Snow day - what did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow day - what did you do today?

Well, the snow 'round here caused me to get a day off from my real job. Ran the snow blower 'till it was out of gas. All the little old ladies got thier driveways cleared.

So, to dry out, I thought that I would finish pushing machines around the new shop. Lathe is in place and level. Mill is in place, level later. Van Norman is in the corner with all sorts of room around it.

Will have to move the grinders later. Maybe this weekend. Then the 3-phase electric, then, then, then.

I'm beat.

Here is the status.
    Click for larger photo.

What are all of you up to?
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

I was about to get in the truck when the boss called to say not to come in.

Gave me time to do some serious snow-shoveling, despite the fact that I did a bunch late last night. Feels like the old country here, nice!

Then I had some work stuff (part searching)I could do from anywhere, so I did some of that, then I spent a bunch of time here setting up a new Atmel programming environment, eval board, and JTAG programmer to mess with (Now we are using these Atmel chips at work, so I need to learn them..... a WHOLE lotta task windows in AVR studio 2).

Sent off some stuff at the PO, missed getting to the locksmith by 15 minutes (this was my best shot in the forseeable to get the front door lock cylinder fixed, and I forgot about needing to until it was too late.).

Came here to waste some time and avoid more real work. I've got plumbing I don't want to do, and a machine to reverse-engineer, ditto. It's starting to sound like suppertime, too.

You've got way too much room. My whole shop would fit in the corner starting somewhere between the mill and lathe. Closer to the mill, though.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM.
    1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Relaxed in the pool with a cold one....or two.

Rgds.
      Michael

Australia

Comment

I made a raspberry pie. Then I shoveled the cars out. Then I had a piece of pie.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I flew my ass off in our chilly 75 deg weather

Comment

Nothing but moving snow is all that got done, my only enjoyment was a nap in the recliner.

Rockrat, obviously I am not seeing what I think I am seeing, how in the world do you heat that ??????

Looking back, I can remember when a echo could be heard in my building, lots of free space and organized, now I can barely see opposing walls, starting this spring, there is going to be a major clean up and things are going to get back to at least some reasonable organization.

Comment

You forgot to mention that you installed the (4-legged) security system as well!

Andrew

Comment

I worked today, but apparently the plow/salt truck drivers didn't because they never touched my street.

Comment

Rockrat, if I had a space and toys like that, I'd pray for snow more often than I do now

John

Comment

So, to dry out, I thought that I would finish pushing machines around the new shop.
                    Jeez, look at the size of that place
                    "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Can one of you guys send some of the snow over here asap, it's 115F in the shade today, 122F in the workshop and likely to stay this hot for the next week at least. A bit of snow would be REALLY nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin
                        Can one of you guys send some of the snow over here asap, it's 115F in the shade today, 122F in the workshop and likely to stay this hot for the next week at least. A bit of snow would be REALLY nice!
                        it sound like your in hell. tell us where you really are . .. .. .. ..

Comment

Nice shop Rock! What does it cost you to heat that attic? If that's your security system what do you do with his tongue when he's on duty? Tie it down to his jaw I'm on my 3d Lab (black, yellow and now chocolate) and all mine are really ugly till you get the door open !!

Snow day for us to yesterday. Spent an hour plowing the drive over 1" of ice bottom just slipping and sliding and rode into town in our 2001 Ford F350 4WD turbo charged Power Stroke Diesel with the extended cab and SRW. I like to bully the greenies in the little cars. Run up on them and then let out a belch of black smoke Life is good.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by ProGunOne
                            Jeez, look at the size of that place
                            Thats what she said.

Yea, it a 40x60 shop. 1/2 for metal and stuff and the other half for working on cars and storage. Heat? There is a gas forced air heater on the floor back there that I need to get hung up and plumbed in. The shop floor has radiant tube in it. Another project to get started.

Ceiling? Thats next. Its amazing what a ceiling will do for heat in a shop. And anything that moves the air around helps as well.

PUPPY! That there is one of them German Short Hairs. She helps out round the place now and then.

rock~
                            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I finally got a new engineering contract last week, (first one this year), so I sat at my computer and designed my buns off, never even looked outside. Damn I hate winter---Hate it---Hate it----Hate it. (But I'm going to St. Lucia for a week at the end of February!!! )
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X