Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs chuck selection help

Hi all

I need a 4 jaw independent chuck for a steam engine project I am making.

I have a 7x10 mini lathe and according to the info in the “little Machine Shop” it seems that a 5” diameter chuck should fit on the lathe. The cost is about the same as a 4" diam. Is there a down side to buying the 5” jaw chuck for this lathe over the 4”?? What am I missing??

Many thanks

Ken K1UM

It seems to me as though you should be okay with a 5" chuck, but I think it's difficult to make a definitive statement about it. "Fit" and "be in proportion to the rest of the lathe" are two different things, and the latter is hard to quantify.

For example, I could probably fit an 8" chuck on my 10K, but I think a 6" chuck is actually a more appropriate size. Others might disagree.

One thing that might come into play is clearance for the cross slide; will the cross slide go under a 4" chuck, but not a 5" chuck? The cross slide doesn't necessarily HAVE to fit under the chuck, but it might be worth thinking about.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

another thought

Looking at the same question myself. Thinking that 11 lbs for the 5 in diameter chuck is adding quite a bit of metal vs a more reasonable - imo - 7 lbs for the smaller one. But, there is that extra inch of capacity...

Aside: pls post back with your choice & how it works out.

Comment

A 4 inch chuck on a 7 x 10 lathe is a nice compromise. Yes, it's heavier, but mine's had no problems spinning it. The controller uses a soft start, so it spins up slowly anyway.

A larger chuck usually has a larger bore, which may be nice.

With a 5 inch chuck your jaws will protrude an inch when holding a piece that is about 2 or 3 inches diameter. They will hit the ways much sooner than you think that they will.

The end result is that a larger chuck will not always let you work on larger pieces. It will do a better job when holding a large piece from the inside.

I leave my 4 inch, 4 jaw independent on my 7x12 lathe most of the time.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the guidence.... I have decided to go with the 4 jaw chuck from the Little Machine Shop...

Ken

Comment

Going With 4" Chuck!!!

Chris at Little Machine Shop told me that 5" chuck is simply too big for 7x10 HF lathe!!

Comment

Good to know, I am pondering a 4-jaw too.
              This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
              Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
              Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

4 Jaw Chucks

Hi Ken
                I suggest that you take a look at Varmint Al's web-site.
                http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm
                When you get there click on 4 Jaw Chucks at the top of the page.
                You will find useful information there.
                Chuck

Comment

More on chucks

Hi Again
                  http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...03-Jaw%20Chuck

I believe you will find just about all you want to know about chucks and backing plates for your 7 series lathes here.
                  Chuck
                  Last edited by Yankee1; 02-10-2009, 12:19 AM. Reason: misspelled a word

Comment

Great, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X