Honing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honing Machine

I am going to try to build a Automatic Honing machine fior doing my drag Bike Engines, I wanted to build a metal tankm and have the hone supported on a couple of 1 inch dia rods and go Up and Down to preset stops, Is this a Daunting Project? I mean electrical and drive wise> I have no problem making everything bUT the science of the electronics required is baffling me. I am Easilly Baffled as you all Know thanx Mike

You need to ensure some degree of randomness to avoid having the hones follow the same path over and over.

Comment

HuH?

Like a dwell at the bottom and top or a erratic type motion? thanx Mike Any ideas how to do this?

Comment

You will likely be ahead of the game buying a used Sunnen hone.

Check out these, for example:

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/...Method=keyword

Rex

Comment

Cylinder Hone

I want to build a Engine Cylinder Hone for honing motorcycle barrels blocks. This would be a vertical type of movement required Thanx

Comment

First question.

You can't find an automotive machine shop to do this?

It is a daunting project. Not saying it can't be done, just asking why.
            Gene

Comment

You should build a digital camera so you can take some pics of this stuff you always supposedly build/want to build.

Comment

Originally posted by rode2rouen
                You will likely be ahead of the game buying a used Sunnen hone.

Check out these, for example:

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/...Method=keyword
                Ditto. I bought a Sunnen hone in great condition for around $200. The only problem is collecting the arbors, shoes, and hones themselves for all the incremental sizes.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Honeing

I wanted to use a sunnen torque plate hone and build a device(machine) that would stroke the hone up and down or even ? in a random manner. I dont like to send out any thing to automotive shops because theyre usually hackers. I was surprised when i saw the auto machinist flatten a cylinder head on a big belt sander, kind of grossed me out. Also if i have to hone out .020 or a lot of material it would be nice to just set it up turn on the coolant and let it run with perhaps a timer to shut it off after a specific time. Thanx every one for the ?? replies.

Comment

Not to put too sharp of a point on it, but if you're "honing" .020" out of a cylinder, you should be working with the guy that puts cylinder heads on the belt sander.

Just my $.02

Rex

Comment

Madman,
                      don't fret the nasayers, it's being done.
                      Google barnes hone, they are used in industry.

They run up and down on 2 hardened and ground rods.

think "die-set" go get a used one, remove the rods,
                      get new thompson rod stock to replace, make longer.

Vertical will allow the fixturing you want to do, the
                      torque plate and such.

Simple "dwell" timer makes the up/down motion stop
                      at the ends. Aircraft cylinders have "choke" and this is
                      put in using the dwell feature (at one end).

.020 is common in the sunnen world, they advertise
                      spending less time boring (just enough to get a true hole),
                      hone more.

Comment

Thanx

I get lots of Laughs from some of the replies. I dont take them seriously at all. I know the engine shops were honing a lot out of cylinders up to .020 at a time. I was involved in bike racing and i actually never honed that much ever out of my barrels but some guy coming in my shop (can y ou fix this cheap ) LOL yup ill hone the **** out of his barrel no problem, Generally when i do one of my bike engines after liners bored honed i remove the liners and mike them with a small mike and ball bearing all around the periferie to see where the bore went, I find they (the bored liners are usually a bit off) ,Then i index the liner to prevent rod angularity issues and reinstall them into the block in the newly indexed position, I ran 8 second drag bikes back in the eighties and never had too many problems related to out od aligned bores exept once, that came from a reputable speed?? shop in Toronto that 2 guys used to run. I also have a Zeiss cmm (coordinate measuring machine) machine to recheck things which is nice. It seems hard to get any accurate boring work done by local shops here in Kitchener Waterloo. (one Bike shop did a friends engine full house tune?? after he picked it up and had it dynoed at the same place he dynoed it prior to rebuilding it had 14 hiorseopower less??) Basically im saying anything done right tyou have to do yourself it seems. I also considered just boring soft jaws to hold liners and I have made a aBIG boring bar up to bore out liners this way. This year i am gioing to campaign one of my new motrs at the drags. I was happy to see the cmm report on the finished honed block was damn near perfect, But it was a lot of xtra work that local shops dont seem to care much for, just youre money.LOL Long post eh>? Thanx When i finally learn to post pictures with my new 10 meg camera i will have my friend help me and will piost siome of the new things i been building thanx for youre time Mike

Comment

Thanx

Yes thats kind of what i wish to build, I have a friend from Australia he is 77 years old and a Engineer and machine designer. He is going to help me out, He came bye the house the other day to look at my new shop (heating installed now waiting for gas fitters to hook up Hopefully this friday). He was checking out my flow bench im building and some other stuff, He always chuckles when he comes over cause theres always lots of stuff going on. Nice to keep busy, Anyhow i am slowly getting some great ideas and am going to take pictures and post some later on. thanx Mike

Comment

Originally posted by madman
                            I wanted to use a sunnen torque plate hone and build a device(machine) that would stroke the hone up and down or even ? in a random manner.
                            Do even the high-end Sunnen models do that? From the little I've played with my Sunnen, the real art is moving the work across the hone to "feel" where the high-spots are.

When I've seen the big engine hones on the car talk shows, they have a piston that the operator manually moves the hone up and down. I'm guessing they're doing the same thing: feeling where the hone grabs a little.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

madman, how about using hydralics to move the hone up and down. You could use limit switches and manual stops to control travel and control valves to adjust speed of travel.

I don't see a problem with the hone tracking in the same path during the up/down travels. It would be hard to happen with all the random events going on. Besides the hash marks seem to cancel each other out when I have honed cylinders. Even if you think it is happening you can slow the travel on one or the other strokes to eliminate it.

Personally I think hydralics would be easier to make work than an electric screw driven method.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X