That's it - I'm hooked already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's it - I'm hooked already!

What can I say I set-up this old upright mill and fed it some power. The only vice I have right now is a very poor drill-press vice but I thought 'what the heck' and clamped up a test-token of 1/4" alloy plate. Gingerly took some cuts with a 13/32" 2-flute slot drill I have and set about seeing how much trouble I could cause.

All I can say is I am absolutely, thoroughly, definately hooked on this milling lark. This machine might be old and a bit lacking in functionality but it's no bad machine at all from my novice point of view. Ran some cuts up and down the plate by hand up to a .060" pass which needed a puff of WD40 every once in a while. Then I grabbed a piece of ground flat stock and managed a few passes in that to cut a 'keyway' in it. Maximum I went was .040" using this time some coolant from a squeeze-bottle. I had all kind of nightmare expectations with the machine being so old and all but putting my vernier on the slot I cut I found it was 4 thou under the cutter size. Still gotta work that one out!

This isn't my first turn at milling - I spent an afternoon on a friend's Bridgeport making a fuel rail for my bike and I have a little lathe experience. I think it's definately the start of a very long, and hopefully satisfying journey for me though. I only wish I had built a new workshop and started buying cool machines years ago
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Peter--Congratulations on your milling success. Before you do to much more, do a little research on "Climb milling" on a manual machine.--Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Also be sure to set aside eighteen to thirty-seven percent of your income to buy "more stuff" for your new toy. As soon as you discover one thing you'll learn of a nifty accessory that will make your life that much easier, and next thing you know you have bins full of odds and ends, and at least three other machines dedicated to making fixtures and attachments and whatnot for this machine.

You think I'm kidding?
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

You think I'm kidding?

Liger's not kidding, this is one of those cases where too much seems never enough.

Comment

I guess not - I already have a long list of things I want to make or buy. Gonna go out and carve some tee-slot nuts from ground flat stock for a kick-off

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Peter,
            Thats the way to go make some t-nuts, thats what I first made and learned quite a lot on the use of a mill. I made a 4" length of t-nut section then drilled and tapped that length before cutting to length. The longer section gives you something to bite on for drilling and tapping.
            I have even made some long length t-nuts as I think the extra length will hopefully prevent damge to the slots, although I not sure what causes the damage I have seen. Over enthusiastic tightening or screwing through the t-nut into the base.

Peter
            I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

And learn how to use strap clamps properly and safely, and yes, don'teven THINK about climb milling on your machine. Slot 4 thou down? It's called cutter wear.

Regards Ian.
              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

I had The Moment recently. I have a Shurline mill and lathe and a larger Clarke 7X lathe. For the last few months I've been tearing my hair out trying to find an "ideal" tool-holder for 1/4 inch carbide that suits my semi-production/semi-hobby needs.

I had a chunk of material in my hand, and an endmill and the Voice thus spoke: DESIGN THEM AND MAKE THEM YOURSELF.

...I am sitting here pricing larger mills as the one I have isn't *quite* big enough to make the Tool Holder Of Tool Holders as I envision it.
                This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Climb-milling is where the rotation of the cutter pulls the work into the screw backlash clearance yes? Had a bit of that last night and decided to only cut against the rotation afterwards. I have a list of jobs to do and one is to sort out the lash in the screws. It's not bad at all but it's 'there'.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Re: Lash

Peter...All lead screws, unless they are ball screws, will have some lash in them and climb cutting will be something you only want to do on light cuts of soft material. Taking spring cuts on Aluminum is a good example of this. The climb cut will leave you with a better surface finish but you have to be careful.
                    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Working...
                    X