Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wierdscience
    replied
    What did I do today?Nothing I had planned to do.The whole day shot to hell shuffling paper and playing phone tag with customers.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Nice picture.... That snow should be squeaking at least when the sun gets low, if not before.

One thing I don't get much down here in the tropics is squeaky snow..... It starts to squeak around -5F and changes character as you probably have noticed, down below that, until everything starts to get quiet below -30F.

We don't get cold enough for squeaky snow, although it has been getting steadily colder in winters here for some time. When I first came down here in the 1970s, it was rarely below freezing, and snow was always gone in 3 days. Even the 24" of snow we got in 1982 was gone in a week, except for the piles in parking lots.

More recently we have had just 5 or 6" of snow stay for 3 or 4 weeks. But it still doesn't squeak.

Leave a comment:

• Gavin
    replied
    Thanks Evan, I'll print it out and hang it over my lathe this weekend.

I'm hoping it cools down next week (althought I don't think it will), next Sunday I'm due to race my Superkart. Sitting in a leather race suit with my backside 1" off the hot race track at 100 mph+ in this sort of temperature is not a lot of fun at my age.

Rgds - Gavin

Leave a comment:

• Ken_Shea
    replied
    Looks like a beautiful place Evan, unfortunately I saw people there, two of them

The only place I ever experience zero people is around me when I need help.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Here is an inspirational picture for you Gavin. I live on the top of the hill in the near distance.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Evan, wherever that is, is too hot and has too many bugs and snakes.

Yup, plain nasty there, like it better here.

Leave a comment:

• Gavin
    replied
    Originally posted by davidh
    it sound like your in hell. tell us where you really are . .. .. .. ..
    David, I'm in Adelaide, South Australia. It's been this temperature for quite a few days now and there's no relief in sight for at least the next week or two.

To compound the problem we are in the middle of the worst drought for 100 years so we can't use water to keep cool or keep gardens alive.

Went out to the workshop (uninsulated iron 30' x 20' shed) last night to do an urgent welding job, had all the covers off the MIG with fans blowing on it to try and keep it running long enought to complete the job.

Thought about jumping in the rainwater tank to cool off but that water is now hot as well.

The thing is, complaining about it ain't going to make it any cooler so I keep working out there and just drink a lot of water.

Leave a comment:

• steve45
    replied
    Snow? I think I remember seeing that once or twice...

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I think a couple of inspirational images are in order.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I finally got a new engineering contract last week, (first one this year), so I sat at my computer and designed my buns off, never even looked outside. Damn I hate winter---Hate it---Hate it----Hate it. (But I'm going to St. Lucia for a week at the end of February!!! )

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    Originally posted by ProGunOne
    Jeez, look at the size of that place
    Thats what she said.

Yea, it a 40x60 shop. 1/2 for metal and stuff and the other half for working on cars and storage. Heat? There is a gas forced air heater on the floor back there that I need to get hung up and plumbed in. The shop floor has radiant tube in it. Another project to get started.

Ceiling? Thats next. Its amazing what a ceiling will do for heat in a shop. And anything that moves the air around helps as well.

PUPPY! That there is one of them German Short Hairs. She helps out round the place now and then.

rock~

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Nice shop Rock! What does it cost you to heat that attic? If that's your security system what do you do with his tongue when he's on duty? Tie it down to his jaw I'm on my 3d Lab (black, yellow and now chocolate) and all mine are really ugly till you get the door open !!

Snow day for us to yesterday. Spent an hour plowing the drive over 1" of ice bottom just slipping and sliding and rode into town in our 2001 Ford F350 4WD turbo charged Power Stroke Diesel with the extended cab and SRW. I like to bully the greenies in the little cars. Run up on them and then let out a belch of black smoke Life is good.

Leave a comment:

• davidh
    replied
    Originally posted by Gavin
    Can one of you guys send some of the snow over here asap, it's 115F in the shade today, 122F in the workshop and likely to stay this hot for the next week at least. A bit of snow would be REALLY nice!
    it sound like your in hell. tell us where you really are . .. .. .. ..

Leave a comment:

• Gavin
    replied
    Can one of you guys send some of the snow over here asap, it's 115F in the shade today, 122F in the workshop and likely to stay this hot for the next week at least. A bit of snow would be REALLY nice!

Leave a comment:

• ProGunOne
    replied
    So, to dry out, I thought that I would finish pushing machines around the new shop.
    Jeez, look at the size of that place

Leave a comment:

Working...
X