soda can -- half empty or half full?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soda can -- half empty or half full?

I found this oddity in a six-pack I bought last month. Something on the assembly line apparently malfunctioned, and this can was sealed with the contents only partially loaded. As you can see, it weighs 5.5 ounces, compared to 13.2 ounces for a full can.

I'm thinking of putting it on eBay, just to see what it will fetch. It could make an interesting (or frustrating) gift for "somebody who has everything." If the can is opened, it's monetary value (if any) disappears.

I want to know if it would be safe to ship this by air, in an unpressurized cargo hold. Would the reduced pressure risk ballooning the can outward? Or are soft drink cans routinely shipped as air freight?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Cargo holds are all pressurized. That's where the pets travel.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
      Cargo holds are all pressurized. That's where the pets travel.
      Good point. What about USPS Priority Mail, does it go in pressurized holds too?
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

My family had a tradition using two empty cans.

They were dressed up each Christmas CANnons, ReinCANated, ect.

Comment

That can is neither "half empty" (pessimist) nor is it "half full" (optimist), but rather it is just twice a big as it needs to be (engineering).

Richard

Comment

Says right on the label "DIET"...it should only weigh half as much.
            Jim ;-)

Comment

I've had 3 cans that were half full in the last year. Sadly they were all beer cans.

Clutch

Comment

Ghost story

Jim,
                I think the intent is that the dieter weigh only half as much and the tin weigh the same.

Clutch,
                my solution would be to be thankful for small(er?) mercies and drink all that was there with the aim of getting me half full at least and all the cans quite emptied.

Too much is never enough. Well it was before I had to give up either the booze or the ghost!!!

Comment

The only oddity would be if the full half were on the top. In the Pittsburgh area in the 60's around Christmas, Iron City beer would make a special run of Old Frothingslosh beer. The foam was on the bottom.

The sales jingle on the radio was; " Hey dittem dottom, the foam is on the bottom, the beer is on the top."

It was a seasonal treat that did not achieve a great deal of success.
                  Jim H.

Comment

With all the can collectors out there I can't believe you wouldn't be handsomely rewarded by putting it on ebay. I have never seen a half full can, although I've seen many fools half in the can.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      Jim,
                      I think the intent is that the dieter weigh only half as much and the tin weigh the same.
                      Hahahahahahah...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                        With all the can collectors out there I can't believe you wouldn't be handsomely rewarded by putting it on ebay.
                        -I may be greatly mistaken, but I was under the impression there's very little collectors' market for relatively modern soda and beer cans, unless it has some measure of fame (IE, "Billy Beer", which had some connection with Prez. Carter) or the company had since gone defunct.

Besides which, I understand that can collectors don't keep filled cans if at all possible- the soda or beer is usually somewhat acidic and will eventually eat away the can and start to leak.

I sold a "generic" beer can on eBay a year or two ago- the old white label with plain black printing, like the generic stuff from the late seventies. The can wasn't in great shape, but it sold for 99 cents, and the only reason the guy bought it was for a gag gift for a friend that collected beer cans.

I also know that some near-new condition all-steel Mountain Dew cans, the kind you had to use a church key to open, sold for less than $5 each on the 'Bay.

Again, I may be quite wrong, but I'd expect you'll get little or no interest in a half-full can of some obscure store-band diet soda.

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                          The only oddity would be if the full half were on the top. In the Pittsburgh area in the 60's around Christmas, Iron City beer would make a special run of Old Frothingslosh beer. The foam was on the bottom.

The sales jingle on the radio was; " Hey dittem dottom, the foam is on the bottom, the beer is on the top."

It was a seasonal treat that did not achieve a great deal of success.
                          Thanks, Jim. I've heard of Old Frothingslosh from years and years ago, but never knew where it was made. IIRC the search was for the worst beer made, and somehow that name came up.
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
                            Again, I may be quite wrong, but I'd expect you'll get little or no interest in a half-full can of some obscure store-band diet soda.
                            Doc.
                            After my initial post I looked on eBay and found it has hundreds of cans, almost all of them with no bids. It won't cost me much to list it (with a very low starting bid), but now I don't have high expectations.

I learned that I should include a photo of the bottom of the can, to indicate it has not been drilled there. Apparently many cans are bottom-emptied by collectors, to leave the seal intact.
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I have three full cans of PT Cruiser Root Beer. I suppose I should "bottom empty" them?

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X