X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaper question

what does a shaper do that cannot be done with a milling machine?.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Hi Alistair, I made a female spline on my old homemade shaper once. Don't think that can be done on a mill.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Internal keyways longer than the stroke of a b-port keyseater,Last time I used the one at work it was to cut a 1"wide 10"long keyway inside of a 6"id stainless coupling hub,sure did come in handy.
      On and unusual note we did use it to knurl some flat stock once,it was slow but it did work.
      When we had one setup in the shop at work I used to setup pieces of flat stock in it to be planed flat,I could set the auto-feed and do something else while it quietly made chips.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

HSS tool blanks are a lot cheaper than End Mills!

Comment

Alistair,

Shapers can fire hot smoking swarf MUCH further than millers can...

But as Wierd says, set the shaper cutting (as long as it can run off the end of the work without crunching something) and go do something else in the shop. I love mine, and they're generally dead cheap.

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

It's possible, with the right shaper setup, to generate true involute gear tooth forms so you can cut gears with any number of teeth with a single rack-shaped cutter.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I feel that although these became a bit unpopular for a while they are beginning to become popular again I keep lloking at a small one say a boxford or recently a elliot went for آ£200 UK what kind of money do the fetch second hand, (roughly). Alistair

Comment

I have seen them advertised in southern Ontario from $400 to $1000. I payed $600 for this 14" Elliot.
                www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/091d0959.jpg

Comment

G.A. You have a BEAUTIFUL hunk of old iron!! Give it a big hug for me!!

Al Messer

Comment

G A Ewen see this one I missed and only آ£200UK 2549137985 see this on ebay.
                    Al I hug it every day

Comment

Alistair, if you didn't live so far away, I'd invite you to come over tonight, and I'd let you play with my South Bend 7 to your hearts delight. What I like about a shaper the mostest is that they can reduce chunks of scavanged metals down to a needed size a lot quicker than a hacksaw and file, plus as I said before, HSS tool blanks are a lot cheaper that End Mills!

Comment

SGW, making gears is one of those "I'm gonna do that dome day" projects I want to try on mine. Can you use an existing gear to grind the cutter to the correct shape and size?

Comment

Al, as to gear making "i'm gonna do that some day" to. Here is what I have planned. In the April 1999 issue of Machinist's Workshop there is an artical by John A. Cooper called "Spur Gears and Pinions". In it he shows how to make a rotory gear cutter with the profile of a rack and then discribes in very clear terms how to use it. (good pics also) My friend Andy and I tried it and were very pleased with the results. I would now like to try designing a cutter for the shaper that would work along the same principals. I should be able to get to it sometime in November.

Comment

Al, understand, I've never actually DONE this....

But, what you want for a cutter is a rack tooth profile -- straight sides, sloped (I think) at the pressure angle of the gears you're making.

Since with an involute form, any gear of a given size/angle will mesh with any other gear, including a rack, the theory is to make the shaper cutter the "rack" that the gear (being cut) is meshing with. Then "roll" the gear blank under the cutter at the proper rate.

There was an article in Model Engineer years ago on how to do this, but I haven't a clue now what issue it was.
                            ----------
                            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

FWIW, a couple of years back, I had someone who runs a cutter grinding service examine the profile of two pinions I needed to make on an optical comparator. He dimensioned the angles and the radius both at the end of the tooth, and the base of the tooth. He ground a single point tool which I dragged across a suitable blank held in a lathe. Since this was not a generating operation, and in this case not an involute profile, it matched very closely what would be produces as if one were using a milling type of gear cutter.

If you have good layout ability and could grind the appropriate form this method would work in a shaper too, indexing the blank for each tooth.
                              gvasale

Comment

Working...
                              X