guess what cutting tool made this cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guess what cutting tool made this cut

I just finished up in the shop, and I was surprised at how smooth this surface turned out. Take your best guess at what cutting tool produced this surface finish. For reference the part is 7075-T6 1.5" wide by 2" long.

-Dan S.
    dans-hobbies.com

Shaper?

Dave
    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

cutting tool or machine?

Looks like a face mill with the head out of tram.

Comment

It's a shaper. There are slight parallel lines running the long direction of the part. Not a bad finish but much more can be done.

7075-T6 will produce mirror finishes with the right tooling. It's very hard, about 20% harder than mild steel. It's the one type of aluminum where the swarf cuts you.

Shapers can produce some interesting finishes.

Here are some examples on steel:

This first is the finish from a regular finish cut in mild steel.

Next we have some fancier finishes.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Amazing finish on those parts Evan, how did you get them so white you cannot even see them on the screen???
          Precision takes time.

Comment

Must be your new internet filter system in operation. They show up fine here.

Comment

I cleared the cache but still nothing shows..The filter must have classified it as pr0n..
              Precision takes time.

Comment

Try this. I made one change that might disclose how the filter works.

Comment

I'd say a slab mill on a horizontal milling machine.
                  Jonathan P.

Comment

Since Dan is the proud new owner of a US Machines vertical mill, I would guess that is what he used to produce that finish. A properly trammed vertical mill with a sharp cutter is quite capable of producing a very nice finish.

If I had to guess which specific cutter he used, I would go with either a fly cutter or face mill.
                    Jim H.

Comment

I dunno, it almost looks like it has three facets to it like it was cut in three passes. Then again it also has a straight grain or brushed surface on top of those facets. Almost looks to be finished with an in line sander.
                      I know I've obtained some really nice finishes on steel using of all things, a random orbit sander.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

The finish isn't consistent with a rotating face cutter. I enhanced the image and it could be a slabbing cutter or a shaper.

Last edited by Evan; 01-22-2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Side cut on an end-milling cutter?

Comment

Horizonal mill with a cutter as wide as the marks indicate???
                            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Ok I'm off to work, but just wanted to say it wasn't done on a mill or a shaper. I'll check in during lunch and give you the answer, I think you'll all be surprised what tool actually made the cut.
                              -Dan S.
                              dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X