X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    OK.....

Punching dies are relieved on the inside, meaning that the hole that the punch goes thru gets bigger further down. This is to let the work (or the punched-out scrap) fall away freely.

Molds are relieved wider towards the surface ("draft") so that the molded part can pop out. The draft is different for different surface textures in plastic molding.

Back in the day, dies were often made by marking out and filing to the line on a die filer (wow!). The inside relief was also filed on the die filer, by tilting the table the correct amount.

The square was to check the presence, and amount of, the relief (or draft) from the mold parting line or die top (cutting) surface. You'd run it around and verify that it passed all around in contact, so you knew the angle was present and at least the amount required.

Leave a comment:

• kendall
    replied
    Great!
    I have one of those in the tool box that I always wondered about.
    Good to see my ideas confirmed.

Ken.

Leave a comment:

• old-biker-uk
    replied
    Paul
    Just that - an adjustable square for die & pattern work.
    (I use it to see how far I am from being able to file 'square'!)
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Originally posted by old-biker-uk
    Bent bit fits one of these:-

Mark
    OK, I'll bite. Just what the heck is "these"?

It looks like some kind of adjustable "square" but what is it used for? Die work again?

Leave a comment:

• old-biker-uk
    replied
    Bent bit fits one of these:-

Mark

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    irrelivant for most cases of die, i can only say about extrusion dies, after the die is made the thickness of the die varies to 'choke' metal into corners, they call the thickness the bearing, from the back [where the metal is forced in] to the front [where the extrusion exits] there is an angle of about 5 degrees as an average, less with a thicker than 1" die, so you sit in a chair with a vise at eye level, an anglepose on the bench with a 40w bulb in and boxes of needle files and file the angle on, without screwing up the EDM profile of the cavity, fun, fun, fun, then you get to polish it with a strip of emery pulled tight over a file [grind a little point on the end of a flat file to secure the emery cloth]
    after all that the die gets a trial on the press, if it works, repolish and harden it [nitride/ion nitride]

Leave a comment:

• rolland
    replied
    mcgyver
    yes there is a groove they are upside down. I use them for making small parts where a larger square is too clumsy, and no I have no idea how to do die filing.
    Just was not sure what the offset piece was for.
    Thanks for the explaination

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    are those parts are from the same square? Left and bottom a small tool makers square - each blade has a small groove on the other side, down its length, right? The thin and dog leg look like from a die makers square. A die maker square permits and adjustment the pieces so they are angled, say 0-10 degrees off of 90 degrees. This is so it can be used to check the draft (?) on a die, the clearance angles after the opening

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    i have one [some bits missing], set at 5 degrees for extrusion dies bearings, havent filed one since 1979, wonderful tool, have fun [if you make dies that is]
    mark

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Looks like it...

If it's a "real" one, it will have some way to adjust the arm OUT of square by a small amount, which would correspond to the relief in the die.

often there are one or two small set screws that the main screw pulls the arm back against. With those, you can set it to any slight angle, or no angle.

The thin arms will go down in the die cavity to check the relief.

Leave a comment:

• teejay
    replied
    its a die makers square

Leave a comment:

• rolland
    started a topic What is it for?

What is it for?

I picked up this tool makers square and included in the set was a "dog leg" piece. Is there a special purpose for it or just used as an offset.
Working...
X