No announcement yet.

Why I like two-piece chuck jaws (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I like two-piece chuck jaws (pics)

With the advent of low-profile tires and their inevitable adaptation to trucks and even offroad applications the need to modify large diameter wheel rims has came to be.

Used to a weekend hot rodder needing to save a buck would buy a second hand set of alloy rims and modify the bolt pattern or tunout the pilot bore.That was easy enough to do since most rims were less than 16" on the OD and would easily fit in our 16" 3jaw.

This week I get a set of used 22" rims with a bolt pattern that's right,but a pilot bore that's to small.

To turn these in our 24" swing lathe would normally mean removing the gap and fitting the larger 4 jaw chuck and dealing with the ridiculous overhang produced by the silly wide gap bed.

I said screw it and made a set of aluminum top jaws.I profiled them to fit the contour of the rim and extend the limit of the 3 jaw chucks reach.

What would have normally taken 4hrs of setup and 30 minutes of actual machining was reduced to 45 minutes of setup and machining.More profit,less time and better result.The customer is happy,I am less grumpy and I have a new tool in the arsenal.

They managed .250" DOC @ .018" per rev and 80 rpm,no slip,no chatter and no scratches in the pretty chrome.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Very very nice indeed

Very nice job WS.

I hope this gives some comfort and reassurance to those who may want to "dip their toe" into soft-jaws as well as quieten down the "Never work" and "Doubting Thomas" brigades.

Solves most of the 3-jaw "problems" too.

Comment

Outstanding !

Comment

I've had a couple of chunks of aluminum looking for a project,guess where they are going tomorrow?
        Heck of a fine idea Wierd, Thanks for the tip. Nice range extenders.

Can't for the life of me figure out why people want 22 or 24" rims on their vehicles, but hey if they're gonna run them you might as well make it profitable.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Weird,

THANK YOU for posting that little tidbit !!!

Lenord

Comment

I dont do rims or the like but I sure wish 4 inch lathe chucks could have 2 piece soft jaws!

Comment

Chucking up!!

Well TM,

As your lathe will take a 4" chuck, I doubt that a 5" chuck would kill your lathe so try these:
              A selection:
              https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Lathe-Chuck-Soft-Jaws

An individual set:
              https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...tockCode=C2851

For a chuck:
              https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/3-...t-Lathe-Chucks

An individual chuck:
              https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=C202

Comment

Nice setup!

The 2 piece jaws are very handy - I used then yesterday to turn a thin section ring.

Has anyone seen 4 jaw chucks that have 2 piece jaws? It always seems to be 3 (or 6) jaw chucks that have them.

Ian
                All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Ian,
                  I have an 8" Bison 4 jaw that came with one piece jaws, however I purchased a set of two piece jaws for this chuck. I think they were listed in the Bison catalog.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B
                    Has anyone seen 4 jaw chucks that have 2 piece jaws? It always seems to be 3 (or 6) jaw chucks that have them.
                    Ian
                    We have several American Pacemakers at work that have 2 piece 4 jaw chucks on them. We also have a bunch of one piece four jaws. Not sure what make the chucks are but they do come in real handy.

I set up and made 4 sets here at home for my 6 in. 3 jaw chuck. I've only used them a couple of times but there are worth a ton when you need them.
                    Jonathan P.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      as well as quieten down the "Never work" and "Doubting Thomas" brigades.
                      Did I miss a thread where soft jaws were blasted and put down, or are you just full of it?

Looks good weird, I've done some similar jaws before, they work great. It also helps on thin or odd shaped items to drill and tap a hole on the outer edge for a small toe clamp.

I hate removing the damn gap bed also

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                        I've had a couple of chunks of aluminum looking for a project,guess where they are going tomorrow?
                        Heck of a fine idea Wierd, Thanks for the tip. Nice range extenders.

Can't for the life of me figure out why people want 22 or 24" rims on their vehicles, but hey if they're gonna run them you might as well make it profitable.
                        Well it's not my cup of tea either,but it pays the bills.

I seem to recall some piece of legislation a few years back that was supposed to reduce the rubber on the road literaly.Something about cutting down the amount of rubber in a tire/lanfill space yada,yada,yada.

TM,I have a 4" 3 jaw I bought from CDCO.I'm thinking the jaws on those are just case hardened.I may try making them into step jaws if I get time.

Comment

Soft Jaws

I have always loved what could be done with soft jaws. If you are turning a fragile part or something that needs extra support, you can turn the exact radius to grip the stuff you are working with. Not only that, but if you have the same size chuck, with 2 piece jaws, on your indexer or rotab, you can do operations where you have to drill into the jaw to drill through the part. Working with all the odd stuff we had to make at the university, soft jaws were a way of life. We made our own when we had a little time without any deadlines pushing us.

I always wanted to make a set of "pie jaws" for turning rings and thin sheets. They sold those for a pretty price but they were just aluminum soft jaws that were triangular, like a slice of pie. I could have put a set of them to use for the plex tube turning jobs I had.
                          Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Scishopguy
                            I always wanted to make a set of "pie jaws" for turning rings and thin sheets. They sold those for a pretty price but they were just aluminum soft jaws that were triangular, like a slice of pie. I could have put a set of them to use for the plex tube turning jobs I had.
                            Ya,I have seen those,pie quarters.I have a section of 3/4" tooling plate sitting doing nothing,sounds like a good use for them.

Comment

Perhaps

Originally Posted by oldtiffie
                              as well as quieten down the "Never work" and "Doubting Thomas" brigades.
                              Originally posted by mochinist
                              Did I miss a thread where soft jaws were blasted and put down, or are you just full of it?

Looks good weird, I've done some similar jaws before, they work great. It also helps on thin or odd shaped items to drill and tap a hole on the outer edge for a small toe clamp.

I hate removing the damn gap bed also
                              I will answer the second question first.
                              are you just full of it?

Yes - absolutely, I thought I'd made it pretty clear.

Now, to the first question.

Did I miss a thread where soft jaws were blasted and put down

No.

So far as I know there was no such thread specifically - so you didn't miss it - so far as I know.

My reference was to those who, in threads relating to chucks that were "out" to varying degrees, as well as collets and collet-holders etc. as well as costs, who when I referred to the many advantages of soft jaws just chose to not comment.

The OP made a point - very well too - that I have often referred to - the range of sizes that soft jaws can address as opposed to collets etc.

Soft-jaws can grip "thin disks" as well any and much better than most other alternatives.

If cost is an issue and there is a 3-jaw chuck with "two-part" jaws, soft-jaws as a viable option is a "no-brainer" - particularly as it doesn't matter if the chuck and jaws themselves are "bell-mouthed" or have any other defects as the machining of the soft jaws will be as true as the lathe itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X