Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trepanning Tool.

Peter wrote in Sir John's thread:

"A trepan is a tool for cutting large discs from sheet metal. Very handy tool and surprisingly accurate I've found. Easy to make."

Here's one: http://www.enuii.org/risley/training...ing_tool_s.jpg

Peter, did you make that tool? If so, what does the "pilot" on the bottom fit into?

Is the cutting tool a long piece of round toolsteel ground on the cutting end?

Do you have a picture of the cutting tool shape?

Is there any problem/trick to getting the top and bottom support arms aligned so that the cutting tool is at 90؛ to the table?

That looks like a very solid tool!

I didn't want to hijack John's thread. The beauty of this BB is how one thing leads to another!

Rgds
    Michael

Australia

No I didn't make it (I found that pic with google images), but I did make a quick-and-dirty one to cut a 110mm hole for a filler cap for my bike. It wasn't of the quality of that tool but it did the job. Unfortunately I butchered it for another fitting.

The basics are simple. The spigot in the bottom of the tool fits into a pre-drilled pilot hole in your workpiece and the top in your chuck or quill. For a cutter I simply ground a short parting tool from 1/4 HSS bar and mounted it vertically, held with a grub-screw. Mine didn't had just the one bar but the one in the picture would be much better.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I couldn't get the link posted by the OP to work, but I found it anyway. Here's another attempt to show the tool. You will have to scroll down the page until you see the trepanning tool.
      http://www.enuii.org/risley/training.../tool_time.htm
      http://www.enuii.org/risley/training...ing_tool_s.jpg

Other trepanning tools:
      Last edited by Jim Caudill; 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter, I have one of the cheap "made in India" ones that sounds like the one you made. It has worked on plastic fairly well but I wouldn't like to push it too hard.

That one in the photo is built like a "Brick Outhouse"

I wonder if it would be worth trying to balance it, by putting some sort of sliding arm/arms out the opposite
        side? Maybe at slow speeds not necessary?

Rgds
        Michael

Australia

Comment

Thanks Jim, that was an interesting site.

I think that "chain wrench" would be illegal here.

Rgds

PS Ok thanks for adding the photo of the other trepanning tools. The one on the Left is exactly a more solid version of my bought one.

Now, how was the Square hole made??
          Last edited by miker; 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM.
          Michael

Australia

Comment

It's almost identical to the one I made. I drilled a round hole and used square stock with a grub-screw. Not too bad if you keep the cutting bit short.
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
            X