On again off again projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On again off again projects?

Well it happened again,one of my back burner hobby jobs went sideways.

I started the Bill Harris steam donkey engine a year ago,I work on it when things get slow,rainy days etc.A couple months ago I also started building his steam roller.

I try to group similar operations on similar parts to aid progress so I decided to build both boilers at the same time.

Big mistake,I think I have spent more time keeping parts sorted than I would have spent starting from scratch.

First mistake was muffing the layout on one set of tube plates.

The second mistake was welding in one tube plate upside down

Luckily that one was a save since I think key hole welding is fun anyway

Anyone else find stopping and starting a project a problem or is it just me?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Don't worry, you are not on your own, I've got quite a few "in progress" jobs. Some have been "in progress" for years.
    Sometimes its not the end product that interests me but doing the job itself.

regards
    bollie7

Comment

I had a log splitter project that was ongoing for sixteen years before I finished the basic splitter . It is technically still ongoing as I need to build the log lift , the catch tables for it , and a few minor improvements to the overall design . Looking like it will be twenty years total before it is all done Dan

Comment

Darin...I always have 10 or so of those on the go..
        Some for the reason you mentioned...if it's not pressing I'll keep certain things in a "pile" til I need to do that type of operation.
        Then do the whole works at once.
        However...you know how that goes.
        A customer comes in and needs a different operation done on the same machine so there goes that set up. We'll get it next time...LOL! And so they sit a wait.
        Then I started a couple of projects to do when it's slow.
        Ummm...it's very seldom slow.
        It took me over a year to get that DTI holder made.
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I have some projects that are dragging on past the 10 year mark. It's the doin' that I enjoy, not the finishin'.

Now, projects for SWMBO, that's a different story!

Comment

I have multiple progects in progress simply because I only have a few hours at a time to work on things. When I hit a read block, it has to wait till I can get to the store for parts, or for a new tool to arrive via UPS. By that time I may have started on the next project.

This weekend I spent a lot of time mounting a DRO on my mill only to find my rotary table has a design flaw and the shifting fork of my other mill came loose! The DRO is still in progress.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu47Dan
              I had a log splitter project that was ongoing for sixteen years before I finished the basic splitter . It is technically still ongoing as I need to build the log lift , the catch tables for it , and a few minor improvements to the overall design . Looking like it will be twenty years total before it is all done Dan
              WOW, that has to almost be a record. (and a cool machine)

Comment

Box Projects

Awhile back someone here referred to "box projects". Well, I'm guilty as charged. Got a few. Problem is that one, I need a better knurling tool for. Another was waiting for me to get a extra long drill for. Yet another needs a dovetail cutter, which arrived last week. Had to fix the brakes on MaMa's car. My ole truck needs a little work, too. Gotta take my mom to dialysis 3x week. Need to shoot more at the gun club, winter league time. Then there's the stuff I've forgotton about.

In other words, my shop's running about normal. I figure in a few more years, I'll be too busy to work. Problem is, retired guys tell me it doesn't seem to get any better...............

TC

Comment

I've been meaning to build a belt guard to finish up my air compressor since 1968.

Maybe I should change the oil first, though.

Roger
                  Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I never have more than one project on the go at any given time. Now I admit, when I do have a project on the go, it totally consumes me, and I work on it like a fiend untill it is finished. Then everyone says "Wow, we never knew anybody who works so quickly". Of course the secret here is that by the time I am finished a project I am so burned out on it that I don't want to start another for quite some time. I've been that way all my life. I don't plan it that way, its just the way I am.---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

The project garage

Every now and then I resolve to go out and clean up the garage. However, it always turns into, "pick up something, realize it's for a project I am working on, put it into a box".

About 10 years ago I decided to make a list of projects and start finishing them. I quit at 6 pages of college rule notebook paper, both sides. I actually got rid of that list over the following six years, but I have just as many projects out there as when I started. The oldest is probably a 1-1/2" bore stainless steel cannon barrel that needs boring, originally cast in 1969, OD turned in 1983.

Time slips by when you are having fun.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Roger, now I don't feel so bad about not finishing off the Digi-Designer that I started in 1976! (all it needs are a couple of brackets so that the case can be buttoned-up, but what the hey I've used it to breadboard hundreds of circuits as is)

Comment

When ever I need some spending money I start working on a model steam engine or a model hit and miss engine. Within a day or less someone will call with a paying job. Organizing the shop stuff don't seem to help bring in work but if I start on a machining project for me it does.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I won't live long enough to finish everything I've started ... so I don't worry about it!

One thing I've found is it is useful to have at least two running simultaneously. That way when you're waiting on a tool or some paint to dry or whatever you can work on the other.

SP

Comment

Originally posted by Lu47Dan
                              You are besides me the 6th person I have met with an unfinished splitter.Mine lacks 2 hoses and one lifting eye and she's done,and only 6 years.

Worst is,it's cold out,I have a wood heater and a pile of un-split wood.

It makes no sense whatsoever
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X