Hiding from the law!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding from the law!

I don't know, but it seems that a lot of people may be hiding from someone or something cause they appear to be afraid to put their location in their ID when they join. Now, I'm not saying it is required, it isn't, but it is nice to know where the person you are posting to, is from.
    To add your location, now that you have joined the forum, click on "User CP" in the upper left corner of the screen and then click on "Edit Profile", scroll down to the 3rd block labled "additional Information" and type in "where you live". I promise I won't show up on your doorstep looking for a handout.
    I just like to know where everyone is doing their finest machine work.
    I'll shut up now, cause I am starting to bug me now.

Patrick

This always bugged me too.

I mean, it's not like we can figure out your exact address from Ratfink, Arkansas.

Seriously, if "someone" (and this rarely happens despite what the Media says) manages to hack the site and steal the IP addresses, you're more or less located ANYWAY.

Having a location filled in helps us determine the best suppliers to recommend ("Happy Family Tool Post is in the same city as you, Jim") and stuff to that effect.

What I'm getting at is you aren't going to come to harm by at least giving us a state location.

Heck I'm an outspoken management hating reform-pushing anti-establishment yahoo who posts using his real name and city of residence on some forums ALONG WITH A PICTURE, and no harm has come to me, yet.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

...check my profile
      "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

With google earth's street level mapping and pictures. Don't ya know you can drive down every street and look for the open garage doors. And then see your equipment and plan to steal it when your sleeping.

Look for swarf tracked out of the shop and left in the driveway as you make your way to the house.

Don't want the other members to find out that you don't live in possum haller and real in a 37 story apartment bldg in New Yuark city.

Or that you have more then one username and are smoking the membership. After being banned for being a real jerk.

I have heard so many reasons, why not to put it up that most of them shouldn't be on the internet.

So think up way any reason why you should and some can think up six why you shouldn't.

At least the state or country, should be mandatory. I get tired of get bitched out when the parties on some sites are asking for a source and they are in another country and hid the fact.
        Glen
        Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
        I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
        All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
          I don't know, but it seems that a lot of people may be hiding from someone or something cause they appear to be afraid to put their location in their ID when they join.............
          I thought I was hiding from my "EX"........now I'm not sure...........Are you HER ???

She's just sneaky enough to pretend to be a guy.........just to trap me.........
          RPease

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
            This always bugged me too.

I mean, it's not like we can figure out your exact address from Ratfink, Arkansas.

Seriously, if "someone" (and this rarely happens despite what the Media says) manages to hack the site and steal the IP addresses, you're more or less located ANYWAY.

Having a location filled in helps us determine the best suppliers to recommend ("Happy Family Tool Post is in the same city as you, Jim") and stuff to that effect.

What I'm getting at is you aren't going to come to harm by at least giving us a state location.

Heck I'm an outspoken management hating reform-pushing anti-establishment yahoo who posts using his real name and city of residence on some forums ALONG WITH A PICTURE, and no harm has come to me, yet.
            DEAR LIGER ZERO
            And sign your name after your posts as well, i feel an idiot when i end up replying to liger zero.. whatever that means.

ALL THE BEST.MARK

Comment

A "Liger Zero" is some kind of pretend Japanese Animation Robot from a TV series I helped translate.

Love,
              Brian "You can't work here you are too young" Richard
              Dark Lord Of The Sith, Keeper Of The Epic Plecostomus, Master Of The Moths.
              This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
              Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Ibewgypsie... fella

I'll post my address if you'll show up with steaks and beer..
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

"They" know where you are anyway, so you might as well let us know too. The only way to hide from them is to line your hats with lead foil so they can't read your mind. Hold on, some is banging on the doorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Comment

Let them come! They can't arrest all of us! THE FIGHT WILL GO ON!

Doorbell? At this hour? Who could it be?

--Brian "Will you just shut up and get back to work" Richard
                    Leader Of The Rebel Alliance, Feeder Of The Squawking Budgie, Mover Of The Creepy Centipede

Comment

Conyers Georgia
                      George from Conyers Ga.
                      Remember
                      The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

David i don't drink but i don't mind facilitating. i plan to be down your way on the bike this summer so don't be surprised. what kind of beer do you drink or should i just bring Jack.

as far a my personal info, a person would have to be stupid or looking for trouble to put their name and location on the web. i certainly won't do it! never!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Andrews
                          as far a my personal info, a person would have to be stupid or looking for trouble to put their name and location on the web. i certainly won't do it! never!
                          So who is Margaret or Julene?
                          Gene

Comment

Soo, you think the members that post a location are really there??? Don't you think you could say your in Tinbucktwo and really be in Howdydo???
                            It's only ink and paper

Comment

I think this has been discussed before, but not necessarily on the HSM website. I have been posting on a variety of these forums for better than 10 years. I have always used my name and general location. So has Forrest Addy and several others. I've not heard of any negative ramifications, nor have I experienced any. I participate in a "Car Wash" forum (I do have a self-serve wash) and it is incredibly annoying when other board members talk of their expenses, revenue, etc and no one knows where they are located. You really need a context sometimes to understand what the poster is describing. When someone needed something here on this board (a tool, part, or help), I used to try and figure out their location to see if I could be of some assistance - I don't anymore. Thanks to another member of this site posting his location, I was able to establish contact with him and learn he was our old newspaper boy (whom I though had died years ago) and who's mother lives a few blocks away from me.

I have met other board members and loaned them tooling, gave them advice, met for "field trips", sold a few items, etc. Not a great deal of contact, but, I like to think we benefitted from the contact we've had.
                              Last edited by Jim Caudill; 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X