whose best feature is that it is NOT IE.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-15-2009, 01:05 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Sounds like you need Opera.

Comment

Real annoying ain't it

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
        Yes, I can block popups. That is the biggest pain, because many of the websites I get data from use popups to present the data....
        Jerry, you can white-list any sites that need to have pop-ups.

I don't think there's any browser that's smart enough to distinguish between good pop-ups and bad pop-ups. I think it's all or nothing, and you have to white-list good popups on IE, FireFox and Safari. Not sure about Opera.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

yes I've had this happen several times before, and commented on it each time. So don't dry to me if you didn't want to read about it again.

FF updated itself by "falsifying" the upgrade agreement..... so now I am using FF3, without ever formally agreeing to the upgrade.

That dang program pops up its own "can I do this?" boxes, right while I am typing, and then takes whatever I typed as confirmation. i type pretty fast for a 4 finger typist, so by the time the "flash" of the popup registers on my eye, the deed is already done.

Apparently any typing is enough to "OK" the upgrade.
          i HATE it when that happens. i wish all pop-up windows that need input would only become active if you purposely click on them. one that gets me all the time is the calendar in Outlook. when meeting notices pop up when i'm typing who knows what the notice was or how long i hit "snooze" for since the window is up and gone before i realize i hit the wrong combination of keys.

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
            Jerry, you can white-list any sites that need to have pop-ups.

I don't think there's any browser that's smart enough to distinguish between good pop-ups and bad pop-ups. I think it's all or nothing, and you have to white-list good popups on IE, FireFox and Safari. Not sure about Opera.

Sure..........but since they CHANGE........., I don't need to back to the OLD places for the PDFs, I grab 'em... so it's always new ones that need the whitelisting.............. in advance..........??????????

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by BillH
              Sounds like you need Opera.
              Safari works for me.

Comment

I was reading that they encourage people to compile thier own versions of FF..

Meaning you don't know where yours came from for sure, it may have crap written right into it.. I have three FF on my desktop.. two that say internet 1, 2.. and one that just says firefox.. I have no clue where the 1,2 came from..except they have a yahoo toolbar on them... too.. and god knows what else..

I keep saying I will run a Linux CDROM only internet computer.. no hard drive..
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                  I was reading that they encourage people to compile thier own versions of FF..
                  David,

If you downloaded your versions from the official homepage (www.mozilla.com/firefox/) you have nothing to fear.

what you can do is download the source from the official CVS archive, so that you can optimize it for your machine.

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                  I have no clue where the 1,2 came from..except they have a yahoo toolbar on them... too.. and god knows what else..
                  You mean this?

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/firefox

If you got this you installed it some how.

Come on J admit it, you got click happy. You just wanted the the pop-up out of the way so you could get back to reading Even's lathe build thread.

FYI if memory serves FF3 is better than 2 it has a new JavaScript engine, so JavaScript runs faster.
                  -Dan S.
                  dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Under Tools, select Options, Advanced, and Updates. Change the settings so you have to be asked what to do if updates are detected.

Or, you can set it so it doesn't even check for updates.

That should keep it from happening in the future.

Roger
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                      Safari works for me.
                      I use Safari too, but the Safari popup blocker works exactly like Firefox's

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3279

"We recommend turning the popup blocker off the first time you visit a website. Some websites use popups as part of the infrastructure, and it is necessary to not block them. After you visit a site for the first time, you can determine if you want to block popups or not."
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by dan s
                        Come on J admit it, you got click happy. You just wanted the the pop-up out of the way so you could get back to reading Even's lathe build thread.
                        Bullcrap.

it accepted something I was typing as its permission.

Winchman, that option apparently does exactly NOTHING.

I HAD told it to ask...... presumably either

1) an earlier update 'fixed" that "problem" so it could update freely

2) The FF definition of "ask" is a "little different"

I think it is #2.....

It pops up a window to "ask"...... and if you are typing when it does that, ANYTHING you type may be interpreted as a positive repsonse, since it literally takes 1/2 second, tops, to be happy and go away to do its update.

it's of no matter...... they are all about the same.

But each version of FF steps further into the "large buttons, all primary colors, Playskool look"... very much like Vista.

I think they just wanted it to look all "pre-school" like Vista.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by dan s
                          I know you're being facetious, but the FF upgrade pop-ups are poorly done. IIRC, you said you develop code for a living, so you know when you have a ton of windows up (Visual Studio, Emacs, a bunch of VNC windows), that a little pop-up that pops to the top and grabs the pointer focus is just plain wrong.

FYI if memory serves FF3 is better than 2 it has a new JavaScript engine, so JavaScript runs faster.
                          I haven't noticed any difference in speed. In fact, I don't notice any difference in speed between IE7, FF and Safari -- they've all optimized the Hell out of the rendering engine.

What's cool about FireFox is all the third-party plug-ins. Tab-Mix-Plus, and Add Block Plus, especially.

Comment

Dan S..

Installed it.. nope..

Or the wife, or the neighbor who checked his email. (he was afraid to open that one at home). or.. When you don't hover over a machine you have no clue what has been done in your absence.. This stinking machine is a pain to keep running.. A dual core cpu running the cameras.
                            I get so aggravated someday I will do as I did with my gun collection.. just sell all except the things I truly cherish. I walked into the gun store and talked to John S about selling a few guns.. he did not notice I had backed the van up to the back door.

YOU know what? I kinda remember a keyboard switch on the front in the manner of a lock.. (hey.. this computer don't work) bang bang bang.. goes the keys..

Are them keyboard locks still hooked up??
                            Edit: this one does nothing.. Mouse and keyboard still function..
                            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              I haven't noticed any difference in speed. In fact, I don't notice any difference in speed between IE7, FF and Safari -- they've all optimized the Hell out of the rendering engine.
                              You only really see the issue with FF2 on GUI style interface like this for example: http://ui.jquery.com/demos/sortable. Even then you need a lot of objects for it to be noticeable. If the page above had 100-200 sortable objects, FF2 chokes.

here you can see the JavaScript benchmarks for FF2 & 3.
                              http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/soft...89417-2,00.htm

you will see a big improvement when 3.1 is released.
                              http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nce-boost.html
                              http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...han-chromes-v8

Whats really going on is the web is becoming more gui.
                              1. AJAX
                              2. drag/drop
                              3. sort
                              4. lightbox
                              5. etc.
                              this all requires JavaScript to run fast, thus all the major browser are pumping out new JS engines.
                              -Dan S.
                              dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X