Now why didn't I think of that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now why didn't I think of that!

Got the Feb/March issue of Machinists Workshop today and saw the Vertical/Horizontal Milling Support. One idea that just never occured to me.
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Sheesh..... I JUST got my copy of the JANUARY magazine..... and here you have a Feb-March.........

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

So what's the idea? Got a pic for those of us that don't have a copy?

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I'd post a picture but, copyrights and all. Basically a support like the ones that mount on the ram of a BP but placed on the dovetail for the knee. Could very easy be made for a dovetail mill where it could also be used to provide a center hole to tram the head to

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=209-1004

Hey, I usually get my copy late so I assumed...................................
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

You mean one of these ?

No copyright, no idea how old this is but the pic was last edited in 2001.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Wow that's a good idea. Easy to make too just tram in your head and use it to bore the hole in the support - perfect alignment
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Hm, not quite SO easy Peter, Left to Right AND Front to Back on head.

Regards Ian.
              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Aah yes. Easy for me though as my head only rotates in the left-right plane unfortunately. I have some horizontal cutters but never had the means to use them - until now.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                  I have some horizontal cutters but never had the means to use them - until now.
                  -What? R8 stub arbors have been common and inexpensive for years. Similar arbors are available in most of the other mill tapers as well. I used a couple of small horizontal cutters for years before I actually got a horizontal.

And I confess, while that idea- at least as John showed- is indeed clever, I have a hard time seeing the need for it. As in, how much more stable would that be, compared to a simple short stub arbor?

Especially on something like that small gear cutter shown- if the arbor were only an inch or two long, would it really be all that less stiff than the extended one with the bracket?

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Sorry Peter I forgot about the axis that Doc has just pointed to. The QUILL also has to be square sothe bracket also minimises the axial movement of the head, as in a vertically mounted horizontal miller overarm support.

Regards Ian.
                    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Oh, only because I just last week bought an upright mill (which uses proprietory collets so no stub-arbor for me). I guess I could drive an arbor with a support from my 1/2" collet though. I've had a handful of cutters I got with a bundle of other bits some time back.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Any support is better than nothing.
                        Whether you think it worth it is up to you, this shot, which isn't mine BTW, I can't credit is as I don't know who's it is, shows a small gear cutter but it could be any type of cutter.

That cutter is also mounted on a long arbor which sometime you have to do to get clearance, on an arbor that long vibration is a serious issue. If you were running a 6" slitting saw you would finish up wearing it.

Would I build one? no because I have a horizontal and how many shots do you see of horizontals running with out the over arm support? What's to stop an horizontal just using a stub arbor? None it's just better to support it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Could have the best of both worlds and make an extended-shaft driven off a stub-arbor and used with the dovetail support.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

John, I think where some thing like this would pay for the most part is on the RF-45 and clones

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
                              John, I think where some thing like this would pay for the most part is on the RF-45 and clones
                              Or my Bridgeport mill / drill ?

Comment

Working...
                              X