Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These digital mics....comments please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These digital mics....comments please :)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these for sale on FleaBay. For $105/US I cant imagine they would be that great but thier specs look OK if you can belive them. Also has anyone had any experience with this seller???

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=002
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

The same kind I use. I really like the readout, I don't have to get out the mignifing glass. The only problem I had was reading the mic after I had removed too much material.

Patrick

Comment

Depends on your needs. I got a set of the non digital ones but I bet the quality levels are the same. I saw a 0.0003 variation on measurement across the range of each mic.

Clutch

Comment

Where are they made? Where did you get your and for how much?

mark61

Comment

Better to buy the electronic type
          (I had two mech. type and both 'jamed' in no time)

I have a 1-2", and a 2-3" electronic type from ebay.
          Use them for many jobs including bearing fits
          (which I do a lot of)
          The 1-2" will go down to 24mm which is nice when I am doing a 25mm fit.
          Had them about 4 years now with no problems
          Check the work regularly with my Brown and shapes just to
          see if all is well.So far so good.
          eddie
          ps Nice on the eyes as well
          (dam reading glassses )
          please visit my webpage:
          http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mark61
            Where are they made? Where did you get your and for how much?

mark61
            My young bride got mine for me. Don't know any of the specifics on where they came from or how much, but I could ask her.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
              My young bride got mine for me.
              Does your young bride have an older sister?

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
                Does your young bride have an older sister?
                Sorry Ken, but she only has brothers.

She just told me the mics were made in chin-a.

Comment

She just told me they were given to her.

Patrick

Comment

No experience with the mics or the seller, but for what looks like about $180 Cdn I would take the guesswork out of the equation and buy a digital Mititoyo locally. If there is a problem it will be easier to deal with and I usually don't question Mititoyo's quality.
                    Isn't $45 Cdn a little steep for shipping?
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

I have all different kinds of mics. Vernier, dial, mechanical/digital, and electronic. I think my favorite is my Mitutoyo electronic caliper. It's been amazingly accurate, quick to read, and durable. When I was a mechanic I used to set up a lot of rear differential gears, and they all had shims that had to be measured and stacked to give the correct preload on the bearings. The caliper was a Godsend when you had to measure a dozen shims...especially if you were doing the job on commission (time is money)
                      Even after I retired I keep my Mitutoyo next to my lathe. The screen is all scratched, but it's still VERY accurate. I also have a complete set of the geared digital readout mics. They are high quality, and have served me well while I was working. Now, the 0" to 1" mic seems to get used the most.
                      I also have an old dial type caliper that never fails to give unfailing accuracy, for some reason (probably because it cost nearly $200 when I bought it 30 years ago) BTW, I bought the Mitutoyo caliper brand new about the same time, $250 I believe...I recall the other mechanics were astounded that I would spend that much money on a measuring tool..I don't even want to think about how much the set of mechanical/digital mics (in a padded wooden case) cost me...probably somewhere around the price of a weeks' pay, back then...
                      Try to stay away from the $20 Chinese mic. They're not really that good.
                      I also have an OLD browne & Sharpe 1" mic...I've kept it all of these years because I was the only one, besides my uncle, who could read it (it's an old vernier scale mic) It was good to scare off tool borrowers looking for a mic...
                      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I have one made by Mititoyo that I bought 30 years ago. It still works fine. Gary P. Hansen
                        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                          No experience with the mics or the seller, but for what looks like about $180 Cdn I would take the guesswork out of the equation and buy a digital Mititoyo locally. If there is a problem it will be easier to deal with and I usually don't question Mititoyo's quality.
                          Isn't $45 Cdn a little steep for shipping?
                          I just looked up the price of a set of mitutoyo 1"-6" at KBC Tools in Vancouver Canada. Would be over $1000.00!!! Far cry from the Ebay Chinese set for $180.00Can. So how bad can the chicom ones be for that kind of difference???
                          Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Sorry Ernie, that's what I get for trying to eat supper,read the paper, and post a reply all at the same time.
                            I took a quick look at the Ebay link and thought it was for a 0-1" mic!

I do have some Mitutoyo mics and dial indicators but they have been procured over many years, so not a big hit all at once.
                            Given the fact that I don't earn my living with them I would be hard pressed to justify spending close to a thousand bucks on a set of mics at one time.

So based on that premise, I can see your point in looking at a lower cost alternative. As a matter of fact I too own a set of lower cost mics, but mine are of the old vernier scale type. I check them occasionally against standards to verify their accuracy. I have had them a number of years and have had good service from them, although I don't think they would hold up well in shop environment were they would be exposed to a lot more abuse on a daily basis than they do in my little shop.

So, once again sorry for jumping in without looking. I don't have any personal experience with mechanical type digital mics, but would tend to be cautious with them if they were not sealed from the elements very well. In the end you are the best judge as to the type of service they will be subjected to.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

My 0-25mm mechanical/digital has been in my possession for over twenty five years and is soooooooo easy to read, an' the batteries NEVER run down.

OH yes, in their infinate wisdom, made by GKN- SHARDLOW METROLOGY Ltd, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND.

Regards Ian
                              Last edited by Circlip; 01-26-2009, 08:56 AM.
                              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X