A carriage stop for a 8x14 lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A carriage stop for a 8x14 lathe

I uploaded a higher res photo and a pdf of the plans I made over on the other forum, the model engine one...

This is a very simple project, and it is very solid. Plenty of metal left on it for you to modify, such as adding an acme screw and graduated dial, what ever you want.
    Dimensions are a perfect fit for my Lathemaster.

Very nice job Bill, a well worth the effort project that will be used many times.

Comment

That's much nicer than the one I did for my 7x12. What is that other forum? I'd like to see your plans.

This was my effort.

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Excellent work Bill, I made one for my 8x14 a while back as well. I'm surprised someone with a cnc mill isn't pumping them out.
        -Dan S.
        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by danlb
          That's much nicer than the one I did for my 7x12. What is that other forum? I'd like to see your plans.
          I think yours is very nice as well!

It's over here, homemodelenginemachinist.com
          I am not going to make a link due to net etiquette. They allow me to upload files and pictures, can't do that here and I haven't fixed my lack of webspace yet..

Comment

...and drill/ream a hole to fit a 2" D.I. and voila! (viola to the musically inclined) You have a poor man's D.R.O.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Wow I need to make that...

Comment

You know....it never fails to amaze me that, given a concept, how many different ways people here can fulfill that concept. Thats why I love this board. So many ideas!!!!! Here is my meager attempt that I did before seeing any others in here that would be way better

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Here's the carriage stop I made for my lathe

It's only ink and paper

Comment

Very nicely done folks.

I like the idea of the threaded depth stop with calibrated dial. .001 per division? 10 tpi thread?

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

This is the one I made for my 8x14, it will hold both my 1" & 2" indicators. The stop bar is a 3/8" reamer blank.

-Dan S.
                      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I love it how we all came up with different designs to do the same exact thing. Very nice work all.

Comment

Looks nice and shiney. But I really would knock those edges and corners down.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                            Yeh, I should, wish I had a decent belt sander.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                              Why?
                              They have the appearance of precision.
                              I guess they are susceptible to unintentional dings but they are kind of out of the way and it's not like you're going to cut yourself on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X