coil nailer gun for wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil nailer gun for wood

Hi I bought a coil nailer for woodwrking works off compressed air.I have many nail guns and staplers but not a coil nailer these come in a large roll of say 120 nails and usually wired to seperate them if anyone here has one can they tell me are there many different types of coiled nails The ones I need are from 22mm to 45mm and are round can anyone explain the different types please I.E. flat nails round nails etc is this important I need to educate myself on these coil nails for this gun..Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

bump Alistair

Comment

A coil nailer is a specialized tool for applying asphalt shingles, (tiles to you.) They usually only handle nails from 1" to 1 3/4" with POSSIBLY 3/4" and 2" as extremes. I have never heard of them being used for anything else, and you might note that the nail is a "special" design-that is it may not necessarily follow the wire gauge , head diameter and thickness of the "International Nail Bodgers Association!"
      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

thanks duffy if the nail shingles they will nail other things so anyway I will try it.Alistair

Comment

Alistair..I used to have a Bostitch coil nailer.
          I used it for one roof then always used it with 1 3/4" Ardox twist type nails.
          I put up a few truck loads of wall sheeting...roof sheeting etc with it.
          Those lil nails weren't very long but they hold like crazy.
          Russ
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Coil nailers are available for most every commonly used fastener. I have one for roofing nails up to 2" long and one for regular nails up to 3 1/2" long. The nails are available plain, galvanized, stainless, standard head, siding head, etc.

Pete
            1973 SB 10K .
            BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Not to mention ring shanked,twist shank etc.

Here's a page with a good selection-

http://www.nailzone.com/coilnails.aspx
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Alistair,

Name the nail gun and the model number.

I bought a couple Paslodes at auction, some years ago, and cases of nails, at the same auction, and the nails were not FOR that nailer.

They are essentially worthless, without modification of the nail gun. I had to grind the feed pawls to let it feed at all, and had to "align" the angle of the strip of nails to make it work.

BTW, I have looked, and nails are no longer made for that nail gun. The wires are spaced differently, at a different angle.

BTW, these guns DO feed from coils. It is not only roofing nailers that are coil fed. Today, it seems most are "stick" fed, but the drawback is that each mfg determines their angle of feed. Non-interchangeable.

Were I to buy a new one, would probably buy a China made adjustable model, takes different angled nail strips. When it gave up the ghost, ****can it and get another.

Sorry, but if they WILL lock you into THEIR nails, I won't buy the major makers.

Most all of you guys know what I mean about "you can only get that from us, at our asking price".

Cheers,

George

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean George! I have the Hitachi, it's about 8 years old now I guess, and nails for it are available just about anywhere from a number of makers. It shares types with a number of other nailers.

I bought it 'cause, at the time, it was the only one out there I could use to shoot 16d sstl siding nails (small shank and head) for 5/4 cedar decking. All the others would only go to 8d nails.

Great tool; it's not failed once!

Pete
                  1973 SB 10K .
                  BenchMaster mill.

Comment

These guys run some good construction tool tests. Here is a lot of info on framing nailers. I subscribe to their free hard copy magazine.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=649074

One of the most important things about buying a nailer (for me anyway) is the ease with which I can buy replacement nails. Like previously mentioned it seems almost every manufacturer has its own quirk about nails.

For me you can't go wrong with either Hitachi or Bostitch. Coil nailers hold more nails (than a stick nailer) so if you are in production mode that is a consideration.

Shingle nailers are different than framing nailers and different than finish nailers. Framing nailers are by far the heaviest.

Comment

It's not an expensive one a yama r 45 takes from 22 to 45mm and it was originally bought from Axminster tools ghere in the uk they have since superceeded this for a cheaper machine.Coil nailere well,they are very poular here in the uk even though shingle roofs or felt tile roofs are not generally done here. I have never seen a shingle roof in the uk maybe someone else has Ive seen a couple of felt roofs but they are not poular.This model was sold by Axmivster and they still do the nails but for the price they charge for 7.200 you can buy 16.000 on ebay I jaus t dont want the wrong ones what can I do with sisxtreen thousand nails that dont fit??Alistair Alistair

Comment

Working...
                      X