Steam powered sawmill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam powered sawmill

Saw this on another forum and thought you guys would like to see it.

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/hull_oaks.html#

Very neat. Thanks!

Comment

Shows the last of the steam millwrights, too. Here's where those sawn logs ended up: http://www.nps.gov/safr/historycultu...estoration.htm
      Allan Ostling

Comment

thanks for sharing. what a great bunch of photos. im surprised osha has appeared to have left this mill un-touched. . . .

Comment

they have a few of them round here not steam driven a local teacher was showing the kids how it worked when he fell in.took a week to clean it up can you imagine I never saw logs as straight and nice as that put through it though.Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

great photo's, thanks for posting it.

Comment

Those are great photos. I saw a similar operation at Tahasis BC in the 70s. It only handled 40 ft maximum as it was a production saw mill, but used a steam-driven "gunshot" carriage. That is, the carriage was on a steam cylinder with a 40 ft stroke. The 8 ft head rig was double cutting and the blade was water-cooled. When I was there, it was running three shifts and cutting 1,000,000 board feet of western hemlock every 24 hours. These are pretty much all gone now.
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

A wonder to behold! Thanks for posting this. I need to get down there for a visit, if they'll have me, before they too go the way of the dodo.

Pete
                1973 SB 10K .
                BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Great stuff. There was a steam powered sawmill in the village which I grew up in, near Algonquin Park, in Ontario, Canada.--Also a water powered mill (water turbine), and a diesel powered mill. Summers were full of the sweet smell of pine sawdust----Winters the mills shut down and all the men went into the logging camps for the winter. The air in winter always smelled of smoldering pine fires from the giant sawdust piles, which would always set themselves on fire from spontaneous combustion. We used to clean off a hockey rink on one of the millponds, and if our feet got cold we would stick our feet into the sawdust piles to get warm. (They never burned on the outside--they burned from the center, and would keep collapsing in on themselves all winter.) The outside of the sawdust piles were covered with snow, but if you dug in about a foot they would be at 90 degrees.---Brian
                  Last edited by brian Rupnow; 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM.
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

This is a pretty interesting mill, I have been over there and seen it. They bought out thousands of acres of 2nd and 3rd growth fir and spruce from Georgia Pacific, so they have a pretty good supply of wood. They do have tours of the operation if you are interested in seeing it.

Jay
                    "Just build it and be done"

Comment

Working...
                    X