Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• platypus2020
    replied
    yes the collet snaps into the nut before you put in the holder, and when you loosen the nut, it pulls the collet out of the holder. So far my set works fine, my only regret was not getting it sooner.

Jack

Leave a comment:

• S_J_H
    replied
    Worse, the collet does not release when the clamping force is removed. It continues to grip the tool. The threaded ring has to be removed and the collet pried out of the holder.
    I thought those collets were similar to a ER collet- in which first you snap the collet into the nut,- before inserting into the chuck.
    The way you describe it sounds like you are putting the collet into the chuck and then screwing on the nut which is not the way ER collets work.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• patty boy
    replied
    Grizzly Collet Set

I bought a set of Grizzly's quick-change collets (#T10068) with the R8 adapter. The finish is excellent, and the runout is zip. I'm impressed with the workmanship.

Nonethelsss, I'm disappointed in them.

The adapter tightens the collet using a threaded ring. When the ring is removed, which you must do to change collets, it's difficult to get the threads started again.

Worse, the collet does not release when the clamping force is removed. It continues to grip the tool. The threaded ring has to be removed and the collet pried out of the holder. Quick change it's not.

I could bevel the threaded ring so it would start easier, but I see no easy way to get the collet to release when it's clamping pressure is released. This must be a design problem, and I don't see an easy answer.

I'll probably return the set to Grizzly

Leave a comment:

• PaulT
    replied
    If that set isn't ER type (and it probably isn't as they'd be dumb not to say so if it was), I'd go with a R8/ER holder and collet set from www.maritool.com instead. Good quality and prices, great support.

I don't know about "quick change" with these types of collets and holders thou, I use them a lot on my CNC-BP mill but if you are running carbide endmills you have to crank them up to factory torque specs (60 to 80 ft-lbs on ER32) or they'll slip on you. I had to make a special fixture to do this, its too much to try to do in the spindle. I bought a cheapo R8 to int40 adapter and put mounting plates on it so I can pop it in my vise, when using endmills I tighten the collets in that fixture.

Paul T.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Griffing
    replied
    I have a similar set. The taper is of course R8, but the collets are not. They are not ER either. Mine, at least, are Ortlieb.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hockett
    replied
    Originally posted by jkilroy
    If they are TG's they are probably TG 75's but those usually go for big bucks, $25 ea. and up. Looks like a home grown variant, but should work well.
    TG 75 do not go to 1", TG 100 go to 1"

Leave a comment:

• kc5ezc
    replied
    Hey Jack: Do you have any more info on the neat looking vertical head for your little atlas horizontal? I have the basic casting but no prints or other info. I do best when I follow someelse's lead.
    Thanks
    [email protected] or PM me if you have info to share.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    DOH!!!!!!! Sorry for the podercoat question...yeesh!

Leave a comment:

• patty boy
    replied
    R8 Collets

Timely post. I've been considering the same set, but have been hesitant because they are not ER's, and Grizzly quality is all over the place. I think I'll go ahead with them after reading your post.

Thanks for the info

Leave a comment:

• jkilroy
    replied
    If they are TG's they are probably TG 75's but those usually go for big bucks, $25 ea. and up. Looks like a home grown variant, but should work well.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    How durable is submerged powdercoat?

deleted...wrong place...
    Last edited by torker; 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pace
    replied
    Whatever they are, they are definitely in the same family as the ER's -- real close.

There may not be any huge advantage as to the "quick change" over, say, R-8 but I for one do love my ER-40 set (which looks really similar to this) It came with the same assortment of sizes.

I think youll come to really enjoy them....

Leave a comment:

• jdunmyer
    replied
    I bought a similar collet setup before I got my B'Port, then never used them. A link here that showed nearly all conceivable collets tipped me off that they are NOT ER- collets, but something similar, "used on milling machines". I ended up cutting off the R8 shank and making a flange for the 7X10 mini-lathe spindle so I'd have a collet set for it. Works great!

Exactly what is the advantage to this "Quick Change Collet setup" anyway? I don't see that it's faster than R8s, the main thing is the ability to put drill bits directly into the collets.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by GKman
    Those look more like TG-100 collets to me.

Leave a comment:

• GKman
    replied
    Originally posted by platypus2020
    I got the set as a birthday present from the wife.

Jack
    Nice looking tools. Your wife wouldn't have a sister that's unattached, would she?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X