Cutting 5/32 aluminum tube(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 5/32 aluminum tube(?)

What would be the easiest way to cleanly cut 5/32" O.D. aluminum .014 hollow tubing into 2.25" pieces about 250 of them?

Thanks in advance,
    -SD:

Some of the big box stores have ''mini'' tubing cutters in the plumbing or tool areas. I am not 100% certian it will go small enough , but You might be able to modify to work.

Steve

Comment

Find an archery shop or someone who makes their own arrows and borrow their arrow cutter/mini chop saw.

David
      Montezuma, IA
      David Kaiser
      “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
      ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I cut small tube like this allot. Chuck lengths of the tube in the lathe, 3-4 feet hanging out of the chuck, have a tool that we built, it's basically a pipe cutter setup on a set of hand shear handles with a stop on the end. very much like using scissors. once the depth/length is set it's like snipping string.

Left hand steadies the overhanging tube, right hand using the tool. can cut 500+ pieces in an hours time with no effort. lathe spinning about 150 rpm. makes a clean cut, does shrink the hole a small bit on the ends, but we press the tubes into an item, then expand the ends to lock it in, so that's not an issue for us.

Comment

Walter,

Have a picture of it available that you can post or send me? Since you mentioned it, how do you expand the end? Have a picture of it as well? I was thinking about expanding the ends as well.

David,

Another good idea!

Thanks,
          -SD:

Comment

Smoke,

I'll snag a picture of it today and post when I get back from the shop.

We use the tube in these (note the end of the handle) As to the actual processes used for expanding and finishing I can't say. It's not something I do, I'm just a tool and die guy, not one of the knife makers =)

Comment

Make a Dremel Chop Saw and put a stop on it. I think Marv Klotz made such a setup and posted it here.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Smoke, here's the tool I mentioned earlier. It really does work like a charm, worth the time if your gonna be doing a lot of the little buggers.

Comment

Walter,

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures. Interesting idea.

-SD:

Comment

2" Cut-Off Saw, $28

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307
                    Last edited by gellfex; 01-17-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Walter,

How do you expand the ends of the tube? Have a picture?

-SD:

Comment

if you want a clean cut on each end and you want it percise then id use a parting tool and keep it short just enght to make it thew and go past the length by about 2 or 3 thou and then face it to size after and you will have your 250 perfect shaped and cut to lenght peices ,, thats the way id do it ,,

Comment

Working...
                        X