No announcement yet.

Chasing errors again- drill drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to be perfectly Frank with you even though my name is Carl. one or two thousandths out with a drilled hole is damn good. The only way you MIGHT get it closer is drill undersize and bore it to size. I guess you would have to make a little boring bar for your boring head.

Think about it, your drilling a 5/16" hole in the side of a 3/8" shaft so the posibility of runout or drift is huge. I am surprised you get it that close the way you did it.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

It's true there are lots of variables, but some of those brought up in the most recent post aren't relevant, since I said the center drilling was right on, it was the drill that somehow drifted out of the center hole. I'm doing this on an 80's vintage JET 16 mill/drill with a 6" brand new Phase II Kurt clone. It's a round column, so quill is all I got. I'm the 1st owner of the mill, and I don't do production work.

What about an undersized drill, then a slow cut with an 11/64 end mill, followed by a #13 reamer? Wouldn't the end mill correct the drill's drift? I'm not actually going to do this, but it sounds good.

What do you guys mean by "tramming it center" if not the trial and error center drilling I described?

Comment

Drill drift???
        I thought you were talking about an actual 'drill drift'...

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
          Drill drift???
          I thought you were talking about an actual 'drill drift'...
          Did you think I was having problems "chasing" some decorative details onto my drift?

Comment

Working...
          X