If you think you don't have any friends?? OT:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you think you don't have any friends?? OT:

If you think you don't have enough friends, buy lots of beer.. Soon you will have more people standing around than you can stand.

If you think you don't have enough friends, Buy a old junk Wrecker, soon you will be called at all hours of the night by "friends needing help". It has been broke down ever since I figured that out.

If you think you don't have enough friends, let people find out you can weld, you will soon be ran out of argon and welding rod. And when you pay the electric bills and gas bill where are they? Tell "friends up front what it will cost them, don't let them assume it is all free". (watch the friends thin out)

If you think you don't have enough friends, let people find out you have a Home based machine shop... SOON.. you will have to move other peoples projects out of the way to get to your own. (See welding advice)

Then, there are the ones who come around to visit for no reason, looking around intently, then things dissapear later. Hard to grip a lathe handle when your hand won't close from the swelling. I've ran a few more off lately. Love the motion activated cameras. (I hate thieves)

I had a old buddy, a member of a 1%er motorcycle club.. he said, I got enough friends.. He died all alone in a hospital checked in under a assumed name. They buried him under that name and everybody wondered where he had gone. Seems a shame, he spent the first 18 years of life free, the next 20+ in prison, and died a few after that. I only had him around a short while, that lifestyle is like a moth fluttering around a flame.

Come to think of it, I married my best friend.. She ain't near the trouble all the other ones are.. RIGHT NOW.. Second best is a pitt bulldog. I think I miss psychotic Butch, he kept all them "other so called friends ran off".

You guys, well I just don't know about yet.. Ain't none of you showed up at a barbeque with some chips and steaks, of course you ain't showed up to eat my last steak and drink the last beer either thou.
    Excuse me, I farted.

I let everyone know I have a lathe and a mill, and that I charge a "reasonable fee." I also torch-weld and braze and sweat pipe... again for a "reasonable fee." Still got lots of "friends" calling around asking me to mill intake manifolds bigger than my mill though!
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I have a few basic rules for friends projects, they buy the material and I get to keep the excess, they buy the consumables. Trading is always welcome. I have one brother in law that is works fine, they rest seem to take there projects and go home

Comment

Ah yeah, trading is good. I made some parts for a small-time winery, got some bottles of wine as part of the payment. Makes great gifts.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
          If you think you don't have enough friends, buy lots of beer.. Soon you will have more people standing around than you can stand.
          Too true. I quit drinking and 3/4 of my friends were never heard from again. After about a month I realized that that I wasn't really missing anything - they were just a bunch of drunks.

Comment

barter

I have a neighbor with a sideline making wooden spoons, spinning wheels, bowls and anything else out of wood he can dream up. I make him parts for his lathe and other machines and he tills my garden ( large) in the Spring and keeps my driveway clear in the Winter. Moves trees and generally does anything I need a large tractor for. Another one is a welder and we swap projects as well. We call it mutual backscratching. Anyone else pays the going rate. Peter
            The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

I can relate to those false friends . After a time, you find you've spent much of your time helping them out , and getting little in return. And then, when an issue comes up between you that does require their cooperation, they're the first ones to stab you in the back. Doing favors for neighbors does not seem to build up any loyalty or sense of obligation on their part. I now only trade favors with one long time neighbor, who seems to fully understand the concept of equal give and take.

Comment

Friends

Yaeh Dave thats why I only stayed a Week. LOL Madman

Comment

People think I am sick in the head for being so anti social. I've seen how ****ty people are, don't like 99% of them.

Comment

Dave your too far away for me to get at your beer and I'm too busy making stuff for $ aswell as chasing away cheap a$$ x friends.

My rule. I do a favor for anybody ONCE after that you NEVER get in

Comment

Madman.. I forgot plumb about your visit here.. GUYS, he bought his own groceries, his wife did a bunch of cooking.. she, just like him could not keep still... was cleaning and moving all the time..

We tried to get her to stay, she had people asking if they wanted to stay with "them" for a while where my wife works.. WELL... More HER than him.. ha.. they heard about her cooking..

I don't remember roasting any possums while they were here thou.. and WinchMan.. he sold me a old unbreakable truck.. and .. lemme see.. GaMachinist.. he came up and brought beer.. and.. Am I forgetting anyone, ya can Biatch me out in public..

(head cold, bursted eardrum, can't sit still thou been working on streetrods here)
                      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

David:
                        Your post needs to be enlarged and posted on the wall in a lot of shops where "friends" can see it. Excellent words!

Anyone with a decent emergency generator is a target for "friends" also. When I loan out mine, the conversation goes something like this:

"I see you have cable TV. I've never got around to getting it installed."

"Yes?"

"What's that cost a month?"

"Oh about 30 bucks a month for basic, more for all the good stuff."

"Seems to me that 2 years of cable bills would buy a passable generator."

"Uh............."

My brother and I had this conversation. Once. He's a good guy, and has a generator now. Others haven't gotten the message. I would like to tell them "use your cable TV to keep warm", but I guess I'm soft hearted.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Me, I like making bits for friends, it's part of the fun of having a workshop and using it.

I have a friend who is a Chippie. Uses 'Festool' brand woodworking tools almost exclusively, and very good they are too, if expensive.
                          Most of his work is in renovation and repair of grade 1 & 2 listed buildings, which means that 90% of the work has to be done in situ with minimal intrusion on the original building features, and good as the Festool stuff is, there are things it can't do.
                          So he comes up with ideas for jigs and fixtures, and adaptations for the tools, and comes down to see me for a weekend.
                          He stays over, buys all the beer and wine and takeaway food and DVDs and snacks for the kids, and we spend the weekend in the workshop making bits.

I enjoy using the machines, he enjoys watching the stuff being made, and the wife and kids enjoy the stuff he's brought over.
                          Its a win-win situation really.

Peter

Comment

Hey dave I am your friend and I don't ask for things from you if I moved in next door maybe you could help me fix the errr kust kidding I have tried to phone you with no success it keeps saying you wont accept calls from people who wont leave a number anyway I will keep trying Alistair bronwen and the boys.
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Next door neighbor took care of my lawn after I had triple bypass surgery a couple of years ago, without asking. When I use my snowblower, I make sure to do his sidewalk, too. He has someone with a blade do his driveway... I also do minor gun repair for him at cost for the parts.

David
                              Montezuma, IA
                              David Kaiser
                              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X