D1-6 Spindle With Smaller Chucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1-6 Spindle With Smaller Chucks

Title basicly say's it all, My nefew own's a fairly large (for a HSM ) TOS lathe with this spindle mount. This lathe has a top speed of 2000 rpm, His 3 jaw chuck is 10 inches in diameter, so for smaller parts, say under an inch he's going to want to wind the rpm's up. The 10 inch dia. 3 jaw he owns is not all that accurate so a fairly high quality 3 jaw/ 4 jaw independant chucks and 8-10 inch diameter faceplate buying spree is going to be likley.

So for those that own a larger lathe how did you solve this problem? A D1-6 backplate to an adapter to fit plain back chucks, and faceplates will work but maybe someone knows of a cheaper way, Im going to be unable to access this board for the next 17 day's so will have to thank everyone in advance for any information provided.

Pete

For small things I use collets. One of those Bison collet chucks work well.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

The lathe I use at school has a D1-6 spindle. It has some good quality 8" 3-jaw chucks and a Sjogren collet chuck, as well as Jacobs rubberflex collet chucks.

Comment

I've got a D1-6 now. I put a Rubberflex on it for stuff under 1-3/8 that needs high rpm (my max is 2000). I just got a Bison 8" 3 jaw that's rated for over 4000 rpms.
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

You can always just mount something like a 6" 3 jaw in a 4 jaw chuck...Then you can adjust it to get 0 runout..
          Precision takes time.

Comment

To me, the main benefit of the smaller chuck is easy mount/swap and higher RPM. Both are lost by mounting it in a larger 4 jaw. That, combined with the ability to grasp smaller pieces and (vastly) improved run out is what led me to the last few months of searching out a new chuck for my big lathe. The 8" is quite small for this lathe size, which often has a 10 or 12" 3 jaw, but for over 90% of my work it will be wonderful. For the rest, I still have my Rubberflex, the 10" slightly sprung Chinese chuck, a 12" Buck 4 jaw, and enormous 16"(?) Rohm 4 jaw. I expect that almost everything I will do will work without resorting the Chinese chuck or the monster hiding in the corner...
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

From Bedair's site. Looks plenty weird. But should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
                From Bedair's site. Looks plenty weird. But should work fine.
                I have the same set-up on my Enco 14". D1-6 spindle with a six inch Yuasa adjustable three jaw chuck.

Comment

Thanks

Just got home and would like to thank everyone for their responses, Sorry for the delay but work really interfears with life. Thanks again,

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X