X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real and immediate boost to Economy, open letter to Obama

www.whitehouse.gov

Dear Mr President..

I am 51, I work Union jobs where they drug test so this does not apply to me, but:

While in Arkansas in the 90s I was amazed at the amount of Marijuana coming into our country. I read about people from all walks of life in prison for having-selling it. My wife's cousin moved to a state where it is less restricted and less prison time over it. She is our age.

Instead of releasing the people in Guantanamo back to attack our nation, release all the people in prison for "marijuana offences". Let them go. They pursued a lifestyle that was a illegal choice at the time.

Furthermore. Legalization would boost the economy more than any "CRAP stimulus bill" you and the congress can father. RJ Reynolds and others could have a product "TAXED" and controlled to the market in months after conception and legalization. THIS would provide jobs for the marketeers, provide a boost for the economy and fight the war on illegal drugs. CLOSE the borders to imports of Marijuana, make it less profitable to cross with huge amounts of pot.

As a young construction worker, once the drug testing started I could either party or make money on the job. I chose to make money. NOW health does not allow me to drink anymore, but I bet I could puff a few hooters in my old retirement age just fine.

Legalize pot Please, take the profits out of the hands of criminals and make it taxable.

David Cofer, Tunnel Hill Georgia. Taxpayer, Non-felon and I still vote.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Dave --- Ever get high? i can assure you its not the solution for the economy as nobody would ever get anything done (save for spreading their DNA all over town )

Ohh yeah --- there is the solutions to all the worlds problems and how your constantly tripping over "epiphanies" --- but then you actually make the mistake of writing them down and looking at them the next morning

Those were the days but lets not jump out of the frying pan and into the fire, Americano's are lazy enough, lets just keep it recreational and reduce the charges to a hand slap -- I gotta have it slightly illegal -- it keeps the excitement alive...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
      Dave --- Ever get high? i can assure you its not the solution for the economy as nobody would ever get anything done (save for spreading their DNA all over town )

Ohh yeah --- there is the solutions to all the worlds problems and how your constantly tripping over "epiphanies" --- but then you actually make the mistake of writing them down and looking at them the next morning

Those were the days but lets not jump out of the frying pan and into the fire, Americano's are lazy enough, lets just keep it recreational and reduce the charges to a hand slap -- I gotta have it slightly illegal -- it keeps the excitement alive...
      Bah, this forum could really get interesting, imagine all the projects that would be built. Stoner ingenuity always amazed me in college, those guys could make a smoking device out of just about everything.

On a more serious note it really is dumb that so much is made of a dumb plant, when tobacco and alcohol are still legal.

Comment

I found this interesting video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51731007&hl=en
        NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

Check out Law Enforcement Against Prohibition www.leap.cc and some of the LEAP videos on YouTube.

Right now, drug prohibition is costing us $69 billion a year, and it's a colossal rathole. After over 30 years of Tricky Dick's "War on Drugs," a cost of over a trillion dollars, and the highest incarceration rate in the world, drugs are cheaper, stronger, and more readily available than ever. Prohibition doesn't work. It has never worked in the history of civilization.

Far more to the point to legalize the stuff, have regulated sale, and have control over who buys it, and where. Prohibition gives the illusion of total control. In reality it is no control at all. All it does is give a government-guaranteed monopoly to the drug dealers.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

AK:

Now, I started out as a construction electrician, then bodyguard, (Worked with dancers) then various other jobs including tattoo artist..
            Do you think I was ever around drugs? yes.. but naive as I was, I partnered up with a guy in a tattoo business with a cocaine habit.. Lil did I know when the money started rolling in and I was building bikes and hotrods and looking for land to invest in, he would be abjectly broke, self made poor and stupid and moody to work around.
            About five years later, I moved in a retired beautiful redhead ex-topless dancer to train to tattoo.. she was just progressing to Shadows and depth in art when her meth-cocaine habit surfaced.. I had already been taking her to shows and she was a "MAGNET" that drawed to my booth and my wallet..
            I throwed her physically out the door after numerous attempts to clean her up failed. MEN, coming around with bags of dope.. Found out with a hidden tape recorder.. Yes, I can be as sneaky as I am polite and nice. Other people had keys to my house, with my 100k of gun collection and harleys..
            It stood for a interesting moment or two hitting a guy in the nose with a 44 barrel as he walked in my kitchen door while I was home with the flu.. I think I broke his nose.

Marijuana is a better drug on your body than alcohol, but it is illegal.. Some of the jobs I have worked would not tolerate any alcohol in your tests either.. first time councilling, second time dismissal..

