No announcement yet.

Keller 1A Die Filer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a small 1/4" mini-hacksaw blade in mine. Works ok for relatively straight cuts. But I want to find a source for jeweler's saws 1/8 or smaller.

Even better would be a "wire-saw", if I could find a decent one. Those things cut in any direction without rotating, but I haven't seen one claiming to work on metal except for a really crappy import thing that looked utterly worthless. Problem here is that I doubt the return spring is sufficient without mechanical "push", so some sort of physical return aid would likely need to be designed (like a scroll saw).
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I've been using blades from Olson, although I have also had good experience with Swiss and German jeweler's saw blades. The Olson blades are more stout, and seem better suited to the die filer. The return spring tension on both my Butterfly and Keller is adequate for the return stroke of the blade.

Look about two thirds of the way down the page, there are Metal Cutting Scroll Saw Blades listed.

Mike

Comment

Two things of note on the Keller, that I thought I'd pass along as I'm giving mine a once-over:

One, there's a date cast into the bottom side of the table:

I can't say for sure that it'll be there for all years and models, or that production was steady enough that the machine was actually built and sold within a reasonable period from the time it was cast, but there it is. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has a date cast into their table, and if so, what is it. Might put together a short list along with the serial number, for future reference.

And two, you might keep in mind that the base casting forms the bottom of the crankcase. The filer body is not independent of the base or motor:

Fortunately I had papers down.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Die filer help

Rolland,

have a look through this Google list - it should help.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...le+Search&meta=

Comment

I managed to kill a couple of hours today pulling it a bit further apart and managing to paint a preliminary few pieces.

I'd debated bothering to strip and paint it, and considered just cleaning it, since it appeared in pretty good shape. I'm glad I went ahead and stripped it tough, as the yellow basically fell off, revealing a sickly-tone green base coat that's either a primer/sealer, or the factory paint.

I didn't like the yellow, and I dislike the green even more. Machine grey it is!

A few pieces had some surface rust- the upright support bar, the table top, and the table angle adjusting screws, mainly. The screws took a little brushing, but eventually came out unharmed.

I don't imagine die filers see a lot of use or abuse in general anyway, but overall this particular one appears low miles and mild use. One of the rubber motor mounts is out of whack, but it's just a bent bracket. This thing'll be back together in day or two.

I got a small set of eight 3" files in off of eBay, that'll get me started at least.

Doc.

Comment

E, Thanks for the post and pictures. I have this filer and never knew that feature existed.

Originally posted by ehughes
              Might be of interest, our Keller has a chip blower operating from the hole in the casting near the piston. Regards, Earl
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Wow, I have not seen or used one of these since I was an apprentice toolmaker. Some 25 years ago.
                Apprentices these days look at you stange when you start to explain filing machines and filing dies, they quickly follow with why didnt you use the EDM or wire cut.
                It is great to see I am not the only one that has a fasination with old machines.

Comment

That's what I've run into when friends- and even family- ask about it. "It's a what?"

I've found it easier to call it a "power file"- that's easier for them to grasp.

Doc.

Comment

Keller Die Filer

Doc,

The photo of oil spilling out of the base is all too familiar.
                    I've had no luck trying to seal mine.
                    What do you suggest for making it leak-free?

Comment

Not sure yet, I'm still in the cleaning and painting stages.

But, that said, I was planning on using Permatex #2 nonhardening gasket adhesive. It's a very good all-around sealant for automotive use, and when I build an engine, I use it on virtually everything but the head gaskets. I've never had a water neck or valve cover leak using it- and that's not an exaggeration.

'Course, good preparation helps.

In automotive use, it's not something you use by itself, like RTV. Smear it on (usually paper) gaskets.

In this case, though, the base and the front cover should fit closely enough that the sealant should do pretty well by itself. That's my hope, anyway.

Just make sure the surfaces are completely free of old sealant or other gunk, no chips or burrs, and degrease 'em well with carb cleaner or similar.

Doc.

Comment

Working...
                      X