Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using small carbide saw blades on mill ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saltmine
    replied
    I've used them quite a bit. Sure beats buying slitting saws and such....Of course, I did have to make an arbor for the ones I have...
    Feed it slow, or it'll start shedding teeth, though. And lots of lube...

I've even sawed through hot and cold rolled steel with mine.

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Den, here's a pic of mine; it works great! It has a homemade arbor with a 3/4 shaft. I just used it last weekend and kept going up on the d.o.c. and speed. I stopped at .5 in @ 800 rpm in 6061 in my little X3. Much better than any of my regular slitting saws. Mine is 3 3/8 dia and it looks like it has the FTG grind you refer to. I haven't used a 'normal' slitting saw since getting this one over a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• jstinem
    replied
    I've used ordinary Skilsaw blades to cut Al on the Mill. They work great. Just do the math to get tip speed right for the metal you are cutting.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• nheng
    replied
    I'm slow today. It's been edited

Leave a comment:

• Timleech
    replied
    Originally posted by nheng
    FTG is a flat top grind where the top of each tooth is flat. The more common grind is alternate top bevel, or ATB. I would think that the ATB might chip easily due to the sharp angled points, or maybe create some side force.
    Makes sense
    [pedant]So it's really FT grind ?[/pedant]

Tim

Leave a comment:

• nheng
    replied
    FTG is a flat top grind where the top of each tooth is flat. The more common grind is alternate top bevel, or ATB. I would think that the ATB might chip easily due to the sharp angled points, or maybe create some side force.

Leave a comment:

• Timleech
    replied
    Originally posted by nheng
    I noticed some 4-3/8" carbide blades with FTG grind for small circular saws and was wondering if anyone uses them on their mill for (somewhat) precisely cutting off aluminum parts with large cross sections. They seem fairly low cost compared to carbide slitting or slotting saws. Den
    ISTR there was a thread about this a while ago, not tried it myself.
    What's FTG grind?

Tim

Leave a comment:

• nheng
    started a topic Anyone using small carbide saw blades on mill ?

Anyone using small carbide saw blades on mill ?

I noticed some 4-3/8" carbide blades with FTG tooth profile (flat top grind) for small circular saws and was wondering if anyone uses them on their mill for (somewhat) precisely cutting off aluminum parts with large cross sections. They seem fairly low cost compared to carbide slitting or slotting saws. Den
    Last edited by nheng; 01-25-2009, 03:11 PM.
Working...
X