Let me state, I have not smoked pot since the mid 80s.. Nor do I now. Nor do I promote it. I do see lots of people making illegal money off it.. Most sherriffs in the south do.
            Look up Billy Long, Chattanooga, and several here in Georgia Akin to Boss Hog in the DUkes..

I have drank myself silly.. it hurts your body.. it is a poison, as is marijuana. I can stand nor afford either presently.
            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
              lets just keep it recreational and reduce the charges to a hand slap -- I gotta have it slightly illegal -- it keeps the excitement alive...

I think that if you get caught with over an once that you have to give the cop at least one good rolled joint, there has to be some kind of a penalty to keep the fun in it otherwise its going to be just like alcohol --- I think ciggies should be taxed (more than they already are - Ciggies are something like 12 bucks a pack if you figure in long term medical ), I also think trans fat should be taxed out of existence or at least so it has to be smuggled into the country - then we could have trans fat sniffing dogs -- that would be really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                Marijuana is a better drug on your body than alcohol, but it is illegal.. Some of the jobs I have worked would not tolerate any alcohol in your tests either.. first time councilling, second time dismissal.
                Interesting concept – relieve the debt by legalizing Pot.

But how do you “Drug Test” in the work place for pot since you can test positive for 30 days?

Better yet, Marijuana can stay active in your system (to a minimal effect) for 30 days. So do you want to be working next to some one with legally marginalized mental capacity?

I work in an Oil Refinery where things tend to Blow Up and Burn when people make mistakes. I am 100% confident no body here wants to work along side folks of legally marginalized mental capacity. In fact I wish they would test those Pipe Fitters more.

Comment

Owner of that last sheetmetal plant and his son, both potheads. Ultimate father-son activity, sitting in the office passing the bong.

Yeah. No wonder they failed.

I've worked with potheads, not just there but at other jobs and let me tell you when you are threading a styrofoam sheet extruder at 60 FPM through S-wraps and nip rollers to a powered winder with a high-speed chop-and-switch-and-restart turret... you don't want anyone with dulled reflexes working with you.

You DO NOT want a pothead hanging an $375,000 injection mold and trying to plub the cooling lines, attach all the secondary motions and then try to write a program. IF you can get him to say on the task for longer than a half-hour you might get him to at least put the mold in backwards... or if you are lucky leave it dangling, suspended over the brand new Milicron Roboshot press while he goes out for another hour-long "smoke break."

You want these people setting up and running press-brakes? You start bending intricut shapes you can run out of finger room real fast and get cut/pinched/severed by a shape you are bending. Need good reflexes, this isn't time to be jonsing for some corn-chips, maaaaaaaaan.

While it would provide a revenue stream it would be the absolute death of manufacturing and any sort of skilled technical work in this country. The final nail in the coffin so to speak.
                  This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                  Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                  Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Last edited by tattoomike68; 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I would point out that the problems you cite are not currently prevented by drug prohibition, and there is no reason to believe they would be worse if drugs were legal.

"Legal drugs" would NOT! give one the right to be high on the job, any more than "legal alcohol" gives one the right to be drunk on the job.
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Tax revenue? Nope. The amount spent on enforcement which trickles into all phases of the economy far exceeds any possible tax revenue. Seventy billion a year at the very least spent on enforcement. Around $500 for every person. Figure half the population won't use any. 3 joints a day for half the population at a buck a joint to equal the amount or money circulated in the economy. You really want a hundred million potheads? Take that money out of circulation and there's a major problem. OF course, then there will be a huge market for testing supplies and increased auto insurance and all the other enforcement that goes along with a hundred million potheads.

The government could stop drug trade dead by many means. They don't and they won't because too many people make too much money the way it is now.

Comment

We should simply make the legality of a drug depend on just how harmful
                          it is... we have alcohol and tobacco as benchmarks. I'd say tobacco is prob. a little too permissive as it's physically addictive, though...

I've worked w/ alcoholics and potheads before; neither category did well, but more because of the personality issues that led to their habits, I think, than anything else.

Certainly stuffing prisons full of non-violent drug offenders, and then going into more public debt to build more prisons is insane. Do people realize that more than 1% of our adult population is in prison?
                          Bart Smaalders
                          http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

This is just what the workforce needs - a bunch of stonies punching in and turning out junk 8 hours a day. Even in my days at Berkeley in the 1960's it was obvious who the impaired were and how it limited their success. As the "designated driver in perpetuity" at the time I had, literally, a front seat view of the process.

Comment

The killer pot sells for $4,000-$6,000 a pound . Thats like buying a pack of smokes for $350.

I guess the dope man is better at business then our government.

If my states Liquar store sold packs of joints for $50 each they would make a fortune.

Comment

Working...
                              X