X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hal209
    replied
    Another newby

Hey Pete! I too am a new member, also new to the machining world. I purchased a used benchtop mill. Then I relized I just started to spend money . Wow, the stuff I need (or I think I need).

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    Wow, thanks everyone! Just from reading through the threads and older posts it's pretty obvious that there's a lot of knowledge on this board. I'll be soaking up all I can!!

Pete

Leave a comment:

• abn
    replied
    Just another welcome note...

Leave a comment:

• lane
    replied
    Welcome aboard. We are civilized most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hockett
    replied
    Pete,
    We are about 15 miles from each other as the crow flies but not such an easy drive.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_Shea
    replied
    Originally posted by 10KPete
    Thanks Carl, it looked like a good, civilized, bunch here. I like that a lot.

Pete
    Well. for the most part

Welcome aboard Pete!

Ken

Leave a comment:

• Bill in Ky
    replied
    Welcome Pete. I agree there is a lot to be learned here.

Leave a comment:

• dockrat
    replied
    Welcome aboard!! I can't tell you how much I have learned here from all these knowledgable guys since I found this place

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Post pictures of your projects and shop.

Leave a comment:

• Oldbrock
    replied
    Welcome 10K, you should realise by now that there are no stupid questions here and more than a few will jump in to help if you are stumped by anything machine related. I see you are in Washington State, just south of us in BC. Canada. Have to Google your town to see just where you are. Again, welcome aboard. Peter

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    Originally posted by Carld
    Hi Pete, this is a good site and you should enjoy it here.

There is another site that is very good for home machinists, it's http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

I think you will like it as well.
    Thanks Carl, it looked like a good, civilized, bunch here. I like that a lot.

I'll check out the link.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Hockett
    Pete,
    Welcome to the group. You will find a lot of interesting people on this BBS. What part of the world are you from?
    Thanks for the welcome Mark!

Hmmm, I thought I had that filled in.

It is now!!

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    Hi Pete, this is a good site and you should enjoy it here.

There is another site that is very good for home machinists, it's http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

I think you will like it as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hockett
    replied
    Pete,
    Welcome to the group. You will find a lot of interesting people on this BBS. What part of the world are you from?

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    started a topic New member here....

New member here....

I thought that maybe I oughta introduce myself a bit before jumping into any of the threads.

I found this board a few months ago and started lurking around. Then I joined a few days ago.

I've been messing with mechanical thingies since I was a wee lad, learning at Daddy's knee. Dad was a mechanical natural, built a wire model of a cherry pitter when he was 5 and grew up working on anything mechanical he could get his hands on.

Well, I sorta did the same. I'm mostly retired now and am trying to get my shop organized (does that ever really happen?) and do some projects I've had in mind for decades. A couple of steam engines, some fun tooling for the lathe (SB 10K made 1978) and some widgets and gidgets.

I'm an accomplished weldor, having certified in stick, tig and mig for all the 'common' metals, a fair machinist, and a pretty good all round fabricator of 'stuff'.

I just love making and building things and I have, in the last couple of years, discovered that there are a whole lot of very talented folks on this internet thing. I've been reading the Practical Machinist board (joined a few weeks ago) and just the other day found the Home Model Engine Machinist board.

I've learned a bunch in the last few months and look forward to learning a whole lot more.

You folks have a wonderful board here!

Thanks,
    Pete
Working...
X