No announcement yet.

Makin' a Steady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetics should work Fine, if Surface finish on Work is not too Rough..

I Have used Wood in an Emergency ,and it worked....

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
      Go to Google, click on Images and search "steady rest" Got pages of good ideas.
      Originally posted by dan s
      If you could find a big cheap bearing you could make a cathead style rest, then you wouldn't have to worry about chips. I don't think chips will be a problem on a steady though.
      I did the search mentioned above and on the first page was this link:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...SteadyRest.jpg

Exactly what I've been thinking of making...Now where did I put that 5 inch bearing...

Andrew

Comment

I do just like Bguns said and use a piece of light cardboard with a hole the size of the workpiece cut through it. Slide it over the part and fasten it with rubber bands to the side of the steady and you won't have a problem with chips under the rollers or brass. After a while you get a variety of sizes made up. About the time you think you are doing fine with out a guard on the steady a nice chip bounces under one of the rollers and makes a nice mark to remind you to use one next time.
        Jonathan P.

Comment

You might be interested in this for some ideas.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=21320&page=3

Comment

One of the more impressive steady rests/cat heads I have seen:

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/bond77_photo/

Comment

You have a brother that works at McMaster!

YOU LUCKY MAN!
              James Kilroy

Comment

Thanx for the most illuminating thread guys. I've just finished going over it again and am currently having a female moment ... I can't seem to make up my mind!

Cathead style looks trick. No chip issues. Downside is locating a large enough bearing, loss of ID no matter what you do, and ya can't open it.

Even tho I haven't a clue whether it's a good idea or not, I'm having wild thoughts about a bronze sleeve to minimize ID loss. But locating a 4" piece of bronze looks to be right up there with a large dia bearing.

With a temporary shield to keep the chips out as suggested by Bguns and japcas, a traditional 3 finger seems to solve all issues. I may have made up my mind ...

So Thanx again. I'd be lost without ......

SP

Comment

some of my home built steadys

Here is a pic of my steady that I made.I needed a larger steady to do some parts so I built this larger one.

I bought the needle bearings off ebay.They are not a regular bearing.I cant remember what they are called to save my ars..It works great.

Comment

here is a live steady I made.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/ikimjing/my%20stuff
                    /Picture003.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Giant hunk of bronze = cut the spokes out of a model flywheel casting.

It so happens that I have done work on making a steady rest too.

Remember the "how to cut giant CI round without bandsaw thread"

Well, that was a piece of metal I got for my birthday, supposed to be 2 disks but my kind grandfather got one thick slice.

One disk is for a backplate to go on the rotable for the lathe chuck.

The other has been bored out to a bit more than 2 inches. It then will receive a base and clamp, and brass fingers. I may later make it openable.

Comment

Exactly what I've been thinking of making...Now where did I put that 5 inch bearing...
                        Andrew[/QUOTE]

Last summer while prices for scrap were up I took a couple hundred pounds of never been used but rusting from laying around bearings this genral size range to the junk yard.

If you use a screw in adjuster with inserts you can change inserts from brass, cast iron or nylon insert as needed.

mark61

Comment

Nylon and other nonmetals of course should only be used for slow speeds. Ceramic of some type might be good, maybe graphaloy?

Mc Master sells some pretty huge "four point contact" bearings.
                          Last edited by Teenage_Machinist; 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Well I been makin' "steady" progress on mine. Pic so far.

I'm not sure how well my finger setup's going to work. No mill for making slots like most have done, so I'll be using round fingers that slide thru the holes and up into the welded on tubes via trapped threads. Hopefully a fully keyed 5/8" shaft guided by a setscrew from the side will keep the finger from rotating and also serve as a lock.

McMaster happens to have brass tipped setscrews and the 3/8" flavor happens to have a 3/16 dia x 3/32 long tip, which is exactly what the slot is in the fully keyed 5/8" shaft.

It might work. Opinions are always welcome.

SP

Comment

pntrbl.

Are you going to split the steady in half? If so the ring is going to spring.Dont know how much tho.I turned od and ruff bored it ,saw cut,then milled the split line and then finished bored it.Tru cut really.Then added ears and finished up.

It wouldnt matter that much for fixed fingers but bearing fingers need to be dead on straight or it will track off and dig in to part.

Comment

Andrew D
                                There are four pics at my site. I will share construction details if desired.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shopm8/M...49219523307122

Jim
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X