14" Rockwell multi-speed lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14" Rockwell multi-speed lathe

Me again, guess I had a senior moment when I asked about the belts I did not mention my lathe is a multi-speed pulleys. I need to know what the length of the main motor to pulley is. Right now it has a 36" one and it is slipping so bad it wont spin the chuck. I don't believe it is the right one. I just acquired this lathe. Thanks in advance.

You mean Vari-speed right? Not the dual v-belts that go up to the headstock and drive the spindle?

Join the Rockwell group on Yahoo. All of the manuals and a bunch of other info are available when you join. Although I don't know if the parts list is there. I need to copy mine and put it in the files section.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RockwellLathe/

These are the Rockwell and industry standard numbers.
    Reeves Drive Belts for 14"

49-099 2322V422
    49-087 2322V364

I don't think the V422 is available anymore so you have to go with a V421 which is an inch shorter. I don't rember which one goes where and my book is at home.

Does your machine use a wheel (older) or a lever (newer) to adjust the speed?

Greg

Comment

You mean Vari-speed right? Thats the one.

These are the Rockwell and industry standard numbers.
      Reeves Drive Belts for 14"

49-099 2322V422
      49-087 2322V364

I don't think the V422 is available anymore so you have to go with a V421 which is an inch shorter. I don't rember which one goes where and my book is at home.

Does your machine use a wheel (older) or a lever (newer) to adjust the speed?

I have the older hand crank one.The pdf manual on yahoo group is the lever type and it does not show what detail I need. I think I am missing some adjustment pulleys. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by texas_po_boy
        I have the older hand crank one.The pdf manual on yahoo group is the lever type and it does not show what detail I need. I think I am missing some adjustment pulleys. Thanks for your reply.
        I've got the same machine with the crank and have the orignal manual and parts list at home.

The Vari-speed (Reeves) drive is basically the same on the old and new machines with the exception of the lever. From the motor there is a vari-belt to the idler and then another vari belt up to drive the double V-belt pulley that drives the spindle.

What pullies do you think you are missing? Can you post a picture of what you have? I'd like to help you, but you're not giving us much to go on.

Greg

Comment

loose belt

Thanks gzig5 for the info. Here are some pic's. I hope.

Sure could use help on adjusting the belts.

Comment

Well the good news is that you have all the pulleys. About the only adjustment there is, is the plate the motor is mounted on to tension the lower belt set. Apply some bar soap on the the both faces of all of the belts while running. Be careful and don't have any loose sleeves. This should quiet them down. Mine makes more noise when it is adjusted all the way to the slow end. In the middle and upper rpm ranges it is pretty quiet. It looks like yours is all the way slow. With the motor running, crank the handle clockwise to increase speed. Only adjust speed when it is running.

The lower belt is part number 49-087 and is a 36.4" belt. The modern equivelent is 2322V364. Put that number in google and you will find several places to buy it and they run about $55-$60

2322 V-Belts -- 2322V364
            SPECIFICATIONS View Entire Datasheet

Belt Angle 22 degrees
            Belt Width 1.44 inch
            Belt Length 36.40 inch
            Type Single Band
            Belt Rubber
            Notes Used in variable and wide range adjustable drives

I bet your belt is not 1.44 inches wide anymore because it's worn out and that is why it is slipping. If a new belt doesn't fix it, check back in here.

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5
              Well the good news is that you have all the pulleys.

The lower belt is part number 49-087 and is a 36.4" belt. The modern equivelent is 2322V364. Put that number in google and you will find several places to buy it and they run about $55-$60

2322 V-Belts -- 2322V364
              SPECIFICATIONS View Entire Datasheet

Belt Angle 22 degrees
              Belt Width 1.44 inch
              Belt Length 36.40 inch
              Type Single Band
              Belt Rubber
              Notes Used in variable and wide range adjustable drives

I bet your belt is not 1.44 inches wide anymore because it's worn out and that is why it is slipping. If a new belt doesn't fix it, check back in here.
              Thank you for all this information,

Comment

No problem. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Wore out belt

Well that new belt did the trick zgig5, Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X