Boring head project advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring head project advice

Got a few hours to go play in the garage again, started on the boring head I've been wanting to make. I have quit a bit done but have some questions before I finish up.
    1. If I have a 40 tpi screw should the dial be 25 or 50 graduations? I was going to go 25 but this would be .002 per graduation, the norm is .001 correct?
    2. I used a piece of aluminium for the for a temp gibb, can this be brass or does it need to be steel? Or maybe copper? I have copper that's why I ask.
    3. The third boring bar hole on the side or end, is this useful or should I leave it out?

Here's a few pictures of the progress, it's approx 2 1/4". Thanks for any help.

Clinton

Nice work there. Some of those questions could just be a matter of personal choice.

When I made a boring head somewhat like that I did put 50 graduations on the dial. There's room for them on your circumference, and if there's ever any confusion about whether it's that much on the radius or the diameter you'll err on the safe side (more to take off).

Brass or steel would be better choices for gib material than copper. One might argue steel for strength or brass for non-galling but you're not likely to have problems with either in that situation.

I put a square hole straight through in mine but have to say I've never used it. OTOH, I've read comments from people who have used that feature so if you're giving yourself all the options you may as well go for it.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Beautiful work!

40 tpi is 0.025"/turn so 20 minor divisions and 5 major divisions would indicate 0.001"/div. If the dial does not become cluttered then 50 divisions would present 0.0005"/div which is a darn fine line on a boring head. You can probably estimate that at just 25 divisions.

Comment

I have used all the holes say like a really large bearing bore you might use the side hole and i have used one of the end ones for turning a boss on the side of a hit and miss model so more holes more options

Comment

Very nice work. Brass, steel and cast iron are the usual choices for gibs and I have seen some from acetal or other rigid plastics although I would not recommend them for this application. I think copper or aluminum might not have the smooth movement you will get from harder materials.

Most boring heads graduate the dial in actual material removed, so the actual movement of the slide is doubled. Jan's suggestion of 50 grads equates to 0.001" on the bore.

The cross hole will be appreciated if you have it when you need it to do a large bore, and it is easier to put it in now than in the middle of a job if the need should arise.
          Jim H.

Comment

Dang Clint, you shore do purdy work!

This is strictly 'for what its worth' - absolutely no scientific backing (Destroy this tape when finished, etc, etc)

During my recent rebuild on the Katrina South Bend lathe the shop gremlins stole the gibs for the saddle (never has shown up either!) I went to the scrap box and got a piece of ?? iron/steel and trimmed to fit, then put it on the surface grinder and made sure it was flat. Installed it and despite adjustments/oiling it just wasnt smooth.

So I've got this big cast iron base off a junked chinese planer and I band sawed a piece of cast off and repeated the grinding etc and changed the gib out --- whoa!, what a difference...smoooooth.

YMMV
            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess I'll either make the gibb out of cast or brass which ever I find first. The aluminum was just to lock it together so I could machine the rounded sections on the body. This and my other 2 projects started life as part of this had 2 given to me, they were 5"X 5" X 4". I should really stop being so cheap and buy proper sized stock.

I think I will also add the third hole, mine as well if I have in the vise.

And 50 graduations it is If I can get them all to fit, the dial face it only 5/8" diameter.

I'll post up some more as I get time to work on it, and thanks again.

Clinton

Comment

If you say youve been slicing those blocks up with a hand-held hack saw ...........

Do you know what the blocks are? Sure looks like it machines up nicely.
                If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

No no hand hacksaw not that cheap. I bought a 4X6 bandsaw off kijiji after buying the lathe. I believe the guy I got them off said they were 1018 but I can't be too sure. They came from Bucyrus they build mining equipment so It could be something else. It does seem to machine pretty nice though.

Clinton

Comment

Looks great Clinton -- I gather you're following Ishimura's plans?

http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/bo...ing_head-e.htm
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Bloody nice work Clinton. Looks like you've been working through the page of projects on the mini lathe workshop page. I just saw that yesterday and that and your work so inspired me that I've decided to build some of them myself. I like that the drawings are available for free and easily read too. Keep up the great work buddy, and remember - we all love pictures - the more the better
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                        Looks great Clinton -- I gather you're following Ishimura's plans?

http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/bo...ing_head-e.htm

Beat me to it Lazlo

I really fancy that keyway-cutter, and I have a job for one too.
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Yep I contacted him a while back to express my gratitude on his webpage and all his great info and to make sure he did not mind me building some of his great tools. I changed some of the dimensions on all the projects so far but they are close for being imperial instead of metric. I should have bought some round stock for this like he started with, would have made the project easier. But having a guide like this makes getting into the metalworking hobby way easier.

Clinton

Comment

Another very nice project. Looks like you copied a Maxwell boring head . I have one just like it . Factory uses steel gib , but cast iron are brass is fine. keep up the first class work.
                            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Boring head

Damn nice work. For sure put the cross hole in, great for large bores also you can put your boring bar in and use it as a flycutter. Peter
                              The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Working...
                              